Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Answer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marc_hines
It took almost five weeks, but Amazon finally shipped my 914 restorers guide and it arrived today.

I'm about half way through it, looking to see what is and isn't right on "Herbie" and I realize that while I have the correct gas tank for my '75 teener - the gas cap is from the earlier gas tank style.

I had been noticing the gas smell at times, and when I checked the hoses everying look good. But it never occured to me that the cap might be the wrong style. It's the silver metal one, where it should be the black pastic type.

Overall, most everything else seems to be correct so far, except for the size of the windshield wiper blades.
Qarl
Post a pic.

Is your "expansion" tank on the top metal or plastic?

If it is plastic, then you have the correct expansion tank and the wrong cap.

If it is metal, then someone converted to the earlier style expansion tank and the cap us correct. The caps are really of different size and have different locking mechanism, so I don't think they are close to being interchangeable.

If you are "smelling gas" then there could be several issues.

1. The tank is rusted inside and has rusted some through holes towards the top of the tank along the seams (sometime water gets inside the tank from bad gas). The gas may smell more prominent when you fill up and the tank and gas gets to the level of the cracks.

2. You have a cracked fuel line somewhere

3. Your seal in your gas cap is bad.

4. Maybe you, INDEED, have the wrong cap.

I have the correct plastic expansion tank and cap for cheap.
marc_hines
I just ran down to the car (with the guide in hand) and looked again.

Sure enough, I have the metal expansion tank and metal cap (which are pre-1964) in my 1975 teener.

Sooooo..... One more thing to add to my list.

Kellzey - I would like to get the correct expansion tank and cap from you. I still have to track down the gas smell.

Is it possible that the main gas tank is wrong? did they change through the model years?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.