Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak, or just leftover oil from previous leak?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BiG bOgGs
I have eleminated my oil leak from the pressure sender, but I am still getting a few drops on the pavement when I have it idle for a while, and am getting quite a bit of smoke blowing around the cylinders. When I look up at the engine I can see oil on the cyllinder fins and the tins, but the head and the tubes are clean (except for a little just below the cylinders) This is on both sides of the engine. I also have oil coming out of the lower opening of the fan housing and a line of oil coming from the front edge of the fan housing. Is is possible that I have oil leaking somwhere in the shroud and the fan is blowing it down over the cylinders? Here are some pics.

Passenger side
Click to view attachment

Driver side
Click to view attachment
BiG bOgGs
And here are the pics of the housing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SGB
front main seal...

sad.gif
BiG bOgGs
I'm guessing this requires an engine drop? sad2.gif
SGB
maybe not.

Mine doesn't leak as much, but I think I have read that it only requires taking the cooling fan off. Search time. I have terrible luck with the search feature, Try "main" maybe.

Now, getting to the bolt, then pulling the fan out, well....
r_towle
Have you replaced you oil cooler seals?
I would suspect those two old POS rubber seals before I would the front seal.
Rich
BiG bOgGs
Have you replaced you oil cooler seals?
I would suspect those two old POS rubber seals before I would the front seal.

I don't have much, if any, oil coming down through or around the cooler. And this wouldn't explain how the oil gets to the driver side, or how it is getting on the front of the fan housing. I was worried that the seals were bad, but once I got the oil pressure sender leak fixed I didn't get any more leaks from around that area.

Jim
Allan
Take it out and drive the piss out of it for an hour or so. If it's residual oil it'll burn off.

If it still leaks afterwards, you have another source to find.
Brando
QUOTE(SGB @ Mar 25 2007, 05:01 PM) *

front main seal...

sad.gif

agree.gif

While you got the front cooling shroud off you might as well replace the oil cooler seals just in case. Possibly the rear main seal too When you drop the engine.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Brando @ Mar 25 2007, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(SGB @ Mar 25 2007, 05:01 PM) *

front main seal...

sad.gif

agree.gif

While you got the front cooling shroud off you might as well replace the oil cooler seals just in case. Possibly the rear main seal too When you drop the engine.

You do NOT have to drop the engine. Pull the front tin on the engine. Then unbolt the fan by removing the 3 bolts that hold it.

Then remove the center bolt and use a puller to remove the flange from the crank. Then you can change the seal.

30 minutes laying on my back to change the front seal. I can to it in 20 minutes on a lift. It takes 30 minutes to pull the whole engine.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.