Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the best way to remove
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Ok, I decided to strip all the undercoating off from the areas I want to weld in the stiffening kits. I thought it was just some thick black paint but it is in fact undercoating. I got a chemical stripper and it says it will remove all coatings in one shot. I have applied the first coat and then scraped it but it seems a bit tougher than I thought. Any other suggestions on what I can use to remove all this stuff?

Aaron Cox
midgets with scrapers
slave labor
day workers
sand blasting
gasoline?

what about heat to soften it up and then scrape? kinda like floorboard tar?
sj914
Wire wheel on an angle grinder. use the twisted knotted wire on flatter surfaces and then use the regular wire wheel on the curves and angles.

i love porsche
wire/cable wheel is probably the easiest..but also going to be slow

ive found that a heat gun and a paint scraper works well, also an acetylene torch, just have to be careful with it

i dont think sandblasting will work, since the coating is relatively soft, it will jsut absorb the material and the impact
jd74914
For a lot of the undercoating on mine I used a torch and scraped it off with an old and chipped chisel.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Mar 23 2007, 03:36 PM) *

wire/cable wheel is probably the easiest..but also going to be slow

ive found that a heat gun and a paint scraper works well, also an acetylene torch, just have to be careful with it

i dont think sandblasting will work, since the coating is relatively soft, it will jsut absorb the material and the impact

agree.gif Bingo! Torch can be dangerous but does get a lot hotter than a heat gun. Warm it up however & then use putty knives, butter knives, screwdrivers, etc... After you have the bulk off use the wire wheel and/or sandblast. I know this from personal, agonizing, backbreaking, tedious, filthy & horrific experience. I did this to my truck & a 69 Charger R/T to lower my bill on my trucks' restomod. Not easy but you will be more than pleased at the end results.

cool_shades.gif
skline
Thanks guys, I will try it. Lot's to do to strip this crap off.
bd1308
gasoline does real well

cab cleaner works well too
Porcharu
Angle grinder with a wire/cable cup wheel. Goes thru undercoating like butter. You MUST wear some big heavy gloves with this thing - if it gets loose you will bleed. A lot. Then a quick wipe with some laquer thinner and it's clean bare metal.
skline
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 23 2007, 02:06 PM) *

Angle grinder with a wire/cable cup wheel. Goes thru undercoating like butter. You MUST wear some big heavy gloves with this thing - if it gets loose you will bleed. A lot. Then a quick wipe with some laquer thinner and it's clean bare metal.

That sounds like you are speaking from experience? I have had my run ins with wire wheels and they can be quite damaging. Thanks for the tip though.
Twystd1
Scott,

If it's aftermarket undercoating. You can Mix a 30%+ solution of stripper and MEK. (Home depot).

This will strip the hell out of it. works killer on paint too.....!!!!

Don't breath MEK. use max ventilation... it's bad shit to breathe.

Use plastic over stripper like I showed ya. let the chemical do the work....

If it's the factory floor undercoating. I would go with a heat gun and cup wheel...

Gimme a PM if ya need me over there to help.. I have the time.

Clayton
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 23 2007, 06:06 PM) *

Yes it does & yes you will. It also spits little pieces of black caca all over everything & everyone biggrin.gif . I forgot about the laquer thinner... it will wipe it right off afterwards on smooth, un-rusted metal.

cool_shades.gif
Bartlett 914
I have been doing a lot of this lately. I use a map gas torch. It has a trigger and fire instantly. I just warm it a little. There will be some smoke and occasional small flame on small bits sticking up. I use a wood chisel to remove it. Much better than a wire wheel and a lot neater. just keep the flammables away.
G e o r g e
So is the consensus bare metal under factory under coating?

when i have had the time, and the desire i have been stripping my 75 tub of this.

But i have beautiful factory paint underneath... confused24.gif

mine has been stripping right off with a 1 1/2" wide sharp chisel sliding across the flat surfaces, followed up by a squirt of carb cleaner than wipe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.