Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift rod linkage removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
I recently converted my tail shift to side sift and once I got most of it back together, realized the rod that goes through the firewall isnt going to work and needs to be replaced. I have tried every way to get it out without having to drop the motor mount bar with no luck.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips to get it out without dropping the motor bar? Its a pain for me to do that so I thought I'd check one last time...

Thanks!
r_towle
Have you tried to jack up the motor...gotta unbolt the engine bar..

Rich
TROJANMAN
Were you trying to use a tailshift rod?
Have you unbolted it everywhere?
two cone screws and at the shifter?
You can try putting a little lube near the firewall, but it should just push out.
Or are you hitting the mount bar, because of length? Is that the problem?
More info please

push it real good........... sheeplove.gif
biosurfer1
Trojan,

You got it, the rod is completely disconnected but is too long and hits the motor mount bar when trying to slide it out. I tried to gets it turned to slide out through the hole in the motor mount bar but it wont make it.

I have a bad feeling I'm stuck dopping the motor mount bar:(
TROJANMAN
i've never done this, but have you tried going the other way with it?
Is there enough room in the center tunnel to go forward, then out the shifter hole?
biosurfer1
I can get it into the tunnel, but I cant get enough angle to get it out... who designed these damn things anyways!!!!

smile.gif
TROJANMAN
well...............you're not going to use it again, right?

sawzall-smiley.gif

There's not exactly a big market out there for tailshift bars either. Cut the damn thing biggrin.gif
biosurfer1
hm... never thought of that. Only problem is when I need to get the replacement in, I'll run into the same problem. Great idea though, thanks.

No big deal, just more time to get the damn thing off jackstands. On the plus side, I installed a new primer kit for my jetski and everything worked great the first time I tried, has to be one of the first times that ever happened...wish the 914 would work that way too!!:)
JWest
Yes, you will have to drop the engine mount bar to get the new side-shift bar installed.
Chris Pincetich
I'm doin the tailshift conversion now too - I might even finish tomorrow! beerchug.gif
The Lumpawalii Blog (go to Classics, find post, click in signature field link) has an excellent article on this, and many other projects. That account of the process states the engine must be dropped to fit the front rod in...the front rod doesn't come apart inside like the early one does. I'm sure you could get away with just dropping the bar. As you know by now, the mounts are not easy to access! I have my front rod in, connected to the shifter coupling, and new Rennshift as icing on the cake. I found it really nice to link the shift coupler to the front rod on my workbench for a test fit. I then puffed in some graphite dry lube (that I bought for shift bushings) into the splined hole on the linkage - it should REALLY help with the shift adjustment. What's wrong with your rod?
Good luck!
biosurfer1
the end that connects to the coupler must have gotten mushroomed out at some point. I did not test fit it before I put it in, know I know better. I have tried filing it down to fit but no go. I got another rod and it fits the coupler well, so I'll put it in soon.

thanks everyone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.