Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This winters progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bertus
Well last winter I took care of my hell hole rust and firewall rust issues with the help of some friends. This winter I tackled the floorpans. Here are some pics!
biggrin.gif
Here is a pic with tar paper removed.
Bertus
Picture of floorpans cleaned up and POR 15.
Bertus
Sound proofing added.
Bertus
Carpet kit from Morphenspectra installed.
So.Cal.914
Looks good, are you happy with the results of the sound proofing?
Bertus
To be honest I don't know yet. I still have to some other stuff to take care of before I get the car up and running again. But it has to be better than what I had, which was nothing!
Tobra
Real purty, probably net loss weight even with that nice thick carpet and made it quieter inside too I bet. I like the dash. Shoulda painted the brake handle, doh
Gint
Good work! I'd really like to see some more pics of that engine turned dash.
Bartlett 914
That looks real nice!. Was there any rust repairs or was that only surface rust / discoloration? What brand of sound proofing is that. I am about to do the same on my project. How hoch did you need and how expensive was it. Also, is this going on the engine side of the back wall?
Bertus
QUOTE(Tobra @ Mar 24 2007, 10:09 PM) *

Real purty, probably net loss weight even with that nice thick carpet and made it quieter inside too I bet. I like the dash. Shoulda painted the brake handle, doh

Thanks! Yeah now that you mention it the brake handle is pretty ugly. I'll need to go back and address that.
Bertus
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 25 2007, 05:53 AM) *

Good work! I'd really like to see some more pics of that engine turned dash.

Thanks! The dash face was installed by the PO, at first I was going to change it back to original, but it is starting to grow on me a little now.
Bertus
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 25 2007, 06:57 AM) *

That looks real nice!. Was there any rust repairs or was that only surface rust / discoloration? What brand of sound proofing is that. I am about to do the same on my project. How hoch did you need and how expensive was it. Also, is this going on the engine side of the back wall?

HI Mark,
I was lucky in that all the rust was just surface rust, nothing major at all. I just grinded it all out, cleaned up the floorpans with brake cleaner to get rid of the tar residue then prep'd and POR 15 everything.

I used Fat Mat, ordered it off the internet. I bought the 50 sq foot roll, you could probably get away with the 35 sq foot roll but it is only $10 more for the 50. Shipping and everything cost about $80.

I also installed the Fat Mat on the engine side, which I took down to bare metal and POR 15'd last winter so rust should not be an issue behind the pad.

Bert
Katmanken
Lookin good!

One thing that I would do to the engine compartment sound deadining mat is run a bead of sealer across the top edge and maybe the vertical sides to prevent water from wicking underneath.

That is one path (with the factory mat) that results in rainwater wicking in and eventually rusting holes through the bulkhead.

Ken
martinef1963
That looks real clean. I love the carpet color - I have metallic silver exterior - that color wouldn't work for me.

I want to do the same to my interior floor panels once I'm done w/ the rebuild - want to eliminate noise and water entry.

thanks for the thread.

Nando
Bertus
QUOTE(kwales @ Mar 25 2007, 08:34 AM) *

Lookin good!

One thing that I would do to the engine compartment sound deadining mat is run a bead of sealer across the top edge and maybe the vertical sides to prevent water from wicking underneath.

That is one path (with the factory mat) that results in rainwater wicking in and eventually rusting holes through the bulkhead.

Ken

Thanks for the tip Ken, I'll do that. My goal is to never get the cart wet, but thunderstorms always pop up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.