Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you know if a pressure plate is still good?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
Here is the pic of my pressure plate, it has alot of spotting but it seemed to work fine in the car and its not blue.

I am putting in a new clutch (also machining flywheel), should I replaced the pressure plate at a hefty $160? It seems like it may be a waste of money.
Cap'n Krusty
You're not "putting in a new clutch", you're trying to get by with just a disc. Even if the fingers haven't developed a groove in them (and they probably have), and we can't see that in the picture, this pressure plate is junk. Heat spots, cracks, and checking. Toss it. The Cap'n
Justinp71
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 28 2007, 07:05 PM) *

You're not "putting in a new clutch", you're trying to get by with just a disc. Even if the fingers haven't developed a groove in them (and they probably have), and we can't see that in the picture, this pressure plate is junk. Heat spots, cracks, and checking. Toss it. The Cap'n

Thanks, Cap'n.

The fingers do have a groove in them. Well atleast now when I get a new one, I know that I needed it.
LowGT
That surface looks horrible. I'd junk it.

Martin Baker
DAMN Justin...you said it didn't look that bad. Spend that hard earned cash!

Martin
Joe Ricard
Also check the run out on the flywheel
no sense putting new stuff in it if it's not making full contact.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 28 2007, 07:19 PM) *

Also check the run out on the flywheel
no sense putting new stuff in it if it's not making full contact.

Yea... I'm going to have the flywheel machined and definitely buy a new pressure plate
John
If you have the flywheel machined, be damn sure that it gets balanced as well, or you will be pulling it back out. (I had that happen once)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.