Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1500cc beast on the dyno with video..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
This one is a RAT built Type 1 that was tested today in preparation for the East Coast Timing Association's event this weekend in North Carolina. The car is a 1969 Ghia that currently holds the H/GALT record and has broken it's own record 4 times so far, the most recent with RAT tuning...

The engine is a race only 1500 (limited by class rules) wth a healthy dose of CR, some HAM heads,44 IDFs and a 1.5" header... We just finished a refresh of this engine and the results are typical :-)

The video you are about to see has one pull at 7,000 RPM and another at 7,500 RPM, I bumped up against the rev limiter barely at 8K once and the engine was still pulling!!! This is a violent engine that doesn't make much torque at all, but sees sub 130 MPH over a 1 mile run.
http://www.massivetype4.com/1500landspeeddyno.MOV

We were able to coax just over 1Hp per liter from it weighing at at 155HP@ 7K RPM... The engine has a somewhat limited life span so we chose not to wear it out on the dyno.. This one has another 5HP+ in it, IF we had the opportunity to use it as a mule for some serious development.

We are trying to convince the owner to run MassIVe TIV power next season, but until he does make the swap to a destroked big bore MassIVe engine we'll keep supporting his efforts with the Type 1!

From time to time when the build is right we'll take on a TI engine, but this one doesn't have a single Chinese part in it :-)
Bleyseng
Cool video.

nice street motor for a bay! clap56.gif
Hammy
Holy smokes... That's one serious engine Jake. It sounds MEAN biggrin.gif
You should make more videos like this......

Oh ya, Jake. I ordered a Unilite from you this weekend. Is there a typical turn around time of when you get them shipped out? I'm anxious!!
Jake Raby
Hammy, what was the order # and I'll check status for you.. We are out of stock on them right now because we sold TWENTY last week and have another batch on the way in now.. We can typically get them out the same or next day according to work load and other orders..
Right now we are all bound up with the TV show build..

I don't post a lot of videos like this because I honestly never think about doing it while we are in testing mode.. This video was taken on the old Stuska Dyno, the new lab is much more photogenic and set up better for video feeds.... BUT it's all tied up right now :-)

Hammy
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 26 2007, 07:54 PM) *

Hammy, what was the order # and I'll check status for you.. We are out of stock on them right now because we sold TWENTY last week and have another batch on the way in now.. We can typically get them out the same or next day according to work load and other orders..
Right now we are all bound up with the TV show build..

I don't post a lot of videos like this because I honestly never think about doing it while we are in testing mode.. This video was taken on the old Stuska Dyno, the new lab is much more photogenic and set up better for video feeds.... BUT it's all tied up right now :-)

Order #1760 . Thanks!!!
20?!! Damn, they're flyin' off the shelves......

Jake Raby
The Mallory is one of our hottest items because wityh the settings we have it works great... Looks like your order is on hold till the new batch comes in, unless rebecca pulls something from a Hat tomorrow and you get lucky..

Hammy
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 26 2007, 08:16 PM) *

The Mallory is one of our hottest items because wityh the settings we have it works great... Looks like your order is on hold till the new batch comes in, unless rebecca pulls something from a Hat tomorrow and you get lucky..

smile.gif
Thanks Jake. I'll be patient.
Jake Raby
Cool.. You are the first in line when we get them and we should get them set up quick and out the door.
Hammy
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 26 2007, 08:25 PM) *

Cool.. You are the first in line when we get them and we should get them set up quick and out the door.

Awesome Jake... thanks again.
Jake Raby
Sure!
John
We were able to coax just over 1Hp per liter from it weighing at at 155HP@ 7K RPM... The engine has a somewhat limited life span so we chose not to wear it out on the dyno.. This one has another 5HP+ in it, IF we had the opportunity to use it as a mule for some serious development.

