Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Disk 4 spring vs 6 spring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
I am putting in a new clutch in my 2.7 CIS car. I pulled the trans out and I currently have a 4-spring installed and I never had any problems with the clutch grabbing.

Has anyone had better results with the real 6-spring clutch (901-116-014-00-M38), for an additional $120?
mills914/s
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 2 2007, 09:42 AM) *

I am putting in a new clutch in my 2.7 CIS car. I pulled the trans out and I currently have a 4-spring installed and I never had any problems with the clutch grabbing.

Has anyone had better results with the real 6-spring clutch (901-116-014-00-M38), for an additional $120?

I dont know either, I had a few guys tell me to upgrade when I do my clutch. I just got the parts (6spring) its cool looking. so when Its in I guess we will find out.
Justinp71
QUOTE(mills914/s @ Apr 2 2007, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 2 2007, 09:42 AM) *

I dont know either, I had a few guys tell me to upgrade when I do my clutch. I just got the parts (6spring) its cool looking. so when Its in I guess we will find out.

This can get a little confusing b/c the new 4 spring is actually a 6-spring.

Did you buy the $180 clutch disc?
SLITS
The difference between 4 & 6 is supposedly a smoother takeup (engagement). That's it! I doubt that the 6 spring is actually stronger in the hub area.
Joe Ricard
Friction material is EXACTLY the same. The swept are for friction surfaces are EXACTLY the same. other than more money the performance is the SAME.

If you think you need you need smoother take up when starting out from a stop LEARN HOW TO DRIVE.
mills914/s
I got this one 290 for everything/ All sachs parts
SLITS
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 2 2007, 10:36 AM) *

Friction material is EXACTLY the same. The swept are for friction surfaces are EXACTLY the same. other than more money the performance is the SAME.

If you think you need you need smoother take up when starting out from a stop LEARN HOW TO DRIVE.

Damn, the rednecks are getting testy of late .......

biggrin.gif
mills914/s
I know huhh... I got this cause people said it was what was in 911's even pelican said it's a good idea.
SLITS
QUOTE(mills914/s @ Apr 2 2007, 10:40 AM) *

I know huhh... I got this cause people said it was what was in 911's even pelican said it's a good idea.

It is what was in the early 911. The pressure plate has about 200? more pounds clamping force 1100 vs 900 ( which is the same as a 2.0L 4 cylinder as opposed to the 1.7L 4 cylinder).

Oh well .....................
Justinp71
QUOTE(mills914/s @ Apr 2 2007, 10:37 AM) *

I got this one 290 for everything/ All sachs parts

That disc is the actual replacement 4-spring disc, they don't make the actual "4-spring" disc anymore. From what I've heard they were not a very good design.

I have one of those (the one in your picture) laying around (new) I think I will just use it. It appears that the more expensive disc just has different springs in it.
Joe Ricard
WHat's that got to do with anything. 911 didn't make any more torque than a good 2.0L starting off from a start.

About the only thing you gain is the spring diameter is smaller on the 6 spring. but the wire size is also smaller.

The function of the springs has no bearing on the amount of power the clutch will hold.
mills914/s
Joe what clutch is in you race car? dont say centerforce!!!
SLITS
He prolly runs a 3 praline racing clutch.
Joe Ricard
Actually had a 6 spring in it with a sachs pressure plate. lasted a good long time. 60K miles and 400 + autocross runs and 2 track days.

got a 4 spring in it now and it grabs just fine. by that I mean launching from the line at 3500 RPM spinning 11" slicks Shifting at 6000 RPM and the 2nd to 3rd gear probably gets the worst abuse as I am running a ZD 3rd so the torque to the wheels is pretty high. Shift goes pretty fast and my foot in flat in it to the next turn.

New motor will have a Kennedy solid 6 puc. and sachs pressure plate.
brer
I have a 4 spring disc that was hitting the flywheel bolts.
Of course other factors may have contributed besides the larger springs in the 4 spring.
Joe Ricard
Yup not having the 3rd surface turned the same amount as the froction surface and the pressure plate mounting flange. The flywheel bolt flange also needs to be cut.
mills914/s
[quote name='Joe Ricard' date='Apr 2 2007, 11:58 AM' post='882866']
Actually had a 6 spring in it with a sachs pressure plate. lasted a good long time. 60K miles and 400 + autocross runs and 2 track days.

Thank you Joe thats what I wanted to hear.
I can handle 60,000 miles/400+autocrosses/2trackdays ....Out of my new 6 spring sachs stuff im putting in.
Joe Ricard
The rule in my car is:
The clutch is either all the way in or all the way out.
Don't drag the clutch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.