Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gauges not working now ?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
my temp gauge and my head temp gauge are not working now?! ... and I amd having trouble figuring out which wires I s/b looking for to be connected ..... they bopth work before the engine exchange ( 2.0L for 2.0L ) so I know from the firewall forward is ok ... but I am not as sure after that

I have the taco plate wire connected to the green wire that comes from over by the brain box ( what I thought to be the head temp sensor)

then I have a green and black wire connected to what I think is the oil temp sensor in the top of the engine ( kinda between the dizzy and the throttle body )
John
Did you disturb any wiring inside the car?

What else did you do with the wiring (is it still plugged in at the relay board?)

What else does not work?

Do the gauges have power (+12v) and ground?

What is the resistance between the sender wire at the gauges that do not work and ground? (Check with a meter). These should not have infinite resistance, nor should they be 0 ohms resistance.

Just a couple places to look.

Good luck.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Mar 26 2007, 09:51 PM) *

I have the taco plate wire connected to the green wire that comes from over by the brain box ( what I thought to be the head temp sensor)

then I have a green and black wire connected to what I think is the oil temp sensor in the top of the engine ( kinda between the dizzy and the throttle body )

The one on top is your oil preasure. Does the oil light go out on the dash.
Dave_Darling
"Temp gauge and head temp gauge". Stock temp gauge or aftermarket? There was no stock head temp gauge, so I am assuming aftermarket.

The common VDO aftermarket CHT gauge uses a ring-shaped thermocouple on one of the spark plugs, typically the #3 plug. If you don't have that plugged into the wires (one black, one red) and on the spark plug it won't read anything.

As for the oil temp gauge, make sure that the sender wire is plugged in to the gauge, and not hooked up to something else.

--DD
sk8kat1
idea.gif .... well I didn't touch any wires under the dash ... just disconected and dropped the engine ... I did find a mystry connection coming through the firewall.... it is a connector with one red wire and one blk wire .. I am guessing the head tem gauge... I also assume that I lost the engine side connection when I exchanged my engine.... mad.gif

as far as the oil temp I guess I will test the sender to see what is the situation with that ... it seemed pretty mucked up .. so I will give it a good cleaning again and see what happens..
sk8kat1

The common VDO aftermarket CHT gauge uses a ring-shaped thermocouple on one of the spark plugs, typically the #3 plug. If you don't have that plugged into the wires (one black, one red) and on the spark plug it won't read anything.

--DD
[/quote]

it is the VDO gauge ... and do they sell the thermocouple w/o having to buy the gauge again?
Bartlett 914
[quote name='sk8kat1' date='Mar 27 2007, 04:59 AM' post='880317']

--DD
[/quote]

it is the VDO gauge ... and do they sell the thermocouple w/o having to buy the gauge again?
[/quote]

Call Brad and see if it is on the engine you traded in. Find out what he can do for you. You can always ask...
sk8kat1
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 26 2007, 11:20 PM) *

QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Mar 26 2007, 09:51 PM) *

The one on top is your oil preasure. Does the oil light go out on the dash.

actually the dash light doesn't turn on ... ... so i guess i might be barking up the wrong tree ... so where is the temp sender? confused24.gif
John
Temp sensor is in Taco Plate (bottom drivers side of engine)

Pressure idiot light sender is on top of engine near the distributor.

Does your fuel gauge read anything?

I thought that the temp sensor (from the taco plate) plugs into the vehicle harness in the area under the battery.

I think the pressure sensor/idiot light is part of the engine harness and is routed through the engine mounted relay panel.

Good luck.
sk8kat1
QUOTE(John @ Mar 27 2007, 07:39 AM) *

Temp sensor is in Taco Plate (bottom drivers side of engine)

Pressure idiot light sender is on top of engine near the distributor

Does your fuel gauge read anything?

[i][color=#3366FF] yup fuel gauge does have a reading

I thought that the temp sensor (from the taco plate) plugs into the vehicle harness in the area under the battery.

[i][color=#3333FF] me too and I connected that wire to the green wire that is a part of the hrness under the batt tray

I think the pressure sensor/idiot light is part of the engine harness and is routed through the engine mounted relay panel.

Good luck.

Dave_Darling
The oil temp sender is up inside the "taco plate". It should have a wire that runs across the bottom of the motor, and connects over on the right-hand side of the engine bay under the battery. The wire should be green with a stripe--either a red stripe or a black one, I forget which.

The oil pressure "idiot light" sender is the one on top of the case near the distributor, and it has a green wire with the other colored stripe (black, red) hooked up to it.

It's Bad News if the light never goes on. It means, if you lose your oil for any reason, you won't know until the engine seizes. Not so good.

Check the connections; make sure that the wire that is hooked to the gauge is the same one that gets hooked to the sender. A continuity tester (or LED tester or "function that goes beep on my multimeter) is an easy way to do that.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.