Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FB914
WTF.gif This winter I have......
  • Replaced rear bearings - that was fun, I got to use an arc welder for the first time after buying an air hammer for my compressor that couldn't get the job done. Took me a month to get them out of the trailing arms.
  • replaced rear rotors with Zimmermans (drilled)
  • Replaced starter because I thought it was shot - turned out to be an ignition switch (which I replaced).
  • Removed Hot start relay that was causing problems with the new starter and that I couldn't figure out what the hell it was for
  • replaced dash lights with LED's - nice improvement
    • added stainless surround for console gauges and shifter
  • replaced shift linkage bushings after losing 1st and reverse on test drive with new bearings
I am trying to install new front rotors and the new bearings I bought (SKF's) are the wrong size. Any ideas where to get good bearings so I can get my car on the road? It hit 70 this week in philly, the salt is off the roads and I'm sick of jack stands. Most of the above projects were completed because of help from the kind folks on this site - Thank you again!

Please help....

Frank B
So.Cal.914
I would say that PP would have them.
ws91420
FLAPS or a local bug shop should have them. Timken Set 8 and Set 1 and wheel seal is 1195 Timken #s
FB914
PP has the SKF's. Unless I got the wrong thing shipped to me the 1st time - which is possible since I bought on ebay - I'd rather get OEM if I can find it. I don't think SKF is OEM - they're made in Mexico
Eric_Shea
I don't think you're going to have fun trying to source various FAG bearings. You may want to call George or Rich Bontempi. Last time I saw Rich's shop there were a few bins that he had an assortment of bearings in. You could ask him to hand pick something for you.

Frankly, I think it's an exercise in futility. SKF's are fine.

Any decent shop can get you bearings... I lost a front wheel bearing at Laguna Seca and the local NAPA delivered them to me. All "very" common sizes.
roadster fan
FWIW, the last FAG bearings I saw were made in Canada blink.gif
914nerd
GPR has sets (both bearings and seals) for not too much
If I remember correctly, they are Timken or FAG bearings
Give Dave at GPR a call
Spoke
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Mar 31 2007, 01:35 AM) *

FLAPS or a local bug shop should have them. Timken Set 8 and Set 1 and wheel seal is 1195 Timken #s

agree.gif

I went to NAPA. They were a couple of bucks more than PP but I had them within a few hours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.