Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One sided HE?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BiG bOgGs
I am (in the next 1-2 years) going to replace my exhaust system on my 76 914 and am starting the questions and planning now. I live in FL and don't really need a super heating system, but I do want a little heat in the winter and a little something to defog the windows. I was thinking that I could just put HE's on the driverside exhaust and route the hoses so that it either goes through one or both of the tubes going to the front of the car. Or I was thinking I could upgrade the Alt. with a higher output unit and install an electric heater in the front and route the stock controlls to operate it.

Now for the scarry part unsure.gif .....what are your opinions on these ideas, or are there any other suggested methods of having some heat for a climate like FL?
r_towle
CFR makes a single sided Heat Exchanger for his headers...in your climate it would be perfect.

Or, go for two (one per side in the front trunk) 12 volt hair dryers...simple and they will do what you need.

Rich
BiG bOgGs
Or, go for two (one per side in the front trunk) 12 volt hair dryers...simple and they will do what you need.

Has anyone actually done this? Got a description/pictures to show how it is set up?
Dave_Darling
Irony: At this very moment, the CFR/Tangerine Raing ad is running at the bottom of the page...

Here's a link to some pics: http://www.tangerineracing.com/Super_Heade...EAT%20EXCHANGER

Bring money. Lots and lots of it--and expect the absolute best in return.

Here's a silly question for you: If you were to put a stock-type heat exchanger on only one side of the motor, what would go on the other??

--DD
BiG bOgGs
Here's a silly question for you: If you were to put a stock-type heat exchanger on only one side of the motor, what would go on the other??

Other??

Exhaust pipe: Nuttin
Heater hose to passenger side: Another hose routed from the driver side.

I would either run it so that both sides would get air sent through them to the front, or I would just cap off the passenger side under the dash and push the air only through the driver side.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(BiG bOgGs @ Mar 26 2007, 05:10 PM) *
Other??

Exhaust pipe: Nuttin

So you would just have the exhaust ports open to the air? I must be misunderstanding, because that is a really really major colossal bad idea...

--DD
BiG bOgGs
Think of ot this way. Complete stock system with HEs on a 914. Now cut the HE off of the passenger side but leave the actual exhaust. Tada, one sided HE system.

Or am I missing something in your question?

Jim
GaroldShaffer
why not just leave everything connected (heat Ex, tubes....) but just disconnect the wire that opens the passenger side flapper box? Leave the driver side connected?

Why wouldn't this work. My old 73 the passenger side flapper was stuck closed and I had plenty of heat on those cool Chicago nights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.