Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you buy a rebuilt MPS or a good used one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
OK...got a bad 043 MPS. I placed some feelers for one and I find myself torn with what I'm finding...
Help me decide. Here are my choices:

Performance Parts and Automobile Atlanta both sell rebuilt units for $236 and $190 respectively.

Plenty of 1.7 MPS for $100 + $50-$65 to have them re-calibrated.

Bleyseng sells them rebuilt (he rebuilds them...has for years) for $200

Found a used, but good, 043 for $150

My first inclination is to buy a good used one...but then I think..."all these units are 35 years old" and are all one day away from beginning to leak

No point to buy a 1.7 unit and then have to spend to have it re-calibrated, when an 043 is available for same price

One side of me says...by a rebuilt one...last for years...new diaphrams...yada...yada...other side of me says they are probably no better than a good used one and probably aren't even calibrated correctly

Allright..I know I'm over thinking this one---I just want to make a good decision so I can go driving.gif

Bleyseng
I have posted pics of the diaphrams used in the AA and PP MPS's, steel or soldered several times. Maybe they have changed in the last few months but those suck as throttle response suffers alot.

I don't make much money doing this as I do buy good used MPS's and set them up for 2.0L's or 2056's w/9550 cams.
The early 1.7 MPS has a stop built in to the cover to prevent them form overstressing while the 2.0L's don't. This is where I get my good diaphrams as nobody is making them. Even the Brett rebuilts used a funky nearly flat diaphram that cracks quickly.

KELTY360
Go with Bleyseng. Geoff will treat you right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.