Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side-shift linkage kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
SirAndy
i just ordered my kit! aktion035.gif

that, plus the rennshifter i have, should make for a nice & tight shifting experience ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

IPB Image
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We would love to see some pics of this unit installed (or assembled) so we could see how it works!
JWest
Here is a thread with some installation shots - better pics to come in the future.

Linkage thread
JWest
I am currently debating whether to produce another run of these. Let me know if you are planning a future purchase of this product so I can judge the interest.

Thanks!
michaelt55
I am interested in one..depending on whether I have the ability to install it myself...but anything that makes it shift more preciscely!

Michael
914werke
Id be interested in one.
But one detraction is the need to still have to
perform some "fab" work confused24.gif
Bolt in?
dbu356
I would also be interested in one.
Thanks

Dave
Lou W
I'd buy one. smile.gif
Van914
James,
Yes, I am interested also.
Van914
914werke
So James I take it you are out of stock now?
PeeGreen 914
Yes he is. That is why I went with some of the Patrick stuff. I just need the rear portion he makes now. James. your system is the best I've seen. Make more please. biggrin.gif
JWest
Yes, I'm out of stock. Thanks for the feedback so far.
BKLA
This is a great product! Installed (partially, not done yet :wink:) on GT race car!

Can't wait to try it out!
914werke
James any update? confused24.gif
JWest
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 9 2008, 01:45 PM) *

It will be available again in about a month.
michaelt55
any new upgrades, improvements?

QUOTE(James Adams @ May 12 2008, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 9 2008, 01:45 PM) *

It will be available again in about a month.

JWest
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ May 17 2008, 08:38 PM) *

any new upgrades, improvements?

It should be available again in about a week. The design did not need any changes, but I'm working on offering different levels of completeness.
PeeGreen 914
That would be awsome. I only need the rear portion.
ClayPerrine
When can we order?
JWest
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 19 2008, 01:26 PM) *

When can we order?

I have all the parts but I want to assemble a few sets. I also have not worked up pricing for the other combinations. As soon as I have the pricing set I will update the web page to receive orders - later this week, I hope.

I'll update this thread as soon as ordering is live again.
JWest
New kits are now available - check it out here:

Linkage kit
914werke
smilie_pokal.gif
Now for the questions: biggrin.gif

Being the CSOB I am looking at level 1 kit -
A is a OE part Ill have
B is a part of the OE rod Ill cut off my existing shift rod
1 is a NEW JW only part
2 (same)
3 (same)
4 (same)
5 is a OE ball cup bushing?
6 is the OE shift coupler cover I would have?
7 is the OE console cover I would have and modify
8 is one of two OE shift rod shrouds I have and or can buy from you or ?
9 is one of two OE U joings I should have
10 Is wher Im unclear!

These are (OE?) knurled rod ends that need to be welded in place of existing OE set pin ends on the (bent) R. (intermediate) shift rod ©?
I though the point ot the kit was to eliminate the spaghetti bender rod and replace with a straight rod connected by U joints?

R.
JWest
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 28 2008, 10:26 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif
Now for the questions: biggrin.gif

A is a OE part Ill have - -yes
B is a part of the OE rod Ill cut off my existing shift rod -yes
1 is a NEW JW only part -yes
2 (same)
3 (same)
4 (same)
5 is a OE ball cup bushing? -yes
6 is the OE shift coupler cover I would have? -No - this is a JW part
7 is the OE console cover I would have and modify -yes
8 is one of two OE shift rod shrouds I have and or can buy from you or ? -yes
9 is one of two OE U joings I should have -yes, from 914 steering
10 Is wher Im unclear!

These are (OE?) knurled rod ends that need to be welded in place of existing OE set pin ends on the (bent) R. (intermediate) shift rod ©?

sort of - you could cut equevalent parts to these from a 914 steering shaft. These get welded to a short center section of the bent factory shift tube.

I though the point ot the kit was to eliminate the spaghetti bender rod and replace with a straight rod connected by U joints?

Not exactly. You still have to get around the engine (on a 4 cyl). Half of the bends are removed and the remaining tube has very little flex.
914werke
9 is one of two OE U joings I should have -yes, from 914 steering
10 Is wher Im unclear!

sort of - you could cut equevalent parts to these from a 914 steering shaft. These get welded to a short center section of the bent factory shift tube.

Not exactly. You still have to get around the engine (on a 4 cyl). Half of the bends are removed and the remaining tube has very little flex.

So are the dimensions for this available? I looked at the installation instructons but didnt see a cut dimension for the "stub shafts"
JWest
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 29 2008, 03:09 AM) *

So are the dimensions for this available? I looked at the installation instructons but didnt see a cut dimension for the "stub shafts"

It wont really matter - they slip inside the tube and are fitted to the car to get everything "just right." About 2 to 3 inches long would be fine.
70Sixter
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 29 2008, 04:09 AM) *

Does that mean the kit works as is on a stock -6? Or is there a straighter version?
JWest
QUOTE(70Sixter @ May 31 2008, 04:03 PM) *

Does that mean the kit works as is on a stock -6? Or is there a straighter version?

