Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bus clutch in 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
How can I make a bus clutch work in my 914....?

I'm due for a clutch swap and have heard that bus clutches work with mods and are available locally, while Porsche things need to be ordered.

I figure a flywheel change is in order, as well as different clutch/flywheel......
Bleyseng
The bus flywheel won't engage the 914 starter so do you like to push start the car all the time?

Maybe if you put a bug starter in the 901 tranny it would work.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 27 2007, 06:41 PM) *

The bus flywheel won't engage the 914 starter so do you like to push start the car all the time?

Maybe if you put a bug starter in the 901 tranny it would work.

I don't have time to address this right now, but it's pretty much flat wrong. The Cap'n
bd1308
Talked to a bus guy, he says that the starter/flywheel might okay if one uses a clutch from a bus OTHER than the 76-79 busses where they used the 091 6-rib tranny.

Geoff, your bus is a 6 rib tranny.

I believe the 5-rib bus clutch would be fine--just making sure.
PRS914-6
Call Kennedy Engineering. Ask for Brett 661-272-1147
bd1308
Probably closed, huh?
LowGT
I had a bus flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate in my 914 when I bought it. The stock 914 starter worked fine in it, however the main problem was they left the pilot bearing in the crank instead of putting it in the flywheel. So my 901 input shaft/bearings were all boogered up causing horrible input shaft seal leaks. The trans was hosed. The bus clutch was also smaller in diameter.

The whole deal caused a shitload of problems with my teener. Thanks Mr. PO.
bd1308
Nice. I plan on also replacing some of the tranny seals and such too.
markb
Why not just order the right clutch & do it right the first time?
bd1308
bc I can get a rebuilt clutch/PP locally for 100

vs. having the same combo for 275.

With rebuilt clutch/PP the flywheel resurfacing is included smile.gif
markb
Ok, I'm not going to argue the point, it seems your mind is made up. Good luck with it.
bd1308
Well....

whats the issue?
John
I will send you a used PP and disc for $30.00.

I need something to cover shipping. For another $20, I'll send you the flywheel.

$50.00 total. (it's all 914 parts)

I would re-use it if I had a 4-cyl car. I had pics somewhere.
markb
Trying to "make something work" that was not designed to work in our cars. Personally, I'd rather not futz around with trying, and just do it right the first time. You'll spend more time & money "trying to make it work" than it would have to do it right in the first place.
Just my .02
markb
QUOTE(John @ Mar 27 2007, 08:37 PM) *

I will send you a used PP and disc for $30.00.

I need something to cover shipping. For another $20, I'll send you the flywheel.

$50.00 total. (it's all 914 parts)

I would re-use it if I had a 4-cyl car. I had pics somewhere.

Jump on this!!
bd1308
As long as there's meat on the disc, i'm game!

I'll bite smile.gif

you do the paypal thing?
John
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Mar 27 2007, 08:44 PM) *

As long as there's meat on the disc, i'm game!

I'll bite smile.gif

you do the paypal thing?

You know I do. PM sent.

I'll box it up for you.
Aaron Cox
yay!
hellsbend
the bus pressure plate is taller due to a different shape of the tangs that the TOB rides on. There really isn't room for the bus pressure plate to work right, and I think the bus TOB is smaller in diameter as well-which means the wrong part of the tang is bearing the load. The disk is the same, but the flywheel has a different offset so correct starter ingaugement may be a problem.
brer
grouphug.gif
911quest
BD1308 I ran a 2.0 bus flywheel and cluthch kit in my 73 914 for over two years its not big deal
bd1308
intresting, since all I have been getting is that its impossible.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Mar 27 2007, 09:26 PM) *

bc I can get a rebuilt clutch/PP locally for 100

vs. having the same combo for 275.

With rebuilt clutch/PP the flywheel resurfacing is included smile.gif

In over 45 years of working on VWs and Porsches, I have yet to see a RB VW or Porsche clutch that's worth a damn. And you still need a release bearing ..............

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.