Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lap Times at VIR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundboy914
I was at VIR a week or so ago, with the zone 2 PCA DE, and i had a blast. Never run there before, drove the 914 both ways (over 2000 miles round trip - NO HEAT), and only added 3 qts. of good old dino juice. I did have fun, but was frustrated. My car is a 76 2.0l 4, with moderate suspension, tires, and some engine stuff. I was running away from the newer cars in the corners (especially the climbing s's), but was getting hammered on the straights. I was running 2:37's towards the end, but was one of the slower overall cars. I am just getting frustrated with the lack of power. I was sitting on the grid before my last run group, and the next lowest horsepower car was a euro 911 Carrera. My shit just can run with 996's and 997's.
So, my first question, what kind of times dot he local 914 guys run there?
Second, i don't even want to say it, but i am thinking that it is time to retire the 914 from track events.
drew365
I can't comment on lap times at VIR. In our club we have several guys that run very stock 914 - 4s in our w2w race classes. They have a lot of fun dicing with themselves and turning respectable times but definately run at the back of the pack. If your're content getting cheap seat time and having fun the 914 can do it for you. If you want to run further up front you will probably need a different ride and a lot more $$$.
BenNC
I haven't had a chance to run there yet (jackstands really wreak havoc with lap times), but those times seem about right from what I've heard. That's an average speed of about 80 mph.

jdogg has run it a bit. Maybe he'll chime in.

Full course at VIR doesn't seem particularly well suited for a stock 914 with the long straights, but some of the other (tighter) configurations might work out better.
mudfoot76
Don't retire your 914 from DE! Remember, you aren't out competing for TToD, it is driver education. So what if a 997 can blast down a straight at 130+, one of the many enjoyable aspects of 914 driving to me is being able to stick to the bumper of that 997 (or 996, etc) through the twisties. I don't go to DE to be the fastest, it is just fun to be able to drive the car at limits that one cannot get to on the street.

One time, I got a point-by from someone in a GT3 (996) at Putnam Park. That guy was obviously way over his head, but I can imagine his expression at getting passed by a 30+ yr old "NARP" while sitting in that street legal race car with him being unable to make it go(he pretty much was scared of what he had bought and slightly dismayed that the car wouldn't just make him Bergmeister).
roundboy914
Appreciate the comments. Maybe I wasn't clear. I have been doing DE's for over 10 years, and there used to be a whole lot more cars that were fun to play with (944's, 914's, 912's). Now they are all gone it seems. I have always loved passing cars that i have no godly right to be passing (passed a 427 Cobra at Blackhawk last year, and a 355 also). Always said that if i am passing you (fat guy, tiny no horsepower car) then you should just hand me your keys, give me your car, and i will let you learn on mine.
I just am tired of having to wait 2-3 laps for some POS driving his wife's new Boxster S to let me by, cause i have been munching on his bumber for the last 10 minutes.

woobn8r
I can appreciate the situation, after many years of racing I "retired" and after a couple more years passed, I took my '92 911 2.4 E to MOSPORT with the PCA to DE....

It seemed everyone had a fully prepped racer and they left me in the dust with nobody to play with...even in the "blue" group. ( i didn't go RED group as I didn't want to instruct)

Truth be told there were slower cars that gridded behind me that I pulled away from but never got to see again in a 20 min session...when I started last on the pre grid I passed them all, but had to wait for the straights due to PCA passing rules....how UN-FUN.....I sold my 911 (and wish I hadn't).

Why dont you add a couple of cylinders to your 914 and give yourself a new lease on life....It sounds like you have a sorted chassis that you are comfortable driving...a couple more bangs (for some bucks) will lower your lap times, put you with faster cars, give you somthing new to learn and get used to....all the while without selling a great car (which I'm sure you'd miss)

It's a thought....
xitspd
Keep racing. Seat time is very important! It will teach you to be very fast when you install your first big motor. In my first race with my first comp lic they inverted the pole. I almost ssst a brick when the flag dropped. I was happy when the dust cleared and I was trying very hard to follow the pack. There is no substitute for seat time.
Dan

Dan
mudfoot76
QUOTE(roundboy914 @ Mar 29 2007, 10:34 AM) *

I just am tired of having to wait 2-3 laps for some POS driving his wife's new Boxster S to let me by, cause i have been munching on his bumber for the last 10 minutes.

Yes, this is a big problem. When it happens to me, I try to talk to the driver and say "hey, you are holding me back, watch your mirrors better". If I don't think that will help, I talk to the person(s) in charge of the event and let them know the car that is causing problems. Those people do not like to hear about drivers not paying attention to traffic/mirrors and will (usually) handle the situation at that point. But then you've been at this for quite awhile so this likely isn't news to you...

I had this problem last fall with a 964C4. We were equally matched in the straights (don't know why) but he was slower through the corners. If you think the wifey in a Boxster S is bad, compare that to some jerk's trophy girlfriend in her new Cayenne Turbo bday present who can't figure out how to do the chin strap on her helmet (no joke, I saw this with my own eyes).

An HP upgrade would be fun. Talk to Jake aktion035.gif Or swap in a 6. But we need to keep carrying the torch at DEs. I'd like nothing better than to have another 914 at the track with me. I've been trying to talk Garold into coming down to Putnam for a couple years now. I've gotten to run with other 914s twice and it is a blast. Anytime anyone is coming to Putnam, let me know!!
roundboy914
Geoff,
There is an experienced driver's only DE at Autobahn on 04/30 (a monday) with the Chicago region of PCA. I am going, and i imagine that John T. will be there as well. You should head up for the day. Fun track if you have not run it before.
Matt
jdogg
Roundboy- I hear ya about getting pulled in the straights at VIR....even with my 2.4 -6 with a whopping 140 crank HP, I require some big lifts from those in the point-by seat.
2:37s are cooking pretty good out there on full course, especially considering the length of the two straights...there's lots of time for higher HP cars to make up through there..I'm still pretty green with the track events (mostly been an autocrosser), but back in February in 20 degree weather(no grip, baby) I was able to run to run flat 2:40s. I'd venture a guess you might be able to grab a couple/few more seconds with your current platform with some more time out there, but the suggestion to add cylinders(or just generally mo'power) will be the only way to break through to the 2:20s.....
Let us know the next time you head to VIR, it's only an hour and a half from the house~we may even be running the same event!
I am running North course Easter weekend!! Anybody here coming???
wbergtho
Why dont you add a couple of cylinders to your 914 and give yourself a new lease on life....

I agree...Or add 4 more like I did. I have an LS6 500+ V-8 in my 74 914 and I loved the expression on the 996 TT owner when he came up to me on lunch break at a Brainerd Slow pokes event and said "Hey...are you the guy in the white 914?" I replied "Yes". He said "I have never been humiliated on the track....especially on the straight by a 914!" Coming out of turn 10 with the 996 TT glued to my backside, I rolled on the power into the straight and he receded quickly in my rear view mirror. I put a very sizable gap on him! All the modifications and hard work paid off that very moment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.