Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two annoying problems...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cnavarro
I've been driving my 914 alot the last few weeks and I have two problems. It seems that the driver's door when it opens up, drops a little....requiring half the time that I actually roll the window down a tad so that the glass doesn't catch when I go to open up the door. Similar scenario when I go to open the door, the glass catches again unless I lift the door slightly when opening. Is this an adjustment to the door hinges that needs to be made?

Secondly, it seems that the sway bar (or) some suspension component on the driver's rear makes an annoying tok tok tok when you go over bumps and is really bad when driving on gravel roads.

Any suggestions?

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
McMark
Rear sway bar bushings are known to disconnect themselves when the bushings get old. Get new bushings and pop them in. Quick easy fix.

The door thing is odd. Worst case scenerio is that there's rust in the longs causing the chassis to flex. Haven't ever heard of door hinges getting sloppy on these cars. I suppose if someone liked to sit on their door while it was open. lol2.gif
cnavarro
I took another look at the door, and the pins are halfway out on the hinges. Could this be compounding the problem?

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Joe Bob
Doors that have a hard opening or closing are MOST likely a rust victim.....when was the last time you popped the rocker covers off and looked at the longitudinals?

Bet you haven't.....
Eric_Shea
Regarding the door:

1 - Check you longitudinals for rust. Ever use your jack post? Does it exist? Look under the rocker for serious longitudinal rust

2 - Check the rubber seal on your top.

Regarding the rear noise:

1 - You have a rear sway-bar? If so it "might" need new bushings.

2 - It's probably your rear control arm bushings.
SirAndy
QUOTE(cnavarro @ Nov 29 2003, 04:03 PM)
It seems that the driver's door when it opens up, drops a little....

they do that after 30 years wink.gif also, people lean on doors while they're open ...

the door falls down after opening because the hinges are bent.
you can either bring the car to a body shop and pay them BIG $$$ to fix it or do it yourself. (btw. the body-shop won't let you watch them do it rolleyes.gif )

here's the secret:
open the door, grab the door from underneath at the end and SLOWLY PULL it up as hard as you can.

voila! perfect fit for another 30 years!!!
Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.