Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch release fork free play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiddleGACruiser
I've just installed a new clutch and the fork has .525 inch free play. I've read it should have about a half inch but not over that and if it does I should shim the ball behind the fork. Is .525 too much and should I shim the ball?
Cap'n Krusty
.525" is pretty damn close to .500". However, the rule is if you cut the flywheel, you shim the pivot ball. Use a nice flat washer, like one of the ones on the diff cover studs. Thje Cap'n
LowGT
If you put a one washer shim in there you won't be anywhere close to .5in anymore. One shim changes it quite a bit. I'd be very happy with the number you have now.
spunone
Just wondering how do you measure the free play?
MiddleGACruiser
QUOTE(spunone @ Mar 30 2007, 10:03 AM) *

Just wondering how do you measure the free play?

I took the measurement with the transmission out of the car. You can do it in the car with the cable disconnected.
Push the fork forward as far as it goes. I use a plunge micrometer, place it on the fork where the cable connects, set the plunger about 1 inch out then zero the mic. I push the fork to the rear and measure the distance it travels.
spunone
Great Thanks gonna check mine this weekend before install
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.