Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The reason I am welding in reinforcements
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Is this normal? I have never stripped suspension console of the paint and everything usually found on them. I think I am making a good decision adding all the reinforcements. This is what I found underneath the undercoating on the suspension console. Both actually. What do you all think?

r_towle
um,,,for me its normal..
Weld on the parts from Chris, and add some pieces on the side, and especially on the bottom...and find the drain hole, clean it out and see if you can get the crap out from inside...its got some...

Like you I have had the fun of fixing a few POS cars...I figure every time I take the motor out, I will find something to weld...
Eventually I will sell it when I cant find anything more to weld...

Rich
skline
So do you think these are new pieces welded in? Are they replacements? I plan on doing some extensive reinforcing on these but it just struck me as odd that they both look like someone replaced them already.
r_towle
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it may have cracked (BTDT) and was redone just with a torch.

I would cover the whole thing with another layer...your gonna need it.
And possibly go for some sort of brace connected to the firewall (choose your design..there are a few)
Rich
r_towle
The little sliver that is spot welded on the right hand side is from the old MPS mounting bracket..You many have cut that off, if so,,,you know what I mean..if not..drill it out so Chris's parts fit right...

Rich
dakotaewing
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 23 2007, 10:53 PM) *

The little sliver that is spot welded on the right hand side is from the old MPS mounting bracket..You many have cut that off, if so,,,you know what I mean..if not..drill it out so Chris's parts fit right...

Rich

Does the engine shelf have to be removed in order to weld Chris' piece in properly ?
skline
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Mar 23 2007, 11:34 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 23 2007, 10:53 PM) *

Rich

Does the engine shelf have to be removed in order to weld Chris' piece in properly ?

Not sure if it does or not, mine is already removed as this is getting a V8 and was removed prior to me even getting the car. I would imagine it does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.