Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt 1.7 Heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rigglet
Looing for someone/someplace that rebuilds heads for the 1.7. I was looking for a possible exhaust leak when I found the source of my issue. Unfortuantely I have pulled an exhaust stud from the head. I'm sure I could find someone to repair it, but my thought would be that since I'm going to have to drop the engine I would go ahead and replace the heads and rings. Figure the motor will be out anyway. idea.gif

I live in the Indianapolis area. Please let me know if you know of any shops or individuals who might be up for the task.

Thanks!
jwalters
QUOTE(rigglet @ Mar 25 2007, 03:42 PM) *

Looing for someone/someplace that rebuilds heads for the 1.7. I was looking for a possible exhaust leak when I found the source of my issue. Unfortuantely I have pulled an exhaust stud from the head. I'm sure I could find someone to repair it, but my thought would be that since I'm going to have to drop the engine I would go ahead and replace the heads and rings. Figure the motor will be out anyway. idea.gif

I live in the Indianapolis area. Please let me know if you know of any shops or individuals who might be up for the task.

Thanks!

This CAN be easily repaired engine still in car.... Most local FLAPS have the kit needed to helicoil in-place - I have done it, and my mechanically challenged (at the time) friend did it also ---
sww914
You don't necessarily need to pull the engine.
You can get a "step stud" at an aircooled VW shop, it's an 8mm stud on one end and 9mm on the other. You can just run a 9mm tap up the hole and install the stud in the new threads.
Mine was so wallowed out that I only had 3 good threads up at the top of the hole after tapping it, so in the interest of making it to the track the next day, I screwed it in with a thick coating of JB Weld.
I didn't think it would make it through the weekend, but it's still holding after 4 years.
If you can't find a stud, I'll mail you one, I bought 6 while I was there, I've only used 2 and given one away.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 25 2007, 12:05 PM) *

You don't necessarily need to pull the engine.
You can get a "step stud" at an aircooled VW shop, it's an 8mm stud on one end and 9mm on the other. You can just run a 9mm tap up the hole and install the stud in the new threads.
Mine was so wallowed out that I only had 3 good threads up at the top of the hole after tapping it, so in the interest of making it to the track the next day, I screwed it in with a thick coating of JB Weld.
I didn't think it would make it through the weekend, but it's still holding after 4 years.
If you can't find a stud, I'll mail you one, I bought 6 while I was there, I've only used 2 and given one away.

You must have enough good threads in there to work. JB weld will not hold up to that temperature. I am sure it is long gone by now. Helicoil works. There is another device I have used called a Keylock Insert. McMaster Carr sells it.
rigglet
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will give the helicoil repair route a try. Anyone know if I can do a hybrid solution of helicoil and "step stud"? Looking at it a bit closer it looks like it may have been helicoiled previously and that is what got pulled out. My thought (having never done helicoil repair) is that I will need to use a large helicoil and then use a larger step stud afterwards.

Thoughts?
jwalters
QUOTE(rigglet @ Mar 26 2007, 01:05 PM) *

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will give the helicoil repair route a try. Anyone know if I can do a hybrid solution of helicoil and "step stud"? Looking at it a bit closer it looks like it may have been helicoiled previously and that is what got pulled out. My thought (having never done helicoil repair) is that I will need to use a large helicoil and then use a larger step stud afterwards.

Thoughts?

Keep it as small as you can at this point......IF it has been heli'd once, it has already been drilled and threaded. Go too much and you could end up punching clear through to the combustion chamber ... <OUCH> Go easy with it....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.