Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Way OT How to "get even" with stupid drivers on the freeway
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
One thing that really pisses me off is when people drive in the freeway fast lane slowly when there is empty right lanes. What gets me worse, is people pulling trailers, fifth wheels and motorhomes in the fast lane backing up a mile of traffic and won't move over.

Now I have fun......I pull up next to them beep my horn and I point down at their trailer like something is wrong. Of course, they worry, move out of the fast lane and usually get off the road to go look. At the minimum they move over every time! This works much better than the finger because they are typically too stupid to know why you flipped them off anyway....

Instead of being mad, I now laugh my ass off and feel I did other motorist a favor....
So.Cal.914
I like your idea. I also thought about a paint ball gun mounted in the car pointed

to the side like the pimp mobile in the 007 movie Live and let die...Could be fun.
Tobra
Only problem with that idea is they may panic, slam on the brakes and take out a dozen cars. Frightening how many people pulling a big heavy trailer are totally clueless.

I thought it was illegal for a vehicle pulling a trailer to be in the left lane unless they were passing, maybe that is just in certain states. Texas and Oregon are like that.
Allan
It's illegal in California to pull a trailer in any lane except the far right unless you are passing or have to move over due to an interchange or something, and then you can only move over into the second lane. BTDT...

You can always just make up a sign that says "Your car/truck/rv/trailer is leaking something".

That way they probably won't panic and just pull over to check.
BiG bOgGs
My Uncle is about 6 foot, and used to work on the OH Turnpike, and in the winters he would grow a beard to help keep warm. He would look like a bad ass biker dude for most of the winter. Durring one of these "beard" periods he was in his pickup and had some trouble getting it into gear when the light turned green. The car behind him laid on its horn. He jumped out and ran back to the car and in a worried voice asked the guy if he was OK. Are you having a heart attack? The guy shepishly answered no and that he was fine. Relieved, my uncle got back into his pickup and waited for the light to turn green again. Being that he is a truly kind hearted guy, it was really funny to hear that he did this.
TimT

Now I have fun......I pull up next to them beep my horn and I point down at their trailer like something is wrong.

Well people are always coming up with new ways to behave like assholes.

drive in the freeway fast lane slowly

now thats a conundrum isnt it?

This really bothers you enough to engage in childish behavior?

Im sure in the grand scheme, there are more pressing issues than this...
John
QUOTE(TimT @ Mar 24 2007, 05:30 PM) *

I couldn't agree more.

I like the idea. It's non-confrontational and would not necessarily create an irate/enraged driver (there are enough with road-rage to go around).

Besides, it seems like a public service.

I don't like the paintball thing as it IS illegal.
spare time toys
I had some a hole on my bumper just the other day mad.gif This guy would swing out like he was going to pass thenswerve back in. confused24.gif We are on a 6 lane street and 5 of them are empty he just wants to play. I look aeound in the cab of my truck and what do I see... The kids had gone to Six Flags and left one of those stuffed dogs in the back seat. I reached back and held the dog with its head out the window like it was a pet riding in my lap happy11.gif The nut ball swings out againand would you know it Fluffy jumped out the window and he hit it and swerved off to the side of the road. aktion035.gif aktion035.gif I about wet my pants laughing and didnt see him any more laugh.gif
sww914
I used to be on a tournament paintball team, and leaving a match, the defeated opposing team shot up a slow car in the fast lane. It turned out that the car was filled with Sheriff's Deputies. Behind the car was a motorhome also filled with Sheriff's Deputies, all leaving some overnight training exercise.
The shooters were pulled over by a car and a motorhome full of extremely angry Sheriffs and taken to jail.
It's illegal.
BTW, I DO do something illegal to get them to move over, I just stay in the fast lane with my brights on the whole time.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(TimT @ Mar 24 2007, 06:30 PM) *

Now I have fun......I pull up next to them beep my horn and I point down at their trailer like something is wrong.

drive in the freeway fast lane slowly

now thats a conundrum isnt it?

This really bothers you enough to engage in childish behavior?

Here in kali they run commercials to try and get dickhead drivers to get out

of the fastlane if your not mentally capable of driving with the flow of traffic.

It is a problem and has caused deadly accidents. Its nice that it is not a problem

in NY and other places, but this is not NY.

And I was kidding about the paint ball gun...lighten up.
grantsfo
Wish all people who hang out in fast lane could go to Europe and try the same thing. They would learn quickly fast lane means fast.

Ones that get me are the "enforcers". They do exactly speed limit and then speed up if you try to pass on right. My commute car is so darn fast that most enforcers that try anything are usually waxed with ease now.

My wife had a teen client who was talking about how her dad was always trying to teach "speeders" a lesson by getting in front of them and slowing down. My wife being classic psychologist asked "what do you think about that?" She said "I think he is a dick" biggrin.gif

Oh the other ones that get me are people who merge onto highway or freeway at 30 mph. Especially when I'm towing. They come from same gene pool as the enforcers except they like to live a little more dangerously.
Bleyseng
If you drive in the left lane on the Autobahn at only 120kph you will have a Audi or MB up your tailpipe soon.. av-943.gif Man, there you have to use it only to pass and get the hell out that lane.

