Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wot.. again: used subaru
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
ok I need a new car my daily is taking a dump .... I have pretty much come down to a subaru .. seems to be what I want but looking for cheap-ish but still good and reliable ... so with that said are there years / models to avoid and how many miles on a subaru is too many ?
VaccaRabite
What model are you looking for?

Zach
sk8kat1
outback wagon or forester -- base models or just above .. NA engines --- unless there are better ones someone suggests
brer
beware of pre 2000 subaru 4 cam 2.5L engines.
the head gaskets are timebombs, which is why they are so cheap.

Go for a 2002 or newer 2.5L twin cam.
tdgray
All the above and I would stay away from WRX's.

Kids buy 'em and beat the Sh&t out of them.

I have a Outback sport (think imprezza wagon).

It is nice but I would like a little more room. I'll be buying the bigger outback next time.

JPB
I'd get a WRX so if something happened, you can always take the engine out and put it your 914 thumb3d.gif
sk8kat1
QUOTE(JPB @ Mar 30 2007, 05:45 PM) *

I'd get a WRX so if something happened, you can always take the engine out and put it your 914 thumb3d.gif

nice... biggrin.gif
sww914
The 2.0 engines are pretty bulletproof. The mechanic that I know at the local dealership says if you don't abuse them, the only repairs they ever need is an oil pump seal and spark plugs every 100,000 miles, and timing belts every 60K-80K .
I've put 80K on my WRX with only 1 problem, 2 radiators failed within the first 20K.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.