Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to work on the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
Well, I decided to either fix this thing or sell it... and I ain't sellin'! (sorry R towle)

Yup, I'm a slow learner and probably have no business working on a car but I'm doing it anyway. After a little while and no cursing (not like me), I got the first part of the repair underway. Now I just hope Eric Sea still fixes these assemblies.

djm914-6
Oh yeah...
If anyone local knows about tuning carbs, valve adjustments and tune ups wan't to lend a hand with this, I'd be extreemly greatful and will be more than happy to supply drinks and lunch.
r_towle
I still want dibs.

I can help you rebuild that thing for free.
Just order the rebuild kit, have a vice handy, some black paint and about two hours...

Rich
djm914-6
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 31 2007, 11:13 PM) *

I still want dibs.

I can help you rebuild that thing for free.
Just order the rebuild kit, have a vice handy, some black paint and about two hours...

Rich

Don't have a vice (well actually I have many but not the kind I think you are refering too) and what about this broken piece?

Any help would be tremendiously appreciated!!!

Eric reccomended Bruce Stone to rebuild these things, who's that?

djm914-6
Any clue why this broke?
Sparky
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Apr 1 2007, 04:13 PM) *

Any clue why this broke?

Big feet? poke.gif
ClayPerrine
That broken piece is the throttle bell crank. And this is a six version, which is quite rare. It has the paddle sticking out that the hand throttle rod pushes against.

Get someone who can TIG weld to put it back together for you.

project-914
I'm doing my pedal cluster assembly too...it's not too hard, I'd do it yourself...and order the brass bushings kit
rjames
QUOTE(project-914 @ Apr 1 2007, 09:23 PM) *

I'm doing my pedal cluster assembly too...it's not too hard, I'd do it yourself...and order the brass bushings kit

agree.gif

I did mine too. However, I did wreck my workbench vice trying to push the roll pin out. Finally had to give it to a buddy that works at a machine shop to finish the job for me. Otherwise it was a piece of cake.
djm914-6
I'm not araid to rebuild with new bushing and such, but I just don't see how this tab can be welded back together. It broke right at the attachment point (hole).
r_towle
Dave,

If it was once a piece of steel with a hold drilled in it, it can once again be a piece of steel with a hole drilled in it.

first you take off all the pieces, bring it to a local welder, or local motorcycle/harley guy.
They will weld it up with a TIG to get it back together again. (50 bucks maybe)
then you (cause I know your cheap) grind off the mess with a dremel, and ream the hole out with a different bit on your dremel.
If you want (I know you will) you can polish it back up again to completely hide the weld, and get it plated. (there are home plating kits as well, you should learn how..its cheap)

A weld, properly done is stronger than the surrounding metal based upon the new molecular structure of the weld...so it will be fine, and should not break in the same spot again.

It may have broken due to metal fatigue, or one forced push/pull on the hand throttle.

Rich
Gint
Hiya Dave!

wavey.gif
djm914-6
Hiya Mike!

Rich, is this something you and do (for a fee of course)?
r_towle
I can mig weld it.
If you are looking for TIG, there are several local guys in your area...woburn for sure that can do this in 15 minutes while you wait.
The drilling/reaming, you can do at your liesure.

The rebuild of the pedal cluster is fairly simple to do once you remove the pin. Its just pull it apart, clean, paint/powdercoat, clean, grease reassemble.

Rich
djm914-6
There's a Harley shop or two up in Billerica. I'll check with them to see if someone can TIG there.

What's the difference between TIG and MIG?
Dave_Darling
Rebuilding the cluster is easy once the roll pin is out and you get the clutch lever off the cross-shaft! Sometimes that sucker is rusted on rather badly... sad.gif

Take pics, in particular of how the springs hook up and how the brake light switch is mounted. That will make things less confusing when you put it back together again.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.