Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914nerd
I am preparing to embark upon a turbo build and know that, while not terribly common, there are other people out there who have done this.
If some of those people are willing, I would appreciate some information and pictures of the routing and some of the specs for the hardware that you used.
Besides, who can say no to boost? w00t.gif burnout.gif
Crazyhippy
I installed DOHC and water cooling while i installed my turbo motor, oh and 30yrs of tech.... WRX motor in a 914...

BJH
Evill Ed
QUOTE(914nerd @ Mar 22 2007, 01:21 PM) *

I am preparing to embark upon a turbo build and know that, while not terribly common, there are other people out there who have done this.
If some of those people are willing, I would appreciate some information and pictures of the routing and some of the specs for the hardware that you used.

Go to my album IPB Image and read the Excellence article on my old 914. Enlarge the pages to full size to read them.

Ed
jk76.914
QUOTE(Evill Ed @ Mar 22 2007, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(914nerd @ Mar 22 2007, 01:21 PM) *

Go to my album IPB Image and read the Excellence article on my old 914. Enlarge the pages to full size to read them.

Ed

Thanks for posting the article..... What a car!
iamchappy
Four or Six, this is what I have going in my car.
iamchappy
Pictures of my old setup.
airsix
I did a 1.7l turbo. All stock internals. The only problem has been keeping the oil in the case while under heavy (10-13+psi) boost. Little to no leakage at 8psi.

My formula:

stock 1.7 long block
Perfect Power MIC3 ECU (fuel + ignition w/ boost retard)
Bigger bosch (BMW 328) fuel pump
D-jet fuel pressure regulator modified to raise pressure 1:1 with boost
static fuel pressure raised to 35psi.
O-ringed Holly throttle body from Chrysler turbo (~1.5mm larger bore than stock d-jet)
Saab blow-off valve
IHI turbo from 1.8L Subaru
DIY exhaust & flanges.
DIY intake plumbing
wideband O2 for tuning

What it sounds like.

I think that's about it. I have an intercooler that I haven't taken the time to install yet. Too many projects (work, school, just moved, etc.) See my blog for some pictures. It's a ratty DIY job, but it got me boost and got it cheap. Not intended as a permanent solution. Next up is a -6 or a STi mill.

-Ben M.

JohnM
QUOTE(airsix @ Mar 24 2007, 12:55 AM) *

... What it sounds like. ...

Airsix that sounds good--

As a funny aside, I had a crack in my muffler and bad bearings in my alternator that made my 1.7 sound like it had a turbo, really! I would have a ricer pull up and ask me if it was turboed every once in a while until I fixed it. A low boost turbo in mine is something I may do sometime in the future. John
tdsmoonchild
I had a crazy idea that I probably won't be able to do. What about twin small turbos, like the kind for 1L or 1.2L motorcycles on a 2.0L motor. Just a thought.
iamchappy
These are pictures of my first non intercooled version running 8lbs with a 3.0 six with 8.5.1 compression.
Jake Raby
2.5L
EFI/ Direct fire
IPB Image

Many, many more are right behind this one in the development and production queues.

Building the TIV to hold boost is not to be taken lightly.
burton73
I had a very nice turbo custom built for my fresh 2 .0 - 4 on my 73 by Galen Biker 26 years ago. The engine was set us with lower compression pistons for the turbo and I was running 7 lbs of boost only. The important thing is to have bellows in the exhaust so the pipes do not crack. After running around at boost for some hard runs, the exhaust would glow red.

The car would go very fast. It was not quick but it was very fast. After the turbo lag the boost came on and all hell broke lose and it just pulled in each gear and you where going super fast before you knew it like all turbo cars. Turbo cars can fool you. You look at you Speedo and you are going very fast. Really pulled when going up hills.

The problem with this engine was when I built it I put in hydraulic lifters that just happened not to be hardened by the factory. They kept going out of adjustment. After some time I pulled the engine down and found the problem. The manufacture said they would give me new ones. A big thanks. Not even the gaskets and all the other parts I needed to put it back together. This pissed me off so I sold the Turbo engine and went for a 3.0 - 6 conversation.

Still if staying with a 4 the turbo can give you a lot of power if done right. Please note DONE RIGHT. DO NOT OVER BOOST IT.

Also Jack is showing a very trick engine that is lots of money. Very pretty as well.

Bob
burton73
QUOTE(914nerd @ Mar 22 2007, 02:21 PM) *

Are you doing this on a 6?

Bob
iamchappy
The 3.12 Turbo engine pictures in my first post should deliver 450+ reliable horsepower at .8 to 1 bar of boost.
The non intercooled version at 8lbs was putting out close to 350hp which made a very exciting and quick ride to 130 with short gears.
914nerd
/4 is my application, but drooling over /6 turbo pictures is fine as well
burton73
Drooling over a 6 turbo is cool, super cool but money serious MONEY! - POWER! serious power.

I put a 911SC front end in my car for breaks and ran Mahle Gas Burners for super light wheels. That was all the breaks that I needed. Back in 1980 a 78 SC Suspension was fresh for me. On a budget you may find a 4 turbo a good bang for the dollars. A fresh engine. I do not know what the people are using to in rich the fuel under boost. That was the trick. I had to trick the computer on the stock 73 injection. It did work but something better or more controlled may be available now.

A non-intercooler turbo will give you a given amount of HP at a given amount of boost
They can figure it out on paper. This being the turbo guys. Just run with out any intercooler as I did. It was fine and very fast. Much faster than a stock 914-6

The formula is 2 liters at 7 -8lbs of boost equals the same as a displacement of say 3 liters. This may not be right but it gives you an idea how a turbo works verses a naturally aspirated engine. More boost more displacement and more power till it blows. There can be problems so it is better to keep it to the mild side of the boost.

