Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the minimium diameter tubing required for an engine cradle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mid_Engine_914
Would 1.25" OD mild steel stubing with 0.120" wall thickness be suitable for building an engine cradle for this VR6/901 tranny combo? The motor itself weighs about 400 lbs.

IPB Image
sww914
6" oughta do it.
JPB
I'd go more like .250 cuz the mount probably won't be that long plus the ends need to be super fastened to your frame. That way it will never fail if your welds are good. The design has alot to do with it also. I would rather put a mount that cradels the trany and engine together than just a mount for the engine specially if it puts out some decent power. beer.gif
Mid_Engine_914
Bump. If I can use 1.25" OD mild steel tubing I can bend it myself with one of these but any larger and I need one of these.
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(Mid_Engine_914 @ Apr 2 2007, 02:31 PM) *

Bump. If I can use 1.25" OD mild steel tubing I can bend it myself with one of these but any larger and I need one of these.

I have the Harbor Freight version of that first bender and I don't think it's designed to bend tube, only bar stock. I could imagine making a gentle bend in square tube but I'm pretty sure it would not work on round.

andys
I built my engine cradle using 1 1/2" X .120" wall mild steel tubing. Engine is an LS1 at about 400lbs; the transaxle is a 6 speed at about 140 lbs. I've got a photo somewhere.........

A lot depends on the design you plan to incorporate.

Andys
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Apr 2 2007, 05:05 PM) *

I have the Harbor Freight version of that first bender and I don't think it's designed to bend tube, only bar stock. I could imagine making a gentle bend in square tube but I'm pretty sure it would not work on round.

I found that bender after watching Ron Covell use it to bend round, mild steel tubing with it in his "Working with Tubing" DVD.
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(andys @ Apr 2 2007, 08:56 PM) *

I built my engine cradle using 1 1/2" X .120" wall mild steel tubing. Engine is an LS1 at about 400lbs; the transaxle is a 6 speed at about 140 lbs. I've got a photo somewhere.........

Andys

I would love to see pictures of your cradle and hear more about your setup. Did you bend the tubing yourself? Are you using a GM tranny?
Crazyhippy
1.25 x .120 wall should be fine if designed decent and welded well...

DOM would be even better.

BJH
Mid_Engine_914
Thanks. That sounds like what I need.

Drawn Over Mandrel is a cold drawn electric resistance welded tube with all flash removed. Compared to structural pipe, DOM Round Tubing is produced to more exact OD and ID tolerances and better finishes without a seam. Ideally suited for a wide range of structural and bushing applications. Widely used in stressful applications requiring higher quality, uniformity, strength, and soundness.

APPLICATIONS - Farm implements, construction equipment, racecar frames, motorcycle frames, automotive parts, off-road accessories, etc
Crazyhippy
We use 1.50 x .120 wall for cage stuff in desert (baja 500 stuff) trucks.

If it will protect your noggin w/ a 5000 lb truck flipping through the desert, it should be able to hold up a 500lb motor trans combo.

BJH
Gary
I'll be watching your progress with keen interest!

I've been looking at the possibility of a VR6 mated to either an Audi 016 (FWD 5000, 100 models) or Boxster tranny (similar internals to the 016, different case). Should be a bolt-up - no adapter plate. Both give a substantial increase in torque ratings. The 016 is nice b/c they're cheap at the boneyards $200-300, but you have to fab a shifter - well documented on the GT40 and lambo replica sites. The Boxster trannys are more - $1000-1500, but are newer, "Porsche", and have the shifter engineered for you.

If in the course of your project you have the tranny seperated, can you post a picture of the VR6 from the flywheel end? I'd like to see the bolt pattern of the case.
andys
QUOTE(Gary @ Apr 3 2007, 12:23 AM) *

I've been looking at the possibility of a VR6 mated to either an Audi 016 (FWD 5000, 100 models) or Boxster tranny (similar internals to the 016, different case). Should be a bolt-up - no adapter plate. Both give a substantial increase in torque ratings. The 016 is nice b/c they're cheap at the boneyards $200-300, but you have to fab a shifter - well documented on the GT40 and lambo replica sites. The Boxster trannys are more - $1000-1500, but are newer, "Porsche", and have the shifter engineered for you.

If in the course of your project you have the tranny seperated, can you post a picture of the VR6 from the flywheel end? I'd like to see the bolt pattern of the case.

You don't need to pay Porsche prices for a Boxster trans. The 5 speed version is the same model 012 as is the late Audi/VW model 012 5 speed (not to be confused with the model 02J used on transverse applications). The prices start at about $300. Only advantage the Boxster trans has, is if it includes the shift linkage. It does a nice job of translating the movement.