Yeah my dad(80)used to drive exactly the speed limit in the fast lane and bitch about all the cars passing him. I finally got him to just move over to the right lane and quit his bitchin.

Me, I tossed a chocolate milkshake on a tailgater once. Yep, he drove right off the road with his wipers smearing that crap all over the place. He was tapping my bumper with his....I was in the middle lane, dunno what his problem was.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 24 2007, 08:23 PM) *

I used to be on a tournament paintball team, and leaving a match, the defeated opposing team shot up a slow car in the fast lane. It turned out that the car was filled with Sheriff's Deputies. Behind the car was a motorhome also filled with Sheriff's Deputies, all leaving some overnight training exercise.
The shooters were pulled over by a car and a motorhome full of extremely angry Sheriffs and taken to jail.
It's illegal.
BTW, I DO do something illegal to get them to move over, I just stay in the fast lane with my brights on the whole time.

This actually happened here last year:

Two cars of high school students were on a local interstate during rush hour. One of the cars pulled next to the other one and one of the passengers shot the windsheild of the other car with a paintball gun. That car veered of the road and hit a large overhead highway support sign at 65mph. Three of the occupants died on the scene. The driver and shooter from the other car will be in the state prison for the next 25 years for manslaughter. Occupants of both cars were football team mates

You are talking about road rage! It's more dangerous than driving drunk and twice as stupid!!!!!!! Be reasonable adults. Ignore the assholes and don't be one of them.
Tobra
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Mar 24 2007, 07:54 PM) *

Wish all people who hang out in fast lane could go to Europe and try the same thing. They would learn quickly fast lane means fast.

Ones that get me are the "enforcers". They do exactly speed limit and then speed up if you try to pass on right. My commute car is so darn fast that most enforcers that try anything are usually waxed with ease now.

My wife had a teen client who was talking about how her dad was always trying to teach "speeders" a lesson by getting in front of them and slowing down. My wife being classic psychologist asked "what do you think about that?" She said "I think he is a dick" biggrin.gif

Oh the other ones that get me are people who merge onto highway or freeway at 30 mph. Especially when I'm towing. They come from same gene pool as the enforcers except they like to live a little more dangerously.

My wife saw a woman die and kept the man driving the motorcycle alive until the ambulance showed up. He got hung up on the windshield frame of the boat that pulled out in front of him on a street where the speed limit was 45-50 mph, where Sunrise Blvd crosses the American River, Northbound if you are familiar with the area. Woman went into the side of the boat headfirst, trailer moron did not even get all the way pulled out into the road when they hit him. One frantic friend was saying they needed to help the woman, but Heather told not him she could not help her, judging by the angle if her neck and the color of her brains. Everyone said they shouldn't touch him, but he would bleed to death if they did nothing, she told them this. She had two guys get him down while she stabilized his neck and laid him on the ground. He was awake still, and one of the bikers kept saying, "He is really fuched up, he's gonna die!"

This was not helpful, and she told the big calm biker to get the chatty one away from her. She stabilized the victim's neck with two bricks she had one of the other bikers grab from the side of the road, ran back to her car to get some stuff for his sucking chest wound, and some pressure dressings. She was a home health nurse at the time, and had been a ER Trauma nurse, formerly ICU and CCU. Guy hit a boat in the middle of the road in front of the right little blonde chick. He made it to the hospital and but he died that night after midnight.

Nice thing to see on your way home from work one evening eh.
orange914
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Mar 24 2007, 04:10 PM) *

Now I have fun......I pull up next to them beep my horn and I point down at their trailer like something is wrong. Of course, they worry, move out of the fast lane and usually get off the road to go look. At the minimum they move over every time! This works much better than the finger because they are typically too stupid to know why you flipped them off anyway....

Instead of being mad, I now laugh my ass off and feel I did other motorist a favor....

i had a couple of old men and their wives get all bent once. i found you dont have to do anything crazy just wink and blow them a kiss. they blow a gasket faster than chevy on a hot aug. night stirthepot.gif
abbott295
Driving through Chattanooga one time in the van with my son who just flipped the 914, 75 North, trying to get onto 24 West, because of traffic I couldn't get over to the left for the exit until the last minute. (You can tell I don't drive in the fast lane when I'm not fast enough.) I finally had to get over and must have offended a driver because when they passed me afterwards. they flipped me the finger, two women in the car. So we smiled and waved really big at them. And then because traffic was slow the rest of the way through Chattanooga, they would pass us and be passed several times. Every time we would smile and wave. They quit looking our way.
brer
When I drive my 36hp beetle I merge at 40mph.

aktion035.gif

One time a guy in a raised jeep tried to gun it and merge before me,
only there was another car next to him so he swerved back again losing control and flipped his jeep. We waited until the highway patrol came and he apologized for driving like a moron and thanked us for stopping.

