Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinion: Leather 914 Seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
addwestern
We did a set of leather 914 seats as prototypes, just to see how they'd come out. I'm pretty happy with them.

Gonna put these in my car- it's all about marketing... We'll probably start doing these custom soon. I've got about 10 different patterns and 20 colors we can pick from on the leather. They're pretty comfortable. I went with the light centers to blend in with my car and to avoid waffle marks on my rear during the hot California summers.

Click to view attachment

stepuptotheMike
Looks pretty sweet. Need more pictures. What about perforated leather on the cushion portions? Cost estimate?

Mike
JPB
Wow! Your not thinking of sitting on them works of art now are ya? beer.gif
addwestern
The snakeskin is a little gawdier than what I'd normally pick- but I wanted them to have some pop- and for people to notice them. My 914 is going to go back to go back to original silver.

I'm thinking of doing a restoration thread as it will be eventually set with 911 style sliverknit carpets and the leather accented interior.

Here are some closer pics: eventually going to do the door panels and back pad as well. We will be able to do perforated leather- as well as some cool basket weave and carbon fiber look leathers. The leather is of good quality- and not paper thin. We'll do some vinyl ones as well or a vinyl/cloth combo.

Cost estimates will be about $ 875 for solid leather seats, about $950-$975 for the two tones. I thought a nice baseball mitt brown would look awesome in a Zambezi Green car.

Just something to keep with the period of the car, but add a few more creature comforts. Incidentally, got a set of perfect cloth/vinyl seats for sale if anyone needs 'em!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
addwestern
Revised cost estimate- these are without cores- if you can supply cores back to me (complete with lower cushions) $100 will be knocked off.
914werke
so $775 per seat in solid leather + shipping (both ways)?
914-8
They look good for a DIY job, but since you asked for opinions - if you are going to try to get professional-dollar amounts, you need to straighten out the stitching and tighten them up a bit.
JPB
Is this leather or real 100% modern nowgahide leatherette? biggrin.gif
addwestern
Real 100% leather- cost would be $775 + shipping both ways using my corporate account.

These were actually professionally done, but as described- they were prototypes. Future sets will be even better. We're going to build them out just a little more to get it a little tighter.
LowGT
QUOTE(914-8 @ Apr 1 2007, 01:01 PM) *

you need to straighten out the stitching and tighten them up a bit.

I agree about the stitching, I noticed that due to the contrasting color. The fit looked pretty good to me, real leather will tighten up once exposed to moisture and the sun. You don't want a really tight fit initially or you could start pulling seams out when the leather shrinks a bit.
addwestern
Yes- I did see that as well- we've gone over some of the feedback and I am taking these comments direct back to the shop. It actually doesn't look as bad in person- my camera angle was a little off- but that's why you post these- to get scrutiny of others before you start them for customers.

I appreciate it!
anthony
My new $500 sport seats with nice bolsters and perforated leather centers:
addwestern
QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 1 2007, 05:54 PM) *

Those are pretty nice- is that just for the one that is pictured?
anthony
That is for a pair. The going rate is $500-600/pair. The downside is that you have to make your own bracket and you can't use the backpad.
FB914
QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 1 2007, 04:54 PM) *

Those are very nice. I like the leather sport seats in the thread too but $200 cheaper is tempting. How hard is the bracket to make?
addwestern
Very cool- I am a fan of the back pad- I guess I'm kinda original that way. I wanted to make the original seats so that you could have the interior pretty close to stock, but a few little twists.

Thanks for sharing though. They do look nice in the car.
anthony
It's definitely not stock. I'm doing a GT style backpad and the install is completely reversible.

That blue 916 with the tan/orange full leather interior is one of my all-time favorite Porsches. I think there is also a market for leather covered GT style dashes.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 1 2007, 07:54 PM) *

Those are Honda S2000 seats. I've wondered myself how they would fit in a 914. I figured they would set a little higher than stock. Does this seem to be a problem?

Bob
Tobra
Nice, and I could work out shipping easily biggrin.gif

I like the perforated leather, or even a houndstooth black and white. How much with cloth inserts on middle part?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Porsche cloth inserts (like they installed in the 916 and some late 80's 911s and 944s would be a nice option.

I agree on the stitching. has to be straighter.
addwestern
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 2 2007, 08:47 AM) *

Porsche cloth inserts (like they installed in the 916 and some late 80's 911s and 944s would be a nice option.

George-

That cloth can still be sourced, correct?

Nate
dflesburg
Hit those sweat shop workers harder.... then you can lower prices everyday and have better quality... Thats the Walmart way!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes. We purchase it directly from the manufacturer in Germany. The material is really nice.
anthony
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 2 2007, 05:05 AM) *

Those are Honda S2000 seats. I've wondered myself how they would fit in a 914. I figured they would set a little higher than stock. Does this seem to be a problem?

Bob

It's not a problem because they are only about 2.5 inches thick at the back of the bottom cushion. This was my initial concern because when I have sat in a 914 with 911 seats and they removed too much headroom from the car.
Gint
QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 1 2007, 06:21 PM) *

That is for a pair. The going rate is $500-600/pair. The downside is that you have to make your own bracket and you can't use the backpad.
Where are you sourcing those from? Looks great! Fits too eh?
anthony
Craigslist or ebay but with ebay shipping would be expensive so probably not worth it.
addwestern
Update- I am going to sell these seats at a special prototype price. I am going to try and do another set up just to get a couple sets of the seats out there. If interested, PM me. I will want your feedback a couple times during use.

