Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pre-oil change additives
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
It's near time for an oil change on my car and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with adding anything to the oil shortly before an oil change. I'm a little late on my oil change and I've got some ticky lifters (hydraulic). So I'm wondering if there's anything I can add it to help clean things out in there and clean out those lifters.
I'm talking like Marvel mystery oil, Auto tranny fluid, Seafoam. . .

Anyone have any experience? I guess it couldn't hurt any, I don't think. I'm particularly interested in Seafoam... I searched a couple forums and a lot of people seem to like it. They also use it as a gas additive and directly into the intake to clean up the combustion chamber (smoky).

Any help? Thanks.....
bd1308
Seafoam works well, Marvel works good too (sometimes regular additives in my daily driver)

I've heard of people draining thier crankcase and running diesel AT IDLE for five minutes and draining (at idle, no revving)

Theres this one guy who ran veggie oil in his engine, blew it up by revving it

Hammy
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Mar 31 2007, 09:11 PM) *

Seafoam works well, Marvel works good too (sometimes regular additives in my daily driver)

I've heard of people draining thier crankcase and running diesel AT IDLE for five minutes and draining (at idle, no revving)

Theres this one guy who ran veggie oil in his engine, blew it up by revving it

Veggie oil.... nice one.

So have you used Seafoam ?
bd1308
Yes.

It works ok, kinda sorta quiets things down.

Doesnt taste too well....
cnavarro
CD-2 (I think) makes an oil MAXX detergent supplement, in a yellow bottle. Basically, lots of detergent. I would add that to further help pull stuff into suspension. If the oil is really dirty, you could always just run 500 or so miles after the oil change and change it again, along with the filter, to help clean things out. Power Service made a diesel oil extender, but it has been discontinued from what I can tell and that stuff used to work wonders to clean an engine out which adding tons of Zn and P.

For fuel system cleaner, I use Redline's SI-1 at every oil change, regardless of which car it is.
bd1308
that CD-2 stuff is neat, quieted down the lifters in my Jeep (when I had it)
Hammy
Thanks for the info.....

I bought and tried the Seafoam stuff today. Tried some in the intake of the carbs and let the huge smokescreen burn off.
Went for a drive and it does seem to idle a bit smoother. Also seems more willing to rev up. Nothing substantial, but there is a slight improvement. So overall running a bit smoother. Also put some in the crankcase and in the tank. Definitely not snake oil in my book..... Oil and filter change tomorrow. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.