Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK...what gives
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Just transplated a 2ltr into my 74 which had a new pressure plate and 215 SACHS six spring clutch and resurfaced flywheel already bolted up and ready to go. I just bolted up my good tranny and almost new throwout bearing and installed the motor. Everything looked in order and the fingers of the pressure plate were stiff and looked new.

OK...everthing installed and the clutch, regardless of adjustment just slips--I can turn the tires with the tranny in gear and it won't turn the motor...just slips.

The part that seems out of place..is that I can manually move the clutch arm by hand (depressing plate fingers) without too much effort...seems to me it shoudn't be that easy as I recall from previous installs.

So is the spacing between the clutch and plate somehow not right? Perhaps the throwout bearing is partially depressing the fingers making the clutch slip and easy to move arm by hand?

headbang.gif Tell me something I'm overlooking...I don't want to pull the tranny, if I have to, without understanding what I'm looking for.

Don't you just love suprises like this.....
Brando
If it's that easy to depress the fingers of the pressure plate, there's your culprit. The PP should have quite a bit of clamping force to keep the clutch disc pressed against the flywheel. If you can disengage it by hand, take it apart and inspect everything again.
r_towle
Sompin wrong.

Even if its intalled wrong, you should not be able to move the clutch fork by hand, ever...its just way to hard.

If it was not disengaging, I would say you need to shim the stand off for the clutch fork to make up for however much was cut off the flywheel (do look at that)
but with you not having it engage at all, I think that maybe you missed something during re-assembly...and when you find it you wont share with us...it should be something simple, yet wrong.
Check part numbers also...might be the wrong part.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.