Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hyfire MSD + L-Jet = FUCH
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
So, L-Jetronic uses pulses on the ground side of the coil (normally) to trigger the double-relays which then fires the injectors. Appearantly this doesn't work with the Mallory MSD or MSD units because their tach signals are +12V.

Anyone have experience making an MSD unit work with L-Jet?

With the Hyfire all hooked up I tried:

Tach signal wire (yellow). Nope.
Coil Negative (small black). Nope.
Points/breaker wire (white). Nope.

Normally the injection wire goes directly to coil negative.

Can anyone assist? Cap'n Krusty? Jake? Bueller?

Mucho appreciated if ya can smile.gif
Bleyseng
Are you using the tach adapter? Thats the only way I could get the tach to work when I had MSD. I didn't see any big benefit back then and took it off.
Brando
Tach is workin fine. Just spliced it in-line with points/trigger pickup. Problem is I can't get a negative input for the L-Jet ECU.

I called Mr. Gasket Co. and they said I need a Mallory 6200M Trigger to work properly. Can't find a used one anywhere so I may pick one up Weds. and try the install again.
Aaron Cox
you could try hooking your l jet up to the same signal as the tach.....

should be the exact same signal as your tach is getting right? (tach used to be fired off neg terminal of coil too!!!)

so if they both need the same signal..... and the tach is getting the right signal off the trigger wire to the box...... it SHOULD ALSO fire the l jet
Brando
Eureka! I have the solution! Solid-State relay.

I'll use the trigger wire from the points-> Hyfire box to pull the relay, and run the input for the injection to ground on the throw side of the relay. After I recieve the relay in the mail I'll post a more in-depth writeup after I get it working.

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 26 2007, 02:48 PM) *
you could try hooking your l jet up to the same signal as the tach.....

should be the exact same signal as your tach is getting right? (tach used to be fired off neg terminal of coil too!!!)

so if they both need the same signal..... and the tach is getting the right signal off the trigger wire to the box...... it SHOULD ALSO fire the l jet
That be a negative homeslice... The tach uses either +12V or Grnd. The trigger for injection input is ground.

Appreciate the input guys, thanks!
jim_hoyland
Try: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ix+Installation Good diagrams

The MSD 6 works with an Ljet !

Jim
Brando
D-Jetronic Jim smile.gif

Ok, I have a '73 2.0 with the D-Jet intact. [...]

L-Jet takes pulses from the coil. D-Jet takes pulses from the trigger points in the distributor.
Aaron Cox
a relay is not required....

do you know how many switches a relay lasts? (life guess)

a few million?

if you are turning ~3000 revs / min x 60min/hr X hrs you have driven.... your relay will die very fast.

read the instructions. buy the tach adapter if you need to.
Brando
Tach adapter won't work man. I need switched ground via coil. They don't have an adapter for that. Their adapter just amplifies the pulses.
Aaron Cox
i believe you are mistaken. Hoyland has Ljet and Msd working on his....
Brando
Possibly... I'll look into it further.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.