Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tie Rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Is there a relatively non expensive way to replace these?

I'm needing both ball joints replaced, and the tie rods---i hear turbo tie rods make for an excellent improvement over stock.

If my tie rods look fine, can I get away with just replacing the tie rod ends?

John
In a word. Yes.

I wouldn't anymore, but I realize that money can be tight.

You could just do the tie-rod ends as long as your tie-rods aren't rusted solid to the ends.

You will have to do an alignment when done regardless of whether you do just the tie rod end or the whole tie rod.

Good luck
bd1308
Well if it can be justified, I might be able to make it work.
bd1308
Plus if its new, thats one less thing I have to worry about smile.gif
So.Cal.914
The turbo tie rods made a world of differance on mine, maybe because the

rubber was all rotten but i can sneeze and change lanes its so tight. smile.gif
bd1308
I'm hoping its not an error, but these things are listed at AA for 141.

At that price i'm buying it without second thought!
r_towle
sounds correct for the two tie rods.
You will need a spacer as well, it should be in the kit.
If you do not use the spacer, you will have to pull the tie rod out so far that it will be only sitting on a few threads, and that is dangerous.
the spacer looks like a 1/4 inch think washer that goes on the steering rack before you thread on the turbo tie rods.

Rich
bd1308
I like the idea of having two new boots as well for my rack N pinion rack,

all in one kit.

Why is PP's price double what AA is charging?
TheCabinetmaker
cause there are different brands of turbo tie rods. don't know what AA sells, but I think the brand you want is Lemforder.
bd1308
Oh!

very true.

Just wondering if I really *need* turbo tie rods--although i'd rather get good Porsche parts.
914werke
heres something to think about, the OE tie rod assemblies are 4 pieces
the outer rod end, the rod itself (essentially a threaded collar), the
U shaped rod bracket and the inner end that screws into the Rack.
I found out recently trying to rebuild to new & original that the inner ends are NLA.
So for about $50 you can replace the outer ends but the inners are captured rubber (either vulcanized or pressed) that after 30 yrs have either "flowed" dried up or generally given it up sad.gif since you have to align the car anyway you might as well relace the assemblies with components that eliminate that rubber end.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Mar 27 2007, 05:06 PM) *

Oh!

very true.

Just wondering if I really *need* turbo tie rods--although i'd rather get good Porsche parts.

Turbo tie rods are from the 930 turbo I believe so technically they are "good Porsche parts."

They make a world of difference...
Borderline
Be careful with the brands and prices. I bought a cheap turbo tie rod kit a couple years ago and the rubber parts were rotten almost before I got them on the car. Had to get a second set!! this time I got good quality. Hopefully they will last a while. I would expect to pay about $150 or more. The ones you see on Ebay for $100 are garbage.
bd1308
PP and AA's prices vary by 100 bucks, I'm curious as to why.

I bet it comes down to vendors, and at least with PP i **KNOW** who i'm getting parts from.

At this point, and judging by what a biotch it was to fix temporarily on one side, I'm goign with brand spanking new stuff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.