I may be putting these on the Classifieds soon as well if no one here is interested.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 2 2007, 07:47 AM) *

George, are you talking about the fabric that had the Porsche script thoughout? That would be really cool. What colors are still available?

Back in the '80s, my mom took a picture of a Carrera in Germany that had what can best be described as a swirled checker flag pattern on the seat inserts. I am certain that it was factory, but I have never seen it in a car over here. Very cool as well.

I am still looking for the blue/black/white plaid that blessed my '75 when it was new. You can find plaid all over the place, but I don't know where to buy the stuff that would hold up on the seat of a car.

BKS
addwestern
Up for sale in the Classifieds.

Incidentally, I have talked with the guys and we've sorted out all the kinks. The next set will be much better and we're trying a black with charcoal silver carbon fiber stamped leather in the centers.

Look for a preview soon!
addwestern
Here's the swatches...

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(addwestern @ Apr 1 2007, 11:17 AM) *

The snakeskin is a little gawdier than what I'd normally pick- but I wanted them to have some pop- and for people to notice them. My 914 is going to go back to go back to original silver.

I'm thinking of doing a restoration thread as it will be eventually set with 911 style sliverknit carpets and the leather accented interior.

Here are some closer pics: eventually going to do the door panels and back pad as well. We will be able to do perforated leather- as well as some cool basket weave and carbon fiber look leathers. The leather is of good quality- and not paper thin. We'll do some vinyl ones as well or a vinyl/cloth combo.

Cost estimates will be about $ 875 for solid leather seats, about $950-$975 for the two tones. I thought a nice baseball mitt brown would look awesome in a Zambezi Green car.

Just something to keep with the period of the car, but add a few more creature comforts. Incidentally, got a set of perfect cloth/vinyl seats for sale if anyone needs 'em!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

OK, here's where I become "the hated one".

Webster defines the term "restore" as "to bring back to a former or normal condition..."

While I agree that these seats have potential for "coolness", "restore" is not appropriate. Number one - any one out there in ths forum-land with a factory leather seat option (six only)? Number two - couldn't get leather on a four - period!
Number three - snakeskin "leather" wasn't an option on ANY 914 that i've ever heard of. Yes, I know that the term "leather" can be applied to any tanned hide.

Let's take this for what it is - a potentially really nice aftermarket option. That's all. Nice craftsmanship, but NOT a restoration. Oh, wait a minute, aren't there all kinds of "restored" 914's out there with GT fenders? Guess I must have misread something somewhere.

Told you you'd hate me!

"bring back to former or normal condition"
orthobiz
OK Pat, here goes:
Dictionary.com

restore:
return to its original OR usable and functioning condition

Like, the seats were not usable and did not function but NOW THEY DO because they've been restored

OR

restore:
to bring back into existence or use; reestablish

Like, the seats were SO BAD that they were actually brought BACK into existence by the restoration

OR

restore:
to repair (a building, a painting, a piece of furniture etc) so that it looks as it used to or ought to

Like, maybe the factory OUGHT TO have offered leather seats for everyone!

So, addwestern,
Restore Away! You certainly have my support (philosophical support, not monetary).

So Pat, do you hate me? lol

Paul
iamchappy
I had my seats, backpad, center console, doors, door pockets, dash and dash top redone done in leather. I like it just fine...
addwestern
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Apr 14 2007, 08:49 PM) *

OK Pat, here goes:
Dictionary.com

restore:
return to its original OR usable and functioning condition

Like, the seats were not usable and did not function but NOW THEY DO because they've been restored

OR

restore:
to bring back into existence or use; reestablish

Like, the seats were SO BAD that they were actually brought BACK into existence by the restoration

OR

restore:
to repair (a building, a painting, a piece of furniture etc) so that it looks as it used to or ought to

Like, maybe the factory OUGHT TO have offered leather seats for everyone!

So, addwestern,
Restore Away! You certainly have my support (philosophical support, not monetary).

So Pat, do you hate me? lol

Paul

Paul-

Thanks for having my back!!! thumb3d.gif Pat- I think Paul's definition might work as they started out like this. I may be able to dig up a couple more of these bad boys if you prefer this look better... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Rick_Eberle
When I lived in Hollywood, I would SOOOO have gone for snakeskin!!!

But I'm much calmer now...
EdwardBlume
I had my seats, backpad, center console, doors, door pockets, dash and dash top redone done in leather. I like it just fine...

--------------------

1973 914 turbo 3.1

How well has it held up and for how long? What climate?
iamchappy
I dont see why it wouldn't hold up as good as any other leather interior.
And it only cost me 750.00.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=64655

My car is not an everyday driver. Always garaged and is completely apart.

The leather interior pieces could last forever if I never remove them from there protective bags.
Tobra
Okay, not the cloth for the seat pad I am thinking of
Sam Charters
I like them. Here is something you may want to look into. If you make the outside back (the piece that faces the firewall) out of a vinyl material, it will make installation easer and with the use of a steamer it will make a tight fit and good looking product. Every thing the body touches will still be leather. This is a commonly done with leather seats to achieve a better looking product. Just a little hint.
addwestern
Thanks Sam- right now, these are full recovers- but soon we may be doing the recovers and will take that into consideration.

Nate
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmenthave you thought about adding in a little bolstering down around the seat bottom ?
Maybe a good option for the weekend racer, really holds you in the twisties smile.gif These were done by a local L.A. guy @ a decent price.
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.