Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 Lug e-brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BiG bOgGs
Instead of putting a mnodified e-brake system in, would it be possible to use a line lock as an e-brake? Would this cause any long term problems with the calipers?
Rusty
It's been discussed. I think the concern was that line locks tend to lose pressure over time.

If used as a parking brake... and it lets go... well... not a good thing.
BiG bOgGs
I would still keep it in gear when parked, but I was just hopeing, for the most part, to keep the pressure of the vehicle off the trans. I have a fairly steep driveway (for FL) and would like to have something. Also when I park on level ground I would like to keep it from rocking when I am geting in or out, or getting into the trunks.

Jim confused24.gif
Rusty
I think that's exactly the scenario that you should be concerned about - parked on a steep incline.

I wouldn't risk it, personally... but you may find a better way to do the job. It's your car. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(BiG bOgGs @ Mar 25 2007, 06:18 PM) *

Instead of putting a mnodified e-brake system in, would it be possible to use a line lock as an e-brake? Would this cause any long term problems with the calipers?

As the brake fluid cools, the brakes release. Bad plan. I'm notr the only one in the 914 world who's has this happen. One morning at about 2 o'clock, there was a guy knocking on my door, asking me if that was my 914 in the middle of the street .........
An added bonus is that it's illegal, allowing your insurance company to say "So long, and thanks for all the money!" The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
I don't know about FL, but here in Texas a working mechanical park brake is required to pass a vehicle safety inspection. A line lock is not considered a mechanical parking brake.

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 25 2007, 08:08 PM) *

I don't know about FL, but here in Texas a working mechanical park brake is required to pass a vehicle safety inspection. A line lock is not considered a mechanical parking brake.

agree.gif It has to be mechanical so if your hydralics fail you can still stop,

hence the name 'Emergency Brake'.
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 25 2007, 08:08 PM) *

Tie a rope to the rear bumper, and run it to an anchor in the passenger seat for inspection confused24.gif Works as an emergency brake, holds the car on hills (pointed downhill much better than pointed up) and is mechanical...

How could they possibly say no? chairfall.gif chair.gif

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.