Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Temp Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BiG bOgGs
Since my ass reamin....I mean since I got my 914 back from the mechanics, my temp gauge wiggles then pauses, then wiggles, over and over again. Where should I look to track down the problem? confused24.gif

Jim
Spoke
Where did the mechanics work? Sounds like a wire is loose. The sender is under the engine in the taco plate. When you say wiggles, I assume that the gauge goes from engine temp to cold and back. If the sender was open circuited (loose wire), the gauge will read cold.

Spoke
Aaron Cox
check the connection from the sender wire to the connection by the battery....

that one wiggled loose on me before... or check the sender wire at the taco plate as spoke mentioned
John
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 24 2007, 09:50 PM) *

Where did the mechanics work? Sounds like a wire is loose. The sender is under the engine in the taco plate. When you say wiggles, I assume that the gauge goes from engine temp to cold and back. If the sender was open circuited (loose wire), the gauge will read cold.

Spoke

I agree.

Look at the areas where they may have disturbed a wire.

Check the temp wire as it passes through the engine sheet metal under where the battery lives. There is a single wire that connects to the harness there. If the wire leading down through the engine sheet metal has any cuts or abrasions, it may momentarily short to ground causing all kinds of gauge readings.

Other than that, as the others have said, look for loose wires:The sender wire, the ground wire, and the sender wire at the taco plate.

Good luck.
BiG bOgGs
I just pressure washed the bottom of the engine and then got under there and cleaned everything up.

(I have been having oil problems, but now that I got my remote oil cooler ...thanks Demick... now most of my smoking seems to be coming from the left over oil that spilled onto the exhaust. As rusted as most of it is it seems to have really absorbed quite a bit of oil.)

While I was under there I checked the wire from the taco and found it resting across the exhaust. I moved it out of the way and now it reads fine.

Thanks for the help guys! aktion035.gif I will be asking less questions once I get all of the manuals I have on order. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.