I hope that is a typo and that you were off by a magnitude of 100, otherwise that is one big motor at 150 liters.

poke.gif

I know. I'll shut up now.
Joe Ricard
Pretty nice / mean sound.
Scariest part was the last second of the clip. Expecting you to come in and shut it down. But NOOOOO
Jake Raby
Nope.. We tortured it for 6 hours :-)
Mid_Engine_914
I really enjoyed watching that. Would adding direct injection to your motors be feasible? I just read an article on Autoweek's web site that said:

"The trick? Direct fuel injection, or DI.

DI moves the fuel injectors off the intake manifold and places them between the valves on the cylinder head. That enables a high compression ratio, which increases power. GM engineers designed special pistons for the engine to ensure smooth starts in cold weather."
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Mid_Engine_914 @ Mar 27 2007, 03:09 PM) *

I really enjoyed watching that. Would adding direct injection to your motors be feasible? I just read an article on Autoweek's web site that said:

"The trick? Direct fuel injection, or DI.

DI moves the fuel injectors off the intake manifold and places them between the valves on the cylinder head. That enables a high compression ratio, which increases power. GM engineers designed special pistons for the engine to ensure smooth starts in cold weather."

Yes and we are working on the components to do this with our newest cylinder heads....
PatW
clap56.gif Excellent drooley.gif Please make more vids..
Jake Raby
When we get the time to set the video feeds up in the new lab we'll be able to do live streams and video as well, but when engines are on the dyno there is generally a lot more on our minds than a few seconds of video...
Jake Raby
Another record shattered!!!!

Today was the first outing for the engine in this video, here are the results of our work as I posted them on my forum!
----------------------

Roger annihilated his old records (4 of them) after our recent revamp of his 1500cc race engine.... He picked up a whopping 7 MPH with no other changes to the car except our engine work!!!!! Roger blasted last season's best of 125 MPH in class by posting an incredible 132 MPH pass ON HIS FIRST RUN of the 2007 season!!

Today Roger competed in the East Coast Timing Association event in North Carolina. The track there is not nearly as long as in Bonneville but the record in Bonneville is only 1 MPH faster than Roger has already posted and calculations that were done by track personnel today show that if Roger would have been in Bonneville that he would have scorched the old class record there by a mile with a like performance of what he posted today!

WE KNOW there is more in this car, both in the engine as well as the gearing.. We need to move his RPM range up about 500 RPM over what he has now to use the current gearing best.

So... Once again the results of some coating technology, cryogenics, altered running clearances and a tad bit of head work have prevailed... The biggest change we made to the engine was SHORTENING the intake manifolds to move the powerband up a tad...

Picking up 7 MPH in Land Speed Racing is nearly unheard of with just some combo changes with the engine only... Roger amazed everyone at the track and the excitement in his voice when he called to give me the scoop really made me happy!

Roger has agreed to be our guest on this weeks 4th Dimension Radio show, so listen in for more scoop on this type of racing and Roger's experience with the racing, RAT and setting records..

So.Cal.914
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

Twystd1
Jake,

Having the sig of

"WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD ENGINE BUILDER"

Ain't such a bad thing... beerchug.gif

Clayton
scotty b
Ghia drag car from N.c. huh....Super Pickle ??? Or is that car no longer around?
JPB
Thats killer! pray.gif Ashmalhalmalhalmamalamahnal
scotty b
Coffee started to make brain werk. I think Super Pickle was a squreback not a Ghia
alpha434
Hey, Jake.

About this time three years ago, I was helping a friend supercharge his friend's viper. The only injectors that we could ge to hold the pressure were a Ford injector. 90+psi and still a beautiful vapor pattern. And we tried a large variety of injectors, and even had to rebuild the viper engine once because of a bad F-up.

Since then, I've sworn by ford injectors. Do NOT get me wrong. I'm NOT a fan of Ford. But the injectors are good.
Jake Raby
Yes, all the injectors I use are from Ford applications...

But this little 1500 is carbureted :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.