Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Question to Parents...Child car seats?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
Hi all you parents of future 914 wrench turners.

Got a question I thought I'd field with y'all. We're starting to look into the next step up in car seats for little Sara (19 months). She's startingto get too tall for the infant carrier. Yes, she's petite. But then both her parents aren't exactly towering giants either, I corner balance my car with 130 lbs in the driver's seat...

Anyway, we're looking for either a convertable car seat or a toddler seat that can SAFELY hold 18 lbs and 29 in. Cost is not as important as safety (1st), easy of use and comfort.

Any experiences or suggestions?

So far the front runners that we're considering are:

Britax Boulevard
Recaro Youth Sport
Sunshine Kids Radian 80

Any others that we should look at? Or any experiences you care to share? Any info would be great!!

Thanks!!

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Got the Recaro youth booster for my 7 yr old.
Just like a race seat. side bolsters, and head restraint/ impact protection.

uses 5 point harness it's adjustable for taller kids. it reclines somehow.
nicely padded. iT rocks and it fits in my Sparco seat so we can cruise in the teener.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Recaro-Young-Sport-Chi...1QQcmdZViewItem
sk8kat1
I was fond of britax
fiid
We have 2 Britax Marathons, one for each of us. It looks like the Boulevard is just a more upmarket version of the Marathon... If I were you I wouldn't spend any more than you need to because you can't resell these things when you are done with them.

Britax make a smaller seat which I wouldn't recommend because the kids grow out of it.

The marathon seems to work okay in the 914, but I'm adding some eyebolts so I can use the snap-in anchors.

jhadler
QUOTE(fiid @ Mar 28 2007, 04:19 PM) *

We have 2 Britax Marathons, one for each of us. It looks like the Boulevard is just a more upmarket version of the Marathon... If I were you I wouldn't spend any more than you need to because you can't resell these things when you are done with them.

I'm willing to pony up the dough, as Sara will be in this seat for many years to come. I'm looking at seats that have some form of side impact protection in the design (hence the 3 previously mentioned).

I'm really not concerned about resale, as chances are the seat mighteven be worn out before she's out grown it.

Britax make a smaller seat which I wouldn't recommend because the kids grow out of it.

I would like a seat that can take her up to 80 lbs, but 65 seems to be the majority. 80 lbs is just on a few models.

The marathon seems to work okay in the 914, but I'm adding some eyebolts so I can use the snap-in anchors.

Good idea. I like the Sunshine model as it's narrow, but so is the Recaro. The sunshine model is folding (pretty nice for travel), but has not been out very long.

-Josh2
TROJANMAN
we have 2 britax marathons
and 2 britax roundabouts
as well as a graco and an eddie bauer. (i hate changing seats in cars, so i bought 2 for each car tongue.gif)

Personally, I think the Britax is overpriced, but it does fit my car the best.

the marathons are great, but HUGE (those are in the expy)
i bought the roundabout specifically for the 914

check craigslist, there are always a few on there
I also have a roundabout I am selling if you're interested
3-596-5656
ejm
All child seats have to meet the same guidelines for safety, higher price does not buy a safer seat. Be sure to have the child try the seat. Next to comfort ease of use is most important especially if the seat will be moved between cars. Some of the chain "child" stores will let you test fit the display seat in your car. You want one that works well in your cars. Check out Program Professionals . The links tab has lots of good info. Read the seats instructions and your vehicles owners manual then have a certified CPS technician check your installation. I look child seat installations everyday and most could be done better. And better is safer.
Joe Ricard
My 7 yr old son and I went to Walmart and tested each of the crappy seats they had in stock.
He didn't like any of them. no padding, hard to buckle ( he does it himself) I thought there was no protection for the occupant at all

Seats ARE NOT all the same. Not all seats are allowed on airplanes (higher standard)

Having been in a few wrecks it is important to me to provide the best safety for my youngin.

Anyway that's how I look at it.
IronHillRestorations
We were sold on the Britax. Yes they are more expensive, but the straps are heavier and buckles are better. We got alot of miles out of the Roundabout. At five (almost six) and eight years we have moved to boosters, and with our shorter stature kids they'll be in them for some time.
John
I guess, I'll show my true age here....

WTF? When I was young, I never heard anything about child seats. Is it a miracle that we are all alive now? Anyone else think all this child seat fad is a little overboard?

With the way the law are going, kids in School need to be in child seats while School Buses aren't even required to have lap belts.

I say ban cell phones, eating, drinking, watching TV, putting on make-up, and reading books while driving instead.

BTW, get a car seat the fits the kid (and your car) LATCH systems are the nicest.
(Looks like my 1yo and my 3yo will be in child seats for a LONG time)

just my $0.02
r_towle
Get a seat that has a removable and machine washable cover.
Get one that mounts both forwards and backward, and fits in your car without any odd shimming or padding.

