Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for WRX forums
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
I am looking for some forums like ours for the Subaru WRX. Someone here has to be a WRX fan (even if they are trying to keep it a secret wink.gif )

I have been thinking about getting a Subaru for a while and I want to get some dirt on these cars... what people don't like, what breaks first, etc.

Right now I have my eye on a 2004 WRX Wagon. I test drove one this weekend - not bad. Keep in mind that I don't usually like "new" cars - so it's a big step for me to even be remotely interested in buying something that is being sold today. I like the wagon. It doesn't look bad, for a wagon, and it can actually carry stuff (my biggest complaint about the car I drive now).

Oh yeah, insurance for these cars SUCKS. My rates would double. ($2k a year... Is it just me or is that a lot of money??? I'm 25, no accident history, no tickets... perfect record.)
JmuRiz
I used to go to http://www.i-club.com/ when I was entertaining the idea of a WRX. I'm sure there are more links from there if you need more.
mightyohm
Thanks Nathan. I will check that one out.

Are there any board members who own WRXs and have any experiences they'd like to share? (bump)
cha914
Here is another one to check out:

http://www.nasioc.com/

Tony
fiid
I have a not-WRX (2.5RS - they weren't going to bring out the WRX in North America). I plan to put a WRX engine in to it when I am done with my 914

Fiid.
vortrex
check out www.wrxfanatics.com, it's a huge bbs.

that new sti is hot, too bad it is SO ugly. got to love it though, I believe it's even quicker than a new 996?
Lugnut
I recently sold my '02 WRX wagon. (start sad violin music now, please)
I REALLY didn't want to, but the software market is simply not what it was a year ago and it just didn't make financial sense to keep it. It was about $1500 a year for insurance (more than BOTH 928s and the 914 combined).
I miss it terribly. I don't usually sell a car before I'm actually done with it.
The WRX is a great car. The awd is fabulous. You can really thrash the car about in any kind of weather. You can still get it to come out of line to play if you want, but you have to do it on purpose.
Stock, it was pretty quick. Subaru quotes 5.7 sec 0-60 and you can run 13s right off the showroom floor, if drag racing is your cup of tea. Autocrossing it was a delight, too. In stock form it really loved to drift and the fastest way through a slalom wasn't really steering it and gripping it through, but instead kind of throwing it side-to-side sliding through the cones. It was a very different sort of autocrossing experience compared to the Porsches, Miatas, and BMWs I'm used to.
It was pretty comfy and we took a 900mi or so road trip in it. It was great. The stock clutch is light and positive and very easy to creep along in rush hour traffic. The steering, on the other hand, was not quite as direct as I am used to and the wheel itself is rather large. This made me feel like I really had to WORK the wheel to go fast.
In the great twisty little farm roads near my house, it was a hoot to drive because the farm debris and gravel on the road doesn't get the car out of line at all! It's really fun to speed down windy gravel roads in it, too!
There is a tremendous aftermarket for this car and it will go as fast as your wallet is deep. The stock brakes suck, though, and so do the stock RE92 tires.
I give it six thumbs up.
My divorce is over, the alimony is done, and the market is recovering, so another WRX is probably in sight somewhere in the near future. Maybe an STi this time (the 300hp super-Subaru)...
Mountain914
I have a 2002 WRX Sedan - one of the rare Blaze Yellow's (only 450 made).
I absolutely love the AWD, and wouldn't live where I do without it (I have a truck for the deep snow).
The car is solid and fast, and all at 2/3rds the cost of any Audi. 'Nuff said.

Here is a forum that's OK -

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/

Most WRX (like GTI and EVO) forums turn into a Mine is Bigger Than Yours debate, but there are some good posters and good information to be found.
If you're complaining about insurance, don't even look at the STI.
I also recommend a manual, not an automatic.
Good luck on your hunt !
If you want to buy mine (I do want an STI) then drop me a line !
My WRX
LS6/914
I have done extensive fuel management & turbocharger upgrades to the WRX. I would recomend checking out TURBOXS.com They are a Australian rally experienced company. I greatly enjoy humilating Vettes & stangs in the rain.
mightyohm
Thanks for all the URLs and advice guys.

Blaze (and Sonic) Yellow are cool, but I am thinking about a 2004 since I really like the look of the new front end (hope this doesn't start a fight).

I do wish they had more colors available.

Lugnut - thanks for the testimonial. Sti would be nice. Wish they offered the sti engine in the wagon... for under $25k. wink.gif

Has anyone heard of the B4? Sounds impressive. Legacy chassis with souped up 4 cyl engine, I read one report of a twin turbo. I think it might share some parts with the sti? The subaru site is in Japanese. Apparently they are already out in Japan and maybe Australia?
mightyohm
Ok, I have had a couple days to do some research, mostly on the i-club forums.

Why does everyone there have horror stories about the 5 speed transmissions???

