Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Lid Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesBernard
I'm finishing up restoring my little green 914, but theres a problem with the rear trunk lid.
The left side sits higer than the right side. The right side fits nice and snug but the left(drivers) side is about half an inch too high.
How do you get them even?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(JamesBernard @ Mar 27 2007, 03:38 PM) *

I'm finishing up restoring my little green 914, but theres a problem with the rear trunk lid.
The left side sits higer than the right side. The right side fits nice and snug but the left(drivers) side is about half an inch too high.

replace the trunk hinge pivot bracket. It is broken.
markb
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 27 2007, 03:44 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesBernard @ Mar 27 2007, 03:38 PM) *

replace the trunk hinge pivot bracket. It is broken.

agree.gif
watsonrx13
If it looks like this, then yes, the rear trunk hinge has broken from the side of the inner fender well...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
JamesBernard
yeeppp
haha thanks guys

man what would i do without this site
haha
JamesBernard
how hard is it to find one of those?
how much are they normally?
Are they hard to replace? my 914 is all torn apart, now would probably be the right time to fix it
Andyrew
Find one? 914 parts store have them... (AA has em.. just saw them..)
Hard to replace? Cut out the old one, weld in the new one..

Bout 25 for the part.. Know a welder?

Andrew
martinef1963
I have a similar problem w/ my front hood. The passenger side sits just a little higher in the front of the car.

I notice though that when I release tension on the spring it sits better, however, when I open the hood it doesn't really want to stay open, as well.

When I say I release tension on the spring I mean: driver side spring set on second notch, passenger side spring set on 1st notch.

Is this normal for a 30+ year old car?

thanks,

Nando
bperry
QUOTE(JamesBernard @ Mar 28 2007, 01:12 AM) *

how hard is it to find one of those?
how much are they normally?
Are they hard to replace? my 914 is all torn apart, now would probably be the right time to fix it

You may want to look at yours to see if it is broken or torn or if
the welds just sheered off because it might be re-usable.

If not, Tweeks has them for $1.99.
Trunk Hinge Bracket
Part #400-110

The style is slightly different from what is on my 74 because
the bottom is rounded vs cut like the top, but it could
be made match by simply cutting off the bottom.

--- bill
JWest
You can get a fix, rather than a replacement, here.
krazykonrad
agree.gif

I had the same problem and it was the weld that hold the bracket in was broken, not the actual bracket itself. A little welding and it was as good as new. If its broken, it probably means you're missing the rollers that go on the thingies, torsion bar, i guess that spring the trunk lid. go with the solid metal upgrades fro J West. the stock plastic ones break all the time.
Konrad
woobn8r
QUOTE(James Adams @ Mar 28 2007, 07:29 AM) *

You can get a fix, rather than a replacement, here.

I think the smart money is on the "fix"...

less BS!

My $0.02 (-15% cause I'm Canadian)
Chris Pincetich
I *can* weld, don't have the equipment, didn't like the look of the tight space to do the repair...yada yada.... installed my JWest hinge in about 30 minutes and it rocks. It can adjust if you make a bad measurement...try that with the welded one. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.