Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom lexan rear window fitment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I cut a template out of cardboard to give to my local shop and I can't figure out for the life of me how I can possibly slide a solid piece of Lexan in without removing the top pad or something else. I really don't want to take apart the rollcage or top pad or anything.

I posted pics here.

Any ideas aside from cutting the lexan window in half? Cutting sounds like its my only option. Also, how did you guys mount lexan like this? I know the old window seal is still on there, how does the stock glass mount?

Thanks

IPB Image
machina
QUOTE(yarin @ Mar 27 2007, 11:02 PM) *

I cut a template out of cardboard to give to my local shop and I can't figure out for the life of me how I can possibly slide a solid piece of Lexan in without removing the top pad or something else. I really don't want to take apart the rollcage or top pad or anything.

I posted pics here.

Any ideas aside from cutting the lexan window in half? Cutting sounds like its my only option. Also, how did you guys mount lexan like this? I know the old window seal is still on there, how does the stock glass mount?

Thanks

IPB Image

check out my build pics at http://www.synthesisdv.com/vg/

go to the complete section and see the last 2 rows of pics.

the lexan flexes pretty well, we made a template and then cut some alu strips to hold it in from inside which you can also see in the pics.
propricer
Made one out of Lexan years ago for my 914-6 and finally tossed it ... are you SURE you need it ???
yarin
QUOTE(propricer @ Mar 28 2007, 12:05 AM) *

Made one out of Lexan years ago for my 914-6 and finally tossed it ... are you SURE you need it ???

Yes.. i drive it on the street and wouldn't mind cutting down on some noise. Plus I look at it as a safety concern as well.

I hope it flexes enough to be able to fit it in there. I went with 3/16" instead of 1/4". I'd hate to have to cut it in half.

burton73
You can use a plastic called UVEX it is used for forming face masks and is more flexible than Lexan. It is also used to form motorcycle windscreens.

It bends better and will not break.

Bob Burton /Burton Plastics. I do not have it.
Joe Ricard
if the choice is to cut it or remove the interior pieces I'd get my screw driver rather than jig saw.
good choice on 3/16 but 1/8 is probably more than adequate.
sixnotfour
I had the same dilema, I filled the corners with 12 gauge sheet steel.
A big corner gusset cant hurt ?
yarin
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 28 2007, 01:36 PM) *

if the choice is to cut it or remove the interior pieces I'd get my screw driver rather than jig saw.
good choice on 3/16 but 1/8 is probably more than adequate.

Joe, i've never removed the padding around that area. Can I just remove the top? The roll cage flange is bolted to the stock roll bar at the seatbelt mount. There is no way I can remove either of the side interior pieces.
r_towle
remove the bolt that is attached to the roll cage...it will go back in later.
remove both side pieces of trim
remove the top piece.
Install lexan

replace all the interior parts.

Rich
ChrisFoley
I say make metal (thin aluminum) fillers for the corners like in sixnotfour's picture.
You won't need to remove the side trim panels but I think you will need to at least loosen the top piece in order to secure the lexan section.
tdsmoonchild
QUOTE(machina @ Mar 27 2007, 10:00 PM) *

check out my build pics at http://www.synthesisdv.com/vg/

go to the complete section and see the last 2 rows of pics.

the lexan flexes pretty well, we made a template and then cut some alu strips to hold it in from inside which you can also see in the pics.

Dude, I like your shop.
machina

that's larry jordano's place in stuart florida. he is a great racer, car builder, person in general.

he erected that entire structure by himself, every bolt.
yarin
All I can say is WOW.. that was too easy. I didn't have to remove any of the interior trim. The 3/16" lexan popped in with a little flex required. My goal wasn't to seal the rear from rain and whatnot, just a little sound barrier and safety.

Cost me $125 for GE 3/16" Lexan cut to match the cardboard template I cut out. The edges are a little rough, I should clean it up a little. But it gets the job done. I used sheet metal screws into the body, holes were already there. I guess the PO had a custom rear window in at some point..

IPB Image

More pics..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.