Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Full CV Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Well, I fixed my blowed up CV today. WHAT A PITA JOB! I feel like I took a grease bath. barf.gif

Thanks to Andy for helping me disassemble, clean and put new joints on my spare axles.

After he left, I spent the next 5 hours fighting everything. rolleyes.gif But now all I have to do in the morning is torque the bolts and I'm back!

I also fixed my sticky brake caliper. The e-brake arm was sticking, so a little penetrating oil got it working again. Andy and I pushed my car across the parking lot, with the ebrake stuck on. pinch.gif
Gint
I *HATE* doing CV joints. Messiest job on a 914.
JPB
Did ya get doctor evil's bolts? Not a bad idea on new parts which should last a while or until the bolts work free and then bling blang srack squeeeeeeeeeeeel!
Eric_Shea
The e-brake arm was sticking, so a little penetrating oil got it working again.

That will ruin that seal (the one directly underneath the handbrake arm). The penetrating oil will swell the seal. Usually the reason the seals stick is because there's some rust in there.
McMark
Thanks for the heads up Eric. I'll keep an eye on it. They're due for a rebuild anyway.
Eric_Shea
It's actually fairly common. A lot of people use a penetrating oil on an old caliper to help loosen things up. It works... for a while. I can't say I wouldn't do the exact same thing. It simply makes sense, except, there is that rubber seal in there. biggrin.gif

Here's some photographic evidence. People even do it on "new" calipers as preventive maintence "Hey, I'll just spray some WD-40 in there to make sure it's lubed up." This is a caliper that came in for warranty work with that problem. wink.gif

Not good.
914werke

Mark did you find that the spines above the circlip were rounded?
I agree what a messy bitch! headbang.gif

QUOTE(JPB @ Mar 31 2007, 08:16 AM) *

Did ya get doctor evil's bolts? Not a bad idea on new parts which should last a while or until the bolts work free and then bling blang srack squeeeeeeeeeeeel!

You know in more than ten cars owned Ive never encountered that problem, just make sure good schorer (sp) washers are under them and your good!
Dr. Roger
Mark,
I have a set of Dr. Evil's CV bolts if you would like them. He does nice work.

Sell 'em to you for what I got em for. =-) You know I went 911 and can't use them.
McMark
I've got two sets on the shelf. wink.gif Thanks Roger. I just used the stock bolts. Dr. Evil's bolts are great peace of mind, but not mandatory, IMHO. New bolts and new washers keep 'em in line. When you start reusing bolts and washers is when you get a problem. Oh, and fresh gaskets are a must as well.

I'm done now, and it's back on the road. I also swapped in the 19 mm sway bar while the car was in the shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.