Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Fuchs may be deathtrap waiting to happen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
A nice set of 2.0 Fuchs that I had tires removed from. No damage of any kind.
If you are running 2.0 Fuchs you might want to check them carefully front and back. Don't become a statistic. It only takes a few minutes to look.
CCLINYOUHAVEBEENWARNED
KaptKaos
My friend Mike had the same thing happen to two of his fuchs. He had hit a pot hole pretty hard on one side and cracked two of them.

I have one, and it will make a nice clock one day =)
skline
That is actually quite common, I thought everyone already knew that they crack and break when driven hard. Good to mention it Craig.
balljoint
Those are the real deal right? The forged ones? What about the fake fuchs which are cast?
rhodyguy
they're worse. the sides are very soft. nice headsup boss. local member has an unsmacked wheel way out of true laterally. inspect when you rotate. eventually fuch 4s will carry more value than they currently do.

k
ClayPerrine
I have a nicely polished one that has a nasty crack in it. It is destined to become an end table some day.

rhodyguy
cool garden hose reels.

k
orthobiz
What!!!??? First global warming, now THIS? And all the while I'd owned Mahles, I lusted after the Fuchs. Say it ain't so...

PAULIAMDEPRESSED
bd1308
Why not weld em up?
G e o r g e
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Mar 23 2007, 10:54 PM) *

Why not weld em up?

I got quotes to fix, at a shop by, similair cracking 95 - 110 depending

i said no, you can pick up 2ltrs most every day in that range
bd1308
welding aluminum costs THAT much?

G e o r g e
at a wheel repair shop, yes

one of the shops was one Al reed recomended

not just welding, but cleanup and reshaping to look untouched on surface
LarryR
HOLLY SH*T!! can you imagine that going hot into a corner on the track!!!

lucky you found it by inspection.
orthobiz
Are the Mahle and Pedrini wheels exempt from this type of damage?

Paul
Brando
And that is why we should all go 5-lug with real Fuchs biggrin.gif
Bogaat
So I just bought my 914 last week and it appears that two of the wheels have such cracks. mad.gif One has been repaired...I think...it does still look cracked though. The other is only cracked half way through one spoke.
Anyone have two extras in decent shape? I don't mind putting a little elbow grease into them to get a shine, but would prefer not to deal with paint.
Tom
WOW,
Maybe I will be happy with my Enki's for now. Always thought I would try to get some Fuch's some day. Now ???
Tom dry.gif
type11969
I've heard from a reputable wheel rebuilder that cracked wheels that have been welded have a significantly higher chance of re-cracking at the weld, he would only guarantee wheels that have had cosmetic weld work performed on them.

Perhaps your experience differs, but I would seriously consider tossing any cracked wheels. Or use them for decoration.

-Chris
rjames
Are the Mahle and Pedrini wheels exempt from this type of damage?

I'd be interested to know the answer to this one too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.