As the engine is forced feed it needs not to leak and the exhaust needs to be done correct for the 914 as there is a lot of heat. It all needs to done right, but as I said I really liked the 4 with turbo. It will never be a 6-S but it will not cost you as much if you are starting with a 4 car.

Bob
Jake Raby
Do searches on the www.shoptalkforums.com and read about the design flaws the /4 has to overcome to effectively hold boost reliably.

I also have aTurbo specific forum over at my online community- all we do there is talk /4 development, design and share the results of my test work.

This summer will break a lot of ground for the boosted/4 thats built for the street, two years of component and engine design development will start being applied in practical application, force failure type test work. I have 4 engines to purposely kill by the time fall rolls around....
ottox914
Here is the link to my turbo project:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...83&hl=turbo

Not alot of progress over the winter as I had hoped, but when I get back from a family vacation this week, I have 1 week to finish the charge line piping, get the oil supply, scavenge pump, and return done, button up a few other small things, and off to the dyno on April 7 or so. It will go or blow by April 23, as that is the date of our auto cross novice school, and as one if the CDI's for the club, I had better have a better ride than my company car, (ford 500) or wifes Pacifica.

Teaser photo below...
nein14
Guy's everyone keep's trying to build a new mouse trap and not forget but ignore that EvilEd did it not once but TWICE successfully.

As most know it was done the 1st time on a 1.7 motor and documented in Excellence June 02' and then again by Ed to 2.0 litre specs.

I have had the car for 3 years and drive it as much as possible weekly and it is a very very reliable design and a blast to drive with no turbo lag and boost is set at 9lbs. for the street. aktion035.gif
burton73
When I did my 2.0 - 4 it was 27 years ago. There where no kits. A lot of the guys here where not born. Are there any good 914 turbo kits made as easy bolt on? Back then everything was custom welded to fit.

Bob
iamchappy
Maltese Falcon - MSDS made a turbo kit for the 914 in the late 70's.
http://www.msdsinc.com/about.htm
burton73
Marty,

Is a very nice guy. He dropped off a rear valance to my shop to fit my 914-6 GT flares as he was near by. I see nothing on his site on 914 4-turbo kits except that it was his first item and it made the 914- 4 as fast as the 911. He has a super nice Turbo 6 rocket.

Bob
iamchappy
Marty stopped producing the kit a long time ago, I was planning on purchasing one from him in the late 70's. I had my 2.0 engine rebuilt with lower compression for this reason but never followed through with it. I had an old sales brochure stashed away somewhere but haven't been able to uncover it, maybe Marty will post it sometime.
I had always dreamed of having a 914 turbo Carrera, a couple of years ago I started fabricating my own and now am getting close to having this lastest version on the road.
I have some thoughts on another type of install that would give me more of my rear trunk space back, I still miss not having a place to stash the roof.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentHere's the front of the 1976 MSDS turbo brochure. Note the skinny tires on the 15" fuchs ! That pic (top right) was taken up on Mulholland (at grandstands). The kit was a whopping $1,000.00 and were hard to sell. My company morphed into a small specialty exhaust and header buisiness, and the ROI (return on investment ) was 50 to 100% better then just making turbo kits. Today we still make specialty mandrel bends and exhaust products for other kit makers and tuner companies.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentsome other pics from the msds archives
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentToday this is one of the products made at MSDS, Mustang tri-Y exhaust headers...there were over 6 million early mustangs made. Our shop truck is a 1985 VW DoppleKabine powered by a 400 bhp LT1 chev sb.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentThanks guys for the heads up , at this time I'm tuning the MSDS 9146 flagship with a couple of new tech Turbonetics GTK 350s. Should be good for 700bhp if the old school engine management can support it. If not...then MoTech will be installed.
Chappy...your car is coming along TIGHT biggrin.gif
Marty
iamchappy
Thanks Marty, it's amazing what these projects develop into when you get the itch.
The guys at the body shop were sanding down the primer on the car last Friday, could be ready to get things put back together on it soon.

With 700hp are you gunning for a Carrera GT shown down.... Holy Shit!
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentChappy...CGT is not a problem down low. My little IHIs run out of airflow @ about 130 mph. The car is geared to go at least 165, so I figure that old school small turbos just don't have the cfm up top.
These should get the job done. I'll snap some pics while it gets fabbed up in the near future. Hey you and me should meet in Nevada and do the Silverstate run, it's WOT all the way biggrin.gif
Marty
Tobra
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 8 2007, 06:45 PM) *

is that a michelob can in that top pic, sure looks like one with a black bottom
John
QUOTE(Tobra @ Apr 16 2007, 10:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 8 2007, 06:45 PM) *

is that a michelob can in that top pic, sure looks like one with a black bottom

That is a coil with a michelob can wrapped around it. HA HA funny, funny
iamchappy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 17 2007, 12:56 AM) *

Click to view attachmentChappy...CGT is not a problem down low. My little IHIs run out of airflow @ about 130 mph. The car is geared to go at least 165, so I figure that old school small turbos just don't have the cfm up top.
These should get the job done. I'll snap some pics while it gets fabbed up in the near future. Hey you and me should meet in Nevada and do the Silverstate run, it's WOT all the way biggrin.gif
Marty

That would be so much fun, I hope I can finally get my car done this Spring so I can get out and participate and socialize with everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.