Andys
andys
QUOTE(Mid_Engine_914 @ Apr 2 2007, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Apr 2 2007, 08:56 PM) *

Andys

I would love to see pictures of your cradle and hear more about your setup. Did you bend the tubing yourself? Are you using a GM tranny?

Here's one photo that may help. Sorry, focus is poor. There's a bolt-in crossmember that's not visible right behind the adapter plate. Motor mounts (hydro-elastic) are LS6 'Vette. I had a local hotrod shop make the two simple bends.

Andys
jd74914
What kind of transaxle is that Andys? Boxster or Audi?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 3 2007, 03:34 PM) *

and more pics please!
andys
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 3 2007, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 3 2007, 03:34 PM) *

and more pics please!

It's an Audi/Getrag 01E 6 speed. Never imported to North America (except for the Quattro version), ergo few exist stateside.

Andys
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(Mid_Engine_914 @ Apr 3 2007, 12:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Apr 2 2007, 05:05 PM) *

I found that bender after watching Ron Covell use it to bend round, mild steel tubing with it in his "Working with Tubing" DVD.

Interesting. Did he use some trick or just stick the tube in and bend it? I have never had much luck bending any kind of tube with a bender that does not use some kind of mandrel to support the sides of the bend.
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(Gary @ Apr 2 2007, 11:23 PM) *

Here are a few pics I took of the flywheel end of my 12V VR6 which is from a '97 Passat. If you need me to take some specific measurements between bolt holes, let me know and I'll try to take them tomorrow before I reattach the tranny.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Apr 3 2007, 05:33 PM) *

Interesting. Did he use some trick or just stick the tube in and bend it? I have never had much luck bending any kind of tube with a bender that does not use some kind of mandrel to support the sides of the bend.

Here are some screen captures of the tool setup.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

John
Ok, so all said and done, that bender is in the $950 range once outfitted with the round tubing die.

Tubing Bender with Leverage multiplier.
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(John @ Apr 3 2007, 09:49 PM) *

Ok, so all said and done, that bender is in the $950 range once outfitted with the round tubing die.

Tubing Bender with Leverage multiplier.

Yup, and to bend larger tubing, Covell used a Mittler Brothers hydraulic bender which is at least $1300 more.
Porcharu
If you can make an engine mount you can make a tubing bender.
Take a look here bender plans
I made the HD version - cost was about $250 including the ram. Then you need to get the correct die and you are ready to start bending.
BTW I am using 1.5" .120 wall for my engine cradle.
Gary
QUOTE(Mid_Engine_914 @ Apr 3 2007, 10:02 PM) *

Here are a few pics I took of the flywheel end of my 12V VR6 which is from a '97 Passat. If you need me to take some specific measurements between bolt holes, let me know and I'll try to take them tomorrow before I reattach the tranny.

Those are great - thnx.

So it looks like an Audi 016 or 01E, a VW 012, or a Boxster G86 will all bolt to a VR6?
andys
QUOTE(Gary @ Apr 4 2007, 01:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Mid_Engine_914 @ Apr 3 2007, 10:02 PM) *

Those are great - thnx.

So it looks like an Audi 016 or 01E, a VW 012, or a Boxster G86 will all bolt to a VR6?

I'm curious. Has anyone actually done this mating of all these transaxles and knows for sure? The VR6 is a transverse mounted motor, unlike the longitudinal mounting of the other trans/motor combinations listed. The VR6 looks nothing like the 012, 01E, or 016 bellhousing bolt patterns (at least in the pictures), so an adapter plate would be required (I speculate). Additionally, the 016 input shaft protrudes past the bellhousing mounting surface, whereas the 012 and 01E input shaft is recessed so it's hard to imagine they all somehow neatly interchange.

If one wishes to go the route of a late model drivetrain, then I would suggest an Audi or VW 4 cyl. 1.8T or a 2.7 (either na or turbo) both WITH an 012 5 speed transaxle. Someone on the list mentioned that the CV bolt pattern (though it's a 911, I think) will bolt right up to the 012 drive flanges.

Andys
andys
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 3 2007, 11:47 PM) *

If you can make an engine mount you can make a tubing bender.
Take a look here bender plans
I made the HD version - cost was about $250 including the ram. Then you need to get the correct die and you are ready to start bending.
BTW I am using 1.5" .120 wall for my engine cradle.

Steve,

I was thinking of making one of those too. How much are the dies?

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.