Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Errr, accidentally bought the wrong brake compound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
I went to Rich Bontempi's HPH early last week and ended up getting the warehouse tour. I picked up some gaskets, swepco and Porterfield brake pads among other things. I've been meaning to pickup a set of the R4-S pads for an upcoming drivers ed trackday at Thunderhill next month, so when I saw the Porterfields on the shelf at Bontempi's I went for it. We were in the middle of a factory tour and I flaked on looking at the compound. When I got home I realized I had bought the straight R-4 compound which is described as being race-only on the Porterfield site:

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.html

"R-4 Full Race Compound
Designed specifically for heavy-duty motorsports. The carbon based semi-metallic R-4 materials allow the pad to absorb tremendous amounts of heat and dissipate it at very even rate. Carbon Kevlar material warms up to race temperature quickly, which is quite helpful during restarts, and when track time is limited. When used with cast iron and steel alloy rotors, the R-4 compound requires minimal bed-in period. Throughout the entire heat range, the carbon kevlar material will give extremely consistent modulation and predictably. This is truly the most rotor friendly racing brake pad material ever. Good for road courses, oval track, rally, vintage racing, autocross, club events or professional racing events."

I wrote Rich about the mistake and here's his reply:

"Lots of people use the R4 on the street for normal driving. They stop quickly, don't need to be hot to work well, and then will work great when you go to any track event, or drive hard on the street. That's the only Porterfield that I stock."

I generally think that Rich knows his stuff, especially when it comes to racing, but I'd like to know if these are going to be good for road use. I don't mind chewing through rotors I suppose, but I don't want to fly through the stop sign next to my house in the AM because the pads haven't been heated up.

I'm familiar with the break-in procedure as well.

What do ya think? Would you use the R-4 pads or return them and buy the R4-S pads elsewhere?
sww914
The R4s pads don't hold up all that well. I've seen them crumble pretty bad after a bunch of heat cycles, even though 1/2 of the pad was still there we threw them away.
The R4's are a bit more noisy and a bit dirtier than the R4s's, but they're dirty and noisy enough already that it doesn't matter much.
He's right, the R4's work well when cold, not quite as well as when they're warm, but I'd say 95% as well.
I'd keep them.
fiid
I don't think Rich would let you get into anything resembling a dangerous situation (unless it's with your credit card company wink.gif ). I'd trust his advice any day of the week.

nebreitling
i never had any problems with them in the cold. they modulate differently, but you can still stop just fine. they chew rotors and dust like crazy. fabulous (necessary!) on the track. you'll be fine on the street.
RoadGlue
Thanks everyone! I'll keep 'em.

--Randy
Joe Ricard
I have R4 for the track and they were absolutely wonderfull. and got better with heat. over 350 degrees.

My R4S pads are great on street and Autocross heat gets close to 300 and I can turn my rotors blue without ducting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.