Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where water coming from
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
will
everytime I wash my car, I noticed water soaking my carpet and floor around the E-brake spring inside the cabin. The water soaked the carpet behind the seat as well. where is the water coming from?
no water leaking from the rear targa seal nor side seal is good.
any idea?
DerekKim
I was told the back window seal once. Might want to look at that. I had about an inch of water in my vheicle behind my seats once... ouch!
SirAndy
QUOTE(will @ Mar 26 2007, 09:03 AM) *

any idea?

Rear Window ... BTDT ...

there was a thread here somewhere on how to take it out, clean up the thing and reseal it ...
smash.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
I don't know your car but I do know that rusting thru is very common at the

bottem of the firewall. Look behind backpad and while you have it off you can

change the butel rubber used to seal the back window. You will need to remove

the other targa bar pieces.
will
where do I get butyl tape? homedepot?
do I have to remove the trims on the side where the seatbelt bolts to? The top trip must be remove.
SirAndy
QUOTE(will @ Mar 26 2007, 01:44 PM) *

do I have to remove the trims on the side where the seatbelt bolts to? The top trip must be remove.

all trim needs to go, backpad needs to go, seats out (makes it *much* easier) ...

buy the buthyl from a auto-glass shop, they have the right stuff.

clean off old crap, clean thoroughly with alcohol or similar, then lay the buthyl bead starting at the top center of the frame, all the way around.

clean glass as well, press glass firmly on buthyl, make sure it seals all around.
this is best done with another set of helping hands ...

smash.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(will @ Mar 26 2007, 02:44 PM) *

Yes you will need to remove the side pieces.

Home depot may have it but I would go to a glass shop, different sizes and better quality.
Chris Pincetich
Rear window seal for sure! I use 2 towels up against the rear window on the outside to catch and soak up any car-wash water, then give this little area it's own TLC. My quick fix of black silicone from the tube along the interior bottom seal keeps out 90% of the water, but I still get in there to dry off the 10% that clears both the towels and the silicone corner gap. Gotta protect my NEW 1/2 floor pan = big investment! beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
don't cross the butyl at the top, lay it side to side, just touching. doubling over creates a high spot which can make the rest of the window difficult to seal and easy to crack when you try to seat it. 2 spacers are required at the bottom. most autobody supply stores will have the butyl in stock. my local one stocks the 3M brand. i found setting the window was much easier with an extra set of hands.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.