The kit does not work on a stock six, since the kit is for a side-shift transmission.

The kit does not include the rod that goes past the engine, so it will not work as-is on any car. If a -6 has been converted to a side shifter, then a straight piece of tube needs to be used between the u-joints to create the intermediate shift rod.
914werke
James reading the instructions to re-use the stock shift rod it specifys
cutting both ends off by measuring up from the trans end at 10" and 32 3/4"

so... since the rod bends in two directions is that measurement "straight from the end" or trying to follow the bends of the rod?
Make sense?
JWest
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 7 2008, 01:13 AM) *

James reading the instructions to re-use the stock shift rod is specifys
cutting both ends off by measuring up from the trans end at 10" and 32 3/4"

so... since the rod bends in two directions is that measurement "straight from the end" or trying to follow the bends of the rod?
Make sense?

Straight - "as the crow flys."
914werke
QUOTE(James Adams @ May 28 2008, 07:52 PM) *

sort of - you could cut equivalent parts to these from a 914 steering shaft. These get welded to a short center section of the bent factory shift tube.

One more question, when you cut off both ends of the OE bent shift rod you lose
the taper that reduces the tube down to the dimension of the knurled rod?

How do you suggest to correct for this prior to welding.
Speaking of welding.. the Factory drilled and filled 4 rosettes about an 1" from the
end of the tube, is that necessary or are simple spots or a bead ran around the tube end all that is required?
JWest
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 16 2009, 07:54 PM) *

One more question, when you cut off both ends of the OE bent shift rod you lose
the taper that reduces the tube down to the dimension of the knurled rod?

How do you suggest to correct for this prior to welding.
Speaking of welding.. the Factory drilled and filled 4 rosettes about an 1" from the
end of the tube, is that necessary or are simple spots or a bead ran around the tube end all that is required?

The extra diameter allows for some play in lining up the two ends. Tack the spots that touch while it is fitted, then remove and weld a bead. Pie cut and tap the tube flush if it bothers you to fill the gap. This is much stronger than the factory spot welds.
JWest
I've got new lower prices on the linkage kits, along with package deals when a RennShift and linkage are purchased together.

www.jwesteng.com
nsr-jamie
Someday when I have more money and take care of some other things on my car I would like to buy one of your Rennshifters and the linkage kit as shifting my car has not always been its best. I hope you will keep the new package deals going for a very long time as it might be a while before I am ready but most definetely want one.

I am curious how other 914 drivers feel after making the conversion to either the Renn shifter or both the shifter with the linkage? Does it compare to a new modern car?
Phil Plummer
Hi I have a 71 and I drove the car home and started to do the 914/6 conversion and am wondering ifMy 71 has the lower quality shift linkage? and if so how much to get the one that shifts better?
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Nov 11 2009, 04:08 AM) *

Someday when I have more money and take care of some other things on my car I would like to buy one of your Rennshifters and the linkage kit as shifting my car has not always been its best. I hope you will keep the new package deals going for a very long time as it might be a while before I am ready but most definetely want one.

I am curious how other 914 drivers feel after making the conversion to either the Renn shifter or both the shifter with the linkage? Does it compare to a new modern car?

Very Cool site.
I am doing a 916 look alike at ( minus the Engine compartment double grill and fuchs -going phone dial)
You hav a nice looking car .
Did you make for the group buy for steel fender flares @750.00 ??
Also very nice rare model!!
-regards Phil
lonewolfe

Hey Phil,

It's Mark, again. We've been talking about the custom emblems vendor. Anyhow, if your car has the stock transmission, you'll have the tailshift setup. I would say it's lower quality but the later sideshift transmission is the preferred unit. They started using the later sideshift transmissions in 1973. I have a 1972 I recently bought and am in the process of converting it. You need to replace the transmission, engine bar, shifter linkage bars and the shifter from inside the car. You're probably looking at close to $1000 to make the upgrade. I believe you can make the tailshifters work ok if you replace all the busings from front to back. I'm doing the conversion because I have a 1975 parts car to get all these parts from. Otherwise, I'm not sure it would be worth it. Well, if you are doing a 914/4 to 914/6 conversion then I'm pretty sure you will want the better shifter setup. Anyhow, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Good luck with your conversion.

QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Feb 1 2012, 10:48 PM) *

Hi I have a 71 and I drove the car home and started to do the 914/6 conversion and am wondering ifMy 71 has the lower quality shift linkage? and if so how much to get the one that shifts better?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.