That forum is full of posts by people who lost transmissions after only a few thousand miles... Some have been through 2 or 3 boxes. It seems like with the WRX you are almost guaranteed to have transmission problems within 40k miles - good luck getting the transmission to last the life of the car. Only the sti, with the 6 speed, is supposedly free from these problems.

This stuff has me spooked. Does anyone know if the problems are as bad as people make them out to be?
vortrex
I think you need to take it with a grain of salt in some ways. before I bought my GTi VR6 I heard all sorts of reports of nagging issues from the forums, nothing wrong at all with mine so far.

does anyone know if you can get the STI without the ricer rear wing? that's the only thing keeping me from thinking about getting one. I just can't see driving it and being 32 years old.
fiid
QUOTE(vortrex @ Dec 3 2003, 03:02 PM)
does anyone know if you can get the STI without the ricer rear wing? that's the only thing keeping me from thinking about getting one. I just can't see driving it and being 32 years old.

I contend that it's not ricer for the following reasons.

1. Downforce in that area might actually increase traction. Rice spoilers are supposed to be placed on the rear of front wheel drive cars to help lift the front end (where all the drive and steering is) off the ground.

2. It's stock. Ricer spoilers need to be aftermarket.

If you don't like it, you could pull it off and put something a little lower key on there. I'm sure any half capable dealer would help you with that. I'd just leave it on. It's got the beef to back up the looks. The thing has 300 hp.
vortrex
I realize it might do something in top speeds and hopefully subaru did testing to warrant it. it still LOOKS like rice galore when family sedan honda accords have people bolting on similar items. I don't mind the rear spoiler that the standard WRX has. that wing is simply huge though. it's unfortunate the STI reminds me more of a rice rocket than the street rally car it is.
mightyohm
It's pretty fast and furious.... boldblue.gif
vortrex
well found an STI forum where a lot of people are doing this change. the pics look much better in my opinion. some did it themselves (1hr job) and others made the dealer do the swap at purchase time. funny thing is, several of the complaining people were 32 also. wink.gif

also, reports of 145mph and no difference in stability.
Racer
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Dec 3 2003, 02:46 PM)
Why does everyone there have horror stories about the 5 speed transmissions???

That forum is full of posts by people who lost transmissions after only a few thousand miles...  Some have been through 2 or 3 boxes.  It seems like with the WRX you are almost guaranteed to have transmission problems within 40k miles - good luck getting the transmission to last the life of the car.  Only the sti, with the 6 speed, is supposedly free from these problems.

This stuff has me spooked.   Does anyone know if the problems are as bad as people make them out to be?

I am a happy owner of a 2004 WRX Wagon. I bought it in August and have over 7,000 miles already. The car has performed without flaw.

I, too, was worried about the transmission based on what I read on i-club and other boards. Then I realized that most (not all, but most) of those who did have problems were:
1) young drivers
2) likely "first time" stick shift drivers
3) watched "fast and furious" a few too many times
4) had boosted the car to like 800hp

Any combination of these will result in poor trans. life. Having learned to drive with a "tail-shifter" 914, one learns patience to get a shift correct and smooth.

While the WRX shifter can be described as "notchy", it is no worse than a 915 trans found in a 911. I have found similar notchiness in all awd/4wd cars I've ever driven so I chalk that up to a driveline limitation.

I love the Turbo whine during acceleration. The motor is VERY smooth in the upper rev range which encourages high rpm use rolleyes.gif

I also went the wagon approach for two reasons. One was the added utility of the hatch and roofrack for carrying "crap"; the other was the "Q-Ship" stealth quality. NOBODY notices this car when speeding on the highway. I appreciate that.

I also took the car to one track event at Watkins Glen. Despite brakes that were not great (hey, they aren't Brembo's you know(mmm STI), and the car is heavy), and the shitty RE92 tires, the car was fun. Initial understeer giving way to some throttle oversteer. Just keep your foot planted and let the awd send the power from "the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip"

Don't forget to haggle with the dealer (why do they still insist on haggling headbang.gif ) While I didn't get them under invoice, I was suprised that they let me have an 04 for only $200 over invoice... I guess the pile of 03's on the lot were a good bargaining tool. (and yes, I prefer the look of the 04 on MY car, but I appreciate the earlier bug eyes!)
mightyohm
Racer - Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I was about ready to throw the WRX off my list because of the tranny issues, but yeah, I figured... bunch of punks powershifting and bashing through the gears. Seems like the hot thing to do with a WRX is rev it to 5 grand and sidestep the clutch... Stuff breaks, DUH...

I have been looking at A4 Avants as a substitute... Used they can be pretty cheap. Not nearly as sporty looking though. More of a mommy wagon if you ask me.
siverson
Similiar cars to consider include the Audi allroad.

I've had my '01 2.7T 6-speed for about a year, and love it. New for '04 is the 4.2 V8, but only comes in Tiptronic. I was in line for one until I the 6-speed became unavailable.

Just FYI.

-Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.