Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help from engine builders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
94teener2
I'm having some major clearance issues with my rebuild. 1.7L, rebuild heads with surfaces touched up, new cam and lifter (webcam).

Here's the deal, when I put the push rods and rockers in place and try to tighten the nuts to hold the rockers (#1 @ TDC) in place everything goes hard on cyl 1. All squish taken from hydraulic lifters and if I keep going the valves will open. Adjusters are backed off all the way. Rods are in the cups and not hung up on lifter edge.

The head recess that mates to the cyl is about 0.230"

push rods are approx 30 cm (10.625")

What am I missing? Or What should I do to fix it. Shorter push rods?

Thanks
Jake Raby
Sounds like you have solid lifter pushrods... Are they steel or aluminum???

94teener2
They're aluminum. I followed your video ; ) The only wild card maybe the set of high compression pistons and cyls that I got off of this site. Compared the cyls to the ones that came off and everything seemed to add up.
Jake Raby
They are wrong... The hydraulic pushrods are steel and they are shorter than the solid pushrods- hence your issue...

I have the pushrods you need for 40.00/set used but in good condition.

WHY did you go hydro??
94teener2
Thanks for the diagnosis. Didn't really think about it. Just asked webcam for a set and this is what I got. Hydraulic is stock yes? Need to keep motor stock for the class that I run in.

Hammy
Hydraulic is not stock......
Jake Raby
Web Cam doesn't build or develop engines- they don't know the differences in pushrods- they are only a manufacturer of many different cams for different engines....

Hydro is NOT stock. Download and listen to our 4th dimension Radio podcast available through I tunes at www.aircooledtechnology.com/radio
we had a show last month dedicated to solid Vs. Hydro and its a must hear 2 hour special.

Web grinds my cams and they do a great job, but they are far from the optimum people to assist with engine configuration- its not their job.
94teener2
AHHH Maaan, now the delema, lifters or rods?
Jake Raby
Its no dilemma. Keep the pushrods that you have, sell the Hydro cam and lifters on Ebay and then buy a correct solid lift cam and matching lifters.

This keeps the engine project from starting with a compromise.
Joe Ricard
Word
What Jake said. If you never breath a word to anyone about your cam being from WEB you can run stock. IF YOU EVER say not factory part you get drop kicked to a mod class.

I know............
type47
i see a remotely possible reason for your conundrum.

when you install the rockers, the cylinder that you are installing the rockers on must be at TDC, that is, both valves must be closed. if the lifter is on a lobe of the camshaft, then the valve would supposed to be open and hence your lack of clearance to bolt the rocker on.

just my thought when i read your post, may not even be the problem/solution.
94teener2
First of all, thanks for the replies, this is a great web site.

So back at it. The cams are different for solid and hydraulic lifters???

I need to replace both cam and lifters? What a pisser
Cap'n Krusty
"F U N D A M E N T A L S". You need to learn a little more about your project before you begin. Read. Ask. Look to sources who know what they're talking about. BTW, the T4 in 914 configuration never had hydraulic lifters. If you're running D-jet, it'll run like crap with any WebCam other than a stock regrind, and it will NEVER pass an emissions test (I know, you don't have to do that). The HCs will be off the scale. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.