Unfortunately driving in the slow lane means occasionally you WILL encounter slower traffic. Dont blame them if you cant do 70 the whole way.

My bug thanks you for letting us merge.

LarryR
I have always wanted to mount a set of rear bumper windshield squirters that are pointed behind the car. Not just for that but for the a$$holes out there that will ride up your but even when you are going as fast as traffic allows.

My biggest pet Pieve is tail gaters. I get real nervous since I know my car can stop much faster than most of the idiots who choose to drive 1 - 1/2 car length behind me. Lay on the rear window cleaners smile.gif and I bet people will back off. Then I dont have to worry about laying on the turbo brakes hard just to get rear ended hard.

Mike D.
Hey Tim T. dry.gif

914 World Rules

Read Number Two

Sam Charters
Paul
Please let me enlighten you or attempt to, The reason most of the time, these type of vehicles are in those lanes it is to avoid sudden stops. In your car when you hit the brakes hard it stops, In a motor home you jam on the brakes anything left on the counters comes off , things in storage all fly forward. Some of those vehicles with trailers are just to heavy to stop in the same distance that little sports car can. Make no mistake they are probably driving in those lanes for others safety and there own. There is less stop and go in the left lanes. I am not saying right or wrong. They are making a call on what is safest. The smart driver stays behind them or way in front , not right in front.
Racecraft76
QUOTE(Sam Charters @ Mar 27 2007, 12:55 AM) *

Paul
Please let me enlighten you or attempt to, The reason most of the time, these type of vehicles are in those lanes it is to avoid sudden stops. In your car when you hit the brakes hard it stops, In a motor home you jam on the brakes anything left on the counters comes off , things in storage all fly forward. Some of those vehicles with trailers are just to heavy to stop in the same distance that little sports car can. Make no mistake they are probably driving in those lanes for others safety and there own. There is less stop and go in the left lanes. I am not saying right or wrong. They are making a call on what is safest. The smart driver stays behind them or way in front , not right in front.

I agree with your point on safety. However, these vehicles, if they cant stop quickly enough should leave a larger distance between them and vehicles infront taking their stopping distance into consideration. They should also be driving slower in the appropriate lane.

Its this kind of uneducated driving that causes many accidents and road rage (especially in the UK as it is illegal to overtake on the inside lane).

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Sam Charters @ Mar 26 2007, 04:55 PM) *

Paul

I have a 34' coach and I never found it nessesary to run in the fast lane and block

traffic unless I was passing. I maintained a healthy distance from the car ahead

of me. I have caravaned with other RV'ers and none of them found the urge to

block traffic eather. We prep our RV's before we hit the road, everything off the

counters and if it's going to stay its bolted in place. Storage is the same, if packed

correctly it dosen't fly. So I am not sure what your point is. confused24.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Racecraft76 @ Mar 26 2007, 05:20 PM) *

I agree with your point on safety. However, these vehicles, if they cant stop quickly enough should leave a larger distance between them and vehicles infront taking their stopping distance into consideration. They should also be driving slower in the appropriate lane.

Its this kind of uneducated driving that causes many accidents and road rage (especially in the UK as it is illegal to overtake on the inside lane).

welcome.png
Racecraft76
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 27 2007, 01:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Racecraft76 @ Mar 26 2007, 05:20 PM) *

welcome.png

Thanks for the welcome smile.gif
rjames
Be reasonable adults. Ignore the assholes and don't be one of them.

Extremely hard to do at times, but a hell of a lot safer in the long run.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Sam Charters @ Mar 26 2007, 03:55 PM) *

Paul

Please let me clarify this a little. I understand the above completely and I am not insensitive to it. What I am talking about is someone with a trailer or Motorhome (or similar big rig) on a 3-4 lane freeway sitting in the fast lane when there are clearly 2-3 lanes to the right of them (where they should be). We're talking Interstate 80 or similar here.

Now if it were a 4 lane freeway and they were in the #3 lane (3rd from the left) I wouldn't bitch since traffic is coming on and getting off in the lane to the right of them and clearly you can't stop as quickly or safely. Trucks and trailers have a 55 mph speed limit here so why are they in the fast lane on a 65 or 70 mph freeway?

What I am talking about is people who pick the fast lane becasue they like it. and don't give a damn that 200 people have passed them on the right. I suspect they don't even realize they are doing something wrong. If I can get them to move over without confrontation, I feel I did the public a favor.
Brian Mifsud
If the situation arises where you can come abreast of the "idiot".. roll down your window and frantically point toward the guys tires.. and yell..."Dude.. your tires!!!"

Their faces drop.. they thank you, and they quickly take the next exit...

I almost crashed last time I did that laughing my ass off so hard......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.