I like the ones that have a large plastic tray in front of the child that swings down after you put the child in the seat. I found that much easier to get the kid into the seat fast, and out of the seat fast...
Evenflo-Tribute-I-DLX-Convertible-Car-Seat-P1508
We tried alot of them, 4 kids..and this type was the best for the kid...they have a place to put their arms, and rest a drink, and a place to lean against when tired...and its a single click to put them in place.
Rich
Porcharu
I like the Britax Boulevard - we have two of them. Logan is about 23 pounds and this seat should last for a few years. The seat is good for 40 pounds and it mounts easily and the child is easy to 'install' and 'remove' from the seat.
Steve
Joe Ricard
When My son was in preschool there was a harness system in the bus that each kid wore. it looked like a rock climbing thing. tethered to the seat somehow. Pretty good idea for a bunch of 3-4 yr olds.
JerryP
When we did our research we found that all seats were NOT tested the same. Yes all seats sold in the states have to meet certain minimum standards but side impact wasn't one of them at the time, according to what we were told.

European minimum standards are higher for these seats. We went with the Britax as it was the most tested seat they carried at the places we went to. I'm sure other less expensive seats are just fine and maybe just as good but we weren't really looking for a bargain on this item.
Air_Cooled_Nut
My g/f has a very nice Eddy Bauer in her Passat. I have a black Britax Boulevard that I keep in my Jetta but can easily switch to my 914. In fact, I picked up the little princess at day-care this evening. She loves it! "Daddy's Persha! ZOOM ZOOM!" (she's almost 2.5 years). It's a very neat experience for her because she's UPFRONT with the driver and not stuck in the back of the car. She watches me shift, double-clutch, brake, accelerate, turn, and sees the needles on the gauges bouncing and whipping -- and the top is off all the time so there's new sounds and smells and a MUCH better view of the road ahead and to the sides.

Comparing the Britax vs. Eddy, I definitely like the Britax better. Adjusting, in/out of multiple cars ease, LATCH system as well as non-LATCH securing i.e. 914 and VW Squareback. Known for being safe car seats.

I will admit, however, that mine tips over when I make a hard right hand turn in my 914. Absolutely no such issue in my Jetta...maybe the wide, cloth rear bench seat vs. a narrow, vinyl seat? Oh, wait, the Jetta uses a LATCH for the back top of the seat, that's probably why. The mention of eye-bolts (or similar) in order to use the LATCH system is a great idea, I'm gonna have to look further into that myself.

BTW, after I bought the Britax, I had to fight for it to keep it in my Jetta as the g/f really wanted it. Said the black matched her car (which is black). It's all about the fashion rolleyes.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Mar 29 2007, 09:11 PM) *

I will admit, however, that mine tips over when I make a hard right hand turn in my 914. Absolutely no such issue in my Jetta...maybe the wide, cloth rear bench seat vs. a narrow, vinyl seat?

The seatbelt clips usually help prevent the tipping.
IronHillRestorations
John,

The issue with child seats is crashworthness, and regular seat belts. Sure banning all the things you suggest is a great idea, and already illegal in some states, but car seats are the law too.

Don't you remember driving your kid home from the hospital the first time?? I think most of us here probably went no faster than like 25mph! It's precious cargo and IMHO you can't over do protecting them.
balljoint
I believe that Britax does a great deal more crash testing with their seats. More than the minimum requirements anyway and as a result have a very good reputation.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 30 2007, 07:25 AM) *

I believe that Britax does a great deal more crash testing with their seats. More than the minimum requirements anyway and as a result have a very good reputation.

Probably one of the reasons it's the brand that Porsche put thier name on.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Mar 29 2007, 09:49 PM) *

The seatbelt clips usually help prevent the tipping.

slap.gif

You're absolutely right! I have one on each seat belt to hold the buckle up. I can simply take the passenger one and thread in the lap section to lock it in. Duh...thanks!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Here's pictures of the Britax Boulevard car seat in my 914:
http://www.icbm.org/cmgallery/thumbnails.p...m=78&page=1

BTW, I need a caption for this picture...anyone want to help me out (keep it PG-rated)?
IPB Image

The shadow on the left is my buddy who just rode up on his bike (background) right when we arrived home.
TROJANMAN
"When am I going to get to ride in a REAL Porsche?" laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
If you look at the fingers of the youngin you will see they are still holding on for dear life.
She has that look on her face like
Dang Dad do you think you missed the apex a bit in that last corner?
Air_Cooled_Nut
av-943.gif
I'm laugh.gif but my g/f is like blink.gif

We're up early because Ronin is up early and he was letting the whole neighborhood in on that fact... dry.gif
ejm
BTW, I need a caption for this picture.....The shadow on the left is my buddy who just rode up on his bike (background) right when we arrived home.

"Daddy, why is that man wearing an earring?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.