Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who makes the bronzebushing for a side shifter tra
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
who makes it? and how much?

this is the one that you usually have to jb weld in because the oe hole is always worn
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 26 2007, 10:29 AM) *

this is the one that you usually have to jb weld in because the oe hole is always worn

I would hesitate to use brass here as it super wears the shift rod and the console. Be better to glue in anothe plastic one.
Bleyseng
GPR sells them and its silicone bronze. I just keep some CV grease on it and use the flexible boot to cover it so it doesn't get too dirty.
john rogers
On the race car I use a factory one with several very small nylon wire ties through the hole to tighten things up a bit and I replace it yearly at least. Even with the rubber boot that area will get really messed up from the grease and dust that gets kicked up.
sww914
A machinist named Ron who also makes $2,000.00 ukeleles and repairs $10,000 Cellos makes them for GPR. GPR sells them for about $10.00.
Ron's ukeleles are some of the very best. He says they don't sound right until they've been strummed at least 100,000 times, so he made a machine to do it for him.
It gently clamps the instrument, and it has a wheel that rotates near the springs. The wheel has 4 guitar picks clamped in it, and every time it rotates, (about 2X a second) it strums the strings. There's a little nub on the side of the wheel that bumps a microswitch that's wired into a calculator's + button. When he turns on the machine, he hits 1 + on the calculator, and every time the wheel bumps the switch, it addds another 1 to the total, so he can see how many strums it's had. It takes a couple 2-3-4- days to finish. He keeps it in his bathroom, so when you're in the back of his shop, you hear this bling-bling-bling coming from nowhere.
Hilarious!
He's a 914 guy, he has a car on a rotisserie that he's building. He's talking about putting 2 motorcycle engines in it. If he does, I'm sure it will be well built and weird but cool.
jd74914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 26 2007, 02:57 PM) *

A machinist named Ron who also makes $2,000.00 ukeleles and repairs $10,000 Cellos makes them for GPR. GPR sells them for about $10.00.
Ron's ukeleles are some of the very best. He says they don't sound right until they've been strummed at least 100,000 times, so he made a machine to do it for him.
It gently clamps the instrument, and it has a wheel that rotates near the springs. The wheel has 4 guitar picks clamped in it, and every time it rotates, (about 2X a second) it strums the strings. There's a little nub on the side of the wheel that bumps a microswitch that's wired into a calculator's + button. When he turns on the machine, he hits 1 + on the calculator, and every time the wheel bumps the switch, it addds another 1 to the total, so he can see how many strums it's had. It takes a couple 2-3-4- days to finish. He keeps it in his bathroom, so when you're in the back of his shop, you hear this bling-bling-bling coming from nowhere.
Hilarious!
He's a 914 guy, he has a car on a rotisserie that he's building. He's talking about putting 2 motorcycle engines in it. If he does, I'm sure it will be well built and weird but cool.

huh.gif
toon1
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 26 2007, 11:57 AM) *

Hilarious!

NO offense dude but, WTF.gif biggrin.gif
type47fan
. . . Pavlovian free association response. . . .maybe? Interesting 914 related OT trivia.

Thanks,
sww914
He asked who made them.
Now you know.
Like it or not, it's a true story.
Joe Ricard
Search Ebay I got mine there a few weeks ago.

Excessive wear? who cares it shifts better. when the steel rod wears out I'll make another one.

Shifting is "TIGHT yo"!!!
Bleyseng
I have been slowly working on CAD drawing to make em out of delrin or plastic with Blair's small CNC . Just another project on the back burner....
Gint

I loved the story. Good stuff.

I just ordered one (brass trans console shift rod bushing) from GPR. In fact I just got off the phone with Dave. It's $26. GPR is fantastic. I joined the parts club. Free UPS ground shipping for a year. Well worth the cost of membership.
Dr Evil
I may have a few, ask me this weekend after my next test. DO NOT put grease on them. They should not need it and grease just holds the grit there longer so it can erode faster. Just keep it relatively clean.
Aaron Cox
mike - remind me to remind you this weekend LOL

how you doin son? we miss your ugly mug and sense of humor over here in socal.
Bartlett 914
I think oilite would be a nice material to make them from. I have considered making them. Not sure about how much interest there would be.
Lou W

Hilarious!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif poke.gif
jasons
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 26 2007, 11:29 AM) *

Patrick makes one thats oversize .850 OD to be exact. $38, I installed one a few weeks ago. The ID is a little tighter than stock too. I soaked mine in oil overnite, I heard a myth it makes the bronze last longer. confused24.gif Maybe a myth, but it doesn't cost much to try.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(jasons @ Mar 27 2007, 08:31 AM) *

Patrick makes one thats oversize .850 OD to be exact. $38, I installed one a few weeks ago. The ID is a little tighter than stock too. I soaked mine in oil overnite, I heard a myth it makes the bronze last longer. confused24.gif Maybe a myth, but it doesn't cost much to try.

A little oversize is a good idea. The only problem is the hole is not worn even. It is usually worn in an egg shape. I put mine on a mill and corrected it. I then made a new bushing to fit. Not everyone has access to a mill and a lathe.

Soaking bronze in oil may help a little. Oilite is a sintered material. That is, it is compressed small grains of bronze. It is then pressure impregnated with oil. Leave one of these in a paper bag and later the bag will look like a bag of french fries. For this reason, this will probably not glue in very well.
jasons
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 27 2007, 09:39 AM) *

A little oversize is a good idea. The only problem is the hole is not worn even. It is usually worn in an egg shape. I put mine on a mill and corrected it. I then made a new bushing to fit. Not everyone has access to a mill and a lathe.

Mine was just a tad over .850 on the oval. It took me about 5 seconds (literally) with my dremel tool to match the small side of the oval. I used a coke can shim to tighten up, whatever it was over .850 on the oval. The snap ring holds the shim tight. It worked just right for me.
r_towle
Aaron,
I replaced all of them with tephlon impregnated bronze.
All being
both cups, firewall, joint, and tranny console.

They were all made special for me.

Bronze is softer than steel, so the bronze or brass for that matter, will wear out faster than any steel shift rod will ever wear out.

refer back to sophmore year in material class...mine is fine.
No grease, just tephlon spray lube (get it at the bike store)
And its fine, and shifts fine all season.
there is NO play.
I can take pics if you need, the pics were here at one point but now they are gone from both sites???
Rich
Gary
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 27 2007, 09:39 AM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Mar 27 2007, 08:31 AM) *

Soaking bronze in oil may help a little. Oilite is a sintered material. That is, it is compressed small grains of bronze. It is then pressure impregnated with oil. Leave one of these in a paper bag and later the bag will look like a bag of french fries. For this reason, this will probably not glue in very well.

A reamer's the right tool to make the hole bigger and round again. I got surplus one off ebay for $20. That, a new 1st synchro and a jwest shifter and shifting is good again. My "test" for whether this bushing needs replacing is grabbing the shifter bar in front of the transmission console and wiggling it. If there is give (mine was loose even with a new nylon bushing), then the reamer/brass bushing is a good option.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.