Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Trunk Rubber Seal Alternatives?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I think the same designer who put the battery in the engine compartment without a rain hat had to be the same guy who designed the front trunk rubber seal. This is one of the worst weatherstripping solutions ever. Fill the channel with rubber and hope that moisture won't get under it. Why not just a simple edge seal like the rear trunk?

What kind of alternative seals have folks used? In the second pic, I took the edge seal from between the gas tank and trunk and put it on the edge. This seems so simple a solution. Has anyone tried this? Got pics? Problems with an edge seal?

The channel on my red 71 is in real bad shape and the channel on the green 74 is much better but still rusted through in several places.

Comparing these channels with the rear channels on both cars is night and day. Not a bit of rust around the rear trunk seals; just nice shiny paint.

Phoenix-MN
I've been looking for this also. Found a couple of possibilities.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBro...ID:100000163410

This one is like the rear trunk seal.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBro...ID:100000219744

Paul
shelby/914
Let us know how these work out if you use them, eventually we all will need some.
1970 Neun vierzehn
That front channel is indeed a rust incubator that many owners overlook or fail to acknowledge. Not as bad as the "hell hole" or the sail panel, but as you have pointed out, a moisture collector nonetheless.
martinef1963
I have a front hood rubber, that doesn't want to stay in place up front on both sides of the light front lids. It doesn't look like they put a good application of adheasive.

Can someone tell me which is the BEST rubber adheasive out there for front hood, rear bumper, etc... on a 914.

thanks,
GaroldShaffer
When I get my car back from its body work (Hi Shelby) I will have a notch cut in these two spots so water will run out . Just need to make sure the drain in the headlight buckets is not plug. smile.gif
orthobiz
Don't know if it works, but someone told me you can just lay the seal back in and skip the adhesive???? Maybe cut down on water retention?

Paul
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 24 2007, 07:07 PM) *

When I get my car back from its body work (Hi Shelby) I will have a notch cut in these two spots so water will run out . Just need to make sure the drain in the headlight buckets is not plug. smile.gif

Give it time, it creates it's own drain.. the hell hole did headbang.gif happy11.gif

BJH biggrin.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 24 2007, 03:34 PM) *

Can someone tell me which is the BEST rubber adheasive out there for front hood, rear bumper, etc... on a 914.

thanks,

I don't use glue, I just let the seal hold itself in place. If the car gets caught in the rain or I wash the car, I remove the seal to allow the channel to dry. For the most part, the seal stays put and doesn't move around.

Spoke
martinef1963
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 24 2007, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 24 2007, 03:34 PM) *

thanks,

I don't use glue, I just let the seal hold itself in place. If the car gets caught in the rain or I wash the car, I remove the seal to allow the channel to dry. For the most part, the seal stays put and doesn't move around.

Spoke

Spoke - Mine looks knew and it appears that it was spot-glued on all four corners. I had some work done on the hood & passenger side front quarter panel. When they did, they pulled the seal off.

I did place it in the channel, however, it doesn't want to stay in place, the front side doesn't want to stay in the channel - it jumps before I can get the hood closed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.