Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temp gauge misbehaving
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bogaat
It seems to be getting hot to the touch and just barely registers a temp change after the engine is warmed up. I haven't checked a thing yet, but thought I would ask for input. Thanks all...is it Friday yet? beer3.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bogaat @ Mar 27 2007, 09:03 AM) *

It seems to be getting hot to the touch and just barely registers a temp change after the engine is warmed up. I haven't checked a thing yet, but thought I would ask for input. Thanks all...is it Friday yet? beer3.gif

hooked up wrong? maybe?

"G" does *NOT* stand for ground!!!!

it stands for "Geber" which is german for "Sender", meaning "G" should be connected to the sending unit, + should go to 12V and - should go to ground ...

smile.gif Andy
terrymason
My car does the same thing. The stock temp gauge barely moves when the car's warmed up. I just bought and installed a CHT gauge, and it seems to be pretty accurate. It will get up to 325 before my stock gauge does anything.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1198
sk8kat1
QUOTE(terrymason @ Mar 27 2007, 10:52 AM) *

My car does the same thing. The stock temp gauge barely moves when the car's warmed up. I just bought and installed a CHT gauge, and it seems to be pretty accurate. It will get up to 325 before my stock gauge does anything.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1198

isn't 325 kinda on the hot side .. mine used to hang out at like 280-ish blink.gif
John
That sounds like a typical gauge/sender mismatch (or a failing sender or gauge).

The gauges/senders were for the most part matched. I know between 1973 and 1974, they changed gauges (moved the red mark to give the needle a broader swing before it got to the red area), and they also changed senders. The 1974 had more range (the needle moved more for a given temp).

I think the real change was the sender.

On another note, I briefly had 2 gauges wired to the same sending unit and both gauges displayed almost exactly 1/2 what they should have.
914Sixer
The wire to the senders get brittle from engine heat. The voltage does not pass as it should, therefore the temp will be off. In the telephone business we have what are know as High Joints. They let the signal (voltage) pass but it causes distortion. The wire is making intermittent contact because the voltage is jumping the small opening. The insulation of the wire is what holds the wire together to complete the circuit.

As for the difference in the guages, the temp scales are identical when you look at the range printed on them when you take them out of the case. The red lines are different though. The senders start and end at different temps.
terrymason
QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Mar 27 2007, 11:00 AM) *

isn't 325 kinda on the hot side .. mine used to hang out at like 280-ish blink.gif

I"ve only run my car with the new cht gauge in it for 10 minutes, and the gauge showed 325, but it was about 55 degress out, so I guess that means the real engine temp was only ~300

I searched the forums up and down, and the only temp number I found was 400 (as in "at 400 degrees your engine will explode)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.