Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 Pricing again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
OK, I just saw that concours winning 914-6 did not meet it's reserve at 25-26K which leads me to this is near the top of 6 pricing right now.

Here is my dilemma, a friend of mine bought an original 6 (he has like 8 other Mercedes, BMWs and a 911 in various running states) about a year ago and I have been storing it and have an option to buy, which I would like to do, BUT,. First I educated my friend to what he had (my bad), but unfortunately he listened more to the education than to what the car needed. He thinks the car is worth a fortune. He has seen the value of his early 911 climb. He has spent $0 on the car, though I have replaced about $1,000 worth of rubber trim out of my stash.

OK, if a top price would bring $26,000, what would you pay for a very nice looking original six that is definately in need of the following with my estimates for parts;

Both bumpers repaired (lots of dents) & rechromed $ 750
Rear Rubber bumper top 400
4 tires 400
wheel refinishing 500
Seats/rear pad/door panel redo 1,500
Oil Tank leak ?
Brake M/C + ? 500
Weber rebuild 800
original jack 200
exhaust ?
original igntion ( has MSD) ?
Freshen motor (parts & labor) 5,000
sun visors ?
shift knob 150
steering wheel refinsh 300
body work (has dings down the passenger side,
mostly the door) 1,000
asst trim 1,000
and

I just found a hole the size of my pinkie in the Hell Hole 1,000

I think it is the greatest looking project car around, but that is the point, it is a project. I've owned 7 teeners (2 sixes) and have a Carrera project, so I think I'm a pretty good judge on that call

Well what would be a fair price? (I have one in my mind, I just want to see if I'm close)

Thanks, T.C.
Johny Blackstain
That really nice six didn't meet the reserve @ $26.5k on the evilBay today. That one we shot full of holes on Barrett-Jackson sold for $34k after all the bills were paid. You did not mention if your car is a numbers matching teener & one that didn't run sold for $14.5k last fall if I remember right, but it's numbers matched. Also matters what direction you want to go with her- purist, renegade or racer biggrin.gif . I guess it's what the buyer is willing to pay at the time & there are obviously good times to buy & good times to sell like anything else in our economy.

cool_shades.gif
Porsche Rescue
I watch the market and have owned 5 factory sixes, ranging from total project to restored beauty. Prices are going up fast. I sold the yellow one last summer and I bet I would have to pay at least $3-4000 more today to buy one as good (If I could find one).
I think the car you describe (if rust is no worse than you say) is a steal at $12K and probably a good buy at $15. A good driver at less than $20 will be hard to find. I suspect the Ebay car that did not meet reserve at $26.5 will not be sold for less than $30 and maybe more.
Porsche Rescue
Guess which was the project and which the restored six........
rwjames
Without seeing pictures and details, I would guess the car would be worth around $15K. But at that, you are going to spend a lot of money getting it up and going.

I think after the silver car sold for so much at B-J, everyone thinks there Six is worth a fortune and it's driving up the prices. I have been looking for a nice six for a few months and have seen the price go up about $5K just in the last 5 months or so for a nice original or restored six.

About 5 years ago, I sold a 914-6 in similar condition to what you are talking about with a 1973 1.7 driver and a 1975 1.8 parts car for about $12K. The six had been sitting and needing mostly just an engine rebuild, carb rebuild, fuel tank cleaning, brake refreshing, and could have used new paint.

Good Luck
Eric_Shea
I wonder if any of our computer gurus could put together a pricing program?

The one I'm envisioning would have every year and model with poor, good and excellent as condition markers. The end users could then simply add the price paid and click off the radio button for the condition. The condition markers would have good verbiage describing the overall category.

With this information we could build an interactive database and keep it right here on line.
Why did that factory M-471 six only sell for 32.5K,Did it have a numbers matching engine?Was something wrong with it? I bought a orginal six about a year ago really nice for the high teens,Now they seem to go for 24-28K
Porsche Rescue
QUOTE(914 @ Mar 27 2007, 06:58 AM) *

Why did that factory M-471 six only sell for 32.5K,Did it have a numbers matching engine?Was something wrong with it? I bought a orginal six about a year ago really nice for the high teens,Now they seem to go for 24-28K

My guess is that the seller of the M471 was not aware of the market. I think he knew his car was special and thought that $32.5 was top price. Note that it sold in a heartbeat and there was a line forming.
SLITS
A friend just sold a matching number original six that needed very little .... a paint job if anything to correct a few flaws for $27K. The engine had a couple of upgrades and ran beautifully.
burton73
The restoration shop next door sold a original 914-6 to a guy in Europe a primo car blue car for $30,000 1 1/2 years ago... The right people with money will pay the big money and a car going to Europe has the currency on their side. Mainland Europe 1.3 and the UK almost 2 to 1. They are selling cars all the time. The cost to repair rust is big money. Yes most people on this board are repairing there own cars but in the real world people with money are just looking for a nice car that is done and want to take it home. 914-6 will never go down in price. Only the originality or the quality of the restoration.

Bob
Johny Blackstain
I bought a house today! Went faster than I thought so here I am , a 914 posting junkie amongst many biggrin.gif . Anyway, aside from rust in my front trunk, (not too bad), 4 door dents, (now gone for $100.00), this is what I got:

1970 914-6, 2.7 litre (10.5/1 CR), Carrera tensioners, Electromotive crankfire ignition, dual 40mm triple Webbers w/ K&N's, sideshift update, 906 gears, Quaffe LSD, GT engine grille, interior passenger seat update, JWest fuse box,911 gauges, old style centre console, genuine M471 flares, 911S front brakes, K&H rear adjustable proportioning valve, SS brake lines, Konis front & rear, 23mm hollow Weltmeister swaybar front & 16mm rear, 200lbs springs rear, Fuchs 7x15 & 8x15, 916 bumpers & GT rockers, Pilot 55w driving lights, painted Black.

No, the flares did not come w/ the car originally but they are the real McCoy. Hell hole is fine & so are the longs. The paint is horrible, the floor has been replaced & is solid & the interior is nice, but butt ugly (black vinyl/grey velour). Everything but the clock works & works well. Shifts almost as smooth as my 4, (that's an original 901 w/ only 47.5k mi & new bushings all around), has unbelievable power, handles like it's on rails & stops rather well I must say.

It is a real six, #1921. I bought the car in January & it was listed here for $22.5k. I did not pay $22.5k, I paid less. My question is what should I have paid for this non original, totaly messed with high quality monster?

Edit- this was not a rhetorical question & I'm not trying to brag about anything except rust dry.gif , I'd honestly like to know what everyone thinks.

cool_shades.gif
carr914
Thanks Peeps for your replies. I thought I was on the money when I offered him $14,500, but quite frankly he was offended, even though it would have been a nice profit for him. He and I sat down tonight over a few Heinikens, I told him I was sorry if I offended him, but that was what the car was worth. He has decided he does not want to sell the car (even though I still have 1st shot) and I will continue to store the car til I run out of room. I certainly don't want the rust to grow. On the good news front, my bodyman told that he actually did some work on my Carrera.

Thanks All, T.C.
T.C.
You were "Right" on the money on that six, Seems like 914's have caught on to alot of people now,Like us.As for the six's look for a orginal one now,There like money in the bank,Very low prouduction #'s,Not many orginals left,Good Luck...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.