Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doing a clutch in my 1.7 (1972)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mills914/s
I was told by my Porsche guy(TIM) Fastlaneporsche in Santa Cruz I have to replace my flywheel when I put in the clutch He said you cant resurface the flywheel because of the design. Is that true Do I need to replace the flywheel for sure when I do my clutch? And is it hard to set the end play on the crank when I do it?
Any words of wisdom from you guys would be great.
Thanks
Seth T M
Cap'n Krusty
Time for another wrench! This guy just pegged the BS-O-Meter! While you may very well need a new flywheel, they CAN be resurfaced. You may need to find a machine shop familiar with the process, but it's done all the time. You will also need to shim the release arm pivot bolt to compensate for the cut. The Cap'n
r_towle
You dont need to replace the FW unless its beyond repair.

You dont even need to resurface it, but its a good idea. Its like rotors, if its scored, or burnt, it will wear out the new flywheel disk quicker than normal.

the flywheel can be remachined, you just need to bring it to a machinist who knows how. There are two faces that need to be reground.
The face that the disk rides against, and the face that the pressure plate is bolted to. The reason is that you must keep the relationship between those two faces the same, so if you grind one, you must grind the other.

In some cases, its cheaper to buy a new flywheel, but new flywheels are not cheap for a 30 year old car...so you may want to remachine.
I think Jake sells flywheels.

As far as setting the thrust...it can be done in the car, but at that point its just easier to pull the motor and you have room to work and set up a dial indicator easier..
it can be done though..so if you really want to do it in the car...its possible.

Rich
mills914/s
Thanks guys I knew he was Full of S$#%! I know a great machine shop here that will do it. almost 400 for a new flywheel from pelican I couldn't believe that. Im going to resurface mine.
Thanks again guys
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(mills914/s @ Mar 24 2007, 10:28 AM) *

Thanks guys I knew he was Full of S$#%! I know a great machine shop here that will do it. almost 400 for a new flywheel from pelican I couldn't believe that. Im going to resurface mine.
Thanks again guys

A good machine shop, one familiar with 914s, will know there are limits to how far your flywheel can be cut. Let them decide. BTW, contrary to an earlier reply, you really need to be concerned with the quality of the surface. Hot spots result in chatter and that's just NOT acceptable. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.