Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got potentially concours parts for free?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
I'll probably arouse the wrath of the admins for this.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having parts I can't, or won't use, laying about. Some of them are new. Some of them are grungy. Some of them could be considered junk.

But someone just may need them to keep a 914 alive, and may not care about the condition.

What I'm suggesting is a place to rid yourself of parts you don't need/want, but other originalists may need/want - for free! That's right - you get nothing out of it but a smile, knowing you saved a 914, or helped a buddy.

Yeah, I know, lots of you make a few bucks from trying to sell these things. I'm all for free enterprise. But, now & then we come up with things we've squirelled away, kept hanging around for 10 years, & now find them in the way.

So....whaddayathink. Is there a place for freebie parts here, to keep the lineage clean?

Of course, shipping charges should be paid by the reciever. It's like a garage sale, for almost free.

Just my thoughts. This IS a democracy. Negative feedback, as well as positive appreciated (well, accepted). Could become a nailed post, if feedback positive.

I do expect to get grief from this, from many of you, as well as the admins. Just thought maybe we could rid ourselves of some things we don't want & help out other 914 people. No, I'm not a blue-state person (though I live in one) & that has NOTHING to do with this.

Responses - please.

Pat

ClayPerrine
Pat,
I for one am all for this. But it should be put in the classifieds. If you want to moderate it for us, I will be happy to setup a "Freebee" forum in the classifieds.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 28 2007, 10:20 PM) *

Pat,
I for one am all for this. But it should be put in the classifieds. If you want to moderate it for us, I will be happy to setup a "Freebee" forum in the classifieds.

Clay,

That's what I was hoping for, as an initial response. There are lots of startup 914 guys who need any part they can get - four or six.

Happy to moderate. But.......I am concerned about those who would hope to prosper from this. Guess that'll be my job to weed them out.

Yeah, let's do it.
Pat
Garland
Call it "Free-cycle 914 " In our town we have a web site where everything is FREE just need to pick it up. In the club it should be shipping only as a cost.
I have parts I would list just to get them to a usefull home.
Ferg
I think you are better off checking for WTB postings and then sending that person a email... It's more work on your end, but if you post up cherry parts for NADA they are bound to end up in another 914 owners hands, but not always the one that "really" needed it.

Ferg.
Rusty
No admin wrath from me. grouphug.gif

Anyone can post free items in the classifieds... just begin your post with "FREE". I've both given away parts and been the grateful recipient of free parts. it's nice when the world can work like that.
Johny Blackstain
I think this is a great idea but is full of bugs/kinks. Where will the parts be stored? Who will pay to ship the parts, initially, to storage? Should this be a "virtual" free warehouse instead? Who will be eligible to receive the parts... "Teener-world" members only? Blame my Dad gentlemen, he was an economist by profession & knew what he was doing- case in point my LE. It is a great idea, concours free parts warehouse, but I’ve been taught from the old man to look for flies in the ointment from the outset. There is no reason why this should not work, but it’s not as easy as it sounds. My .02.

cool_shades.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Mar 29 2007, 03:40 AM) *

No admin wrath from me. grouphug.gif

Anyone can post free items in the classifieds... just begin your post with "FREE". I've both given away parts and been the grateful recipient of free parts. it's nice when the world can work like that.

agree.gif It is nice to both give and get.
SGB
I like the idea, but prolly better to just note "FREE" in a classified ad. I too have donated, bartered, etc. Past posting on the board show me that if a person is need and asks for help, we jump right on it. If someone doesn't want to ask, the need can't be that compelling. I take my spares to gatherings- I found good homes for extra cone screws and aluminum trim at the SEC last year. Hopefully those parts are now happily in use- and I get new space in the garage to fill with other parts!
Pat Garvey
Yeah, you know what - why re-invent the wheel?

Just post the as "free plus shipping", or if you're really lucky "free for trade". Yeah, that way I can collect more crap I won't use! My wife is going to kill me if I get any more "stuff" - if she finds out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.