Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which oil provides the best protection? You might be surprised to find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott Carlberg
(I've copied this from another Board, no, NOT another 914 board!) laugh.gif

In a nutshell:

A magazine conducted a very interesting test. They compared the maximum loads -in lbs- that 18 different brand name synthetic and semi-synthetic oils could withstand before braking down. The data of the test demonstrates long term wear in a very short period of time.

The results? Royal Purple, Penrite and Valvoline did the best.

Mobile 1 and Redline were among the worst. I wish they would've tested Amsoil.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
highways
Nice! Thank you.

beerchug.gif
jr91472
Oh cool. I have been using Royal Purple because it matches my car... w00t.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The PDFs are unreadable, at least on my screen. That machine has been around in one form or another since before WW2, and a clever oil or additive salesman can make it say anything he wants. The results you quote are only one of dozens of factors considered in manufacturers recommending a particular oil. If you worked on sludge-prone VW 1.8T motors as I do, you'd know that synthetic oils provide FAR more of what that particular engine needs than any other type of oil. Oil "weight", the viscosity, also matters. You don't want to use a thin oil in our engines, and you REALLY don't want to run something like 20w50 in a modern motor. MB uses a 0w20 in many of their new cars! Try THAT in your teener ......... Just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true, or even half true. Enough of this, gotta go. The Cap'n
Air_Cooled_Nut
The article is difficult to read. Looks like the test procedure is flawed from what I can read on the first page vs. what Timken has on their FAQ page:
http://www.timken.com/lubrication/faq.asp

And the testing comes under fire from the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers:
http://www.whitmores.com/TechInfoBulletins...e%20is%20it.pdf

And more:
http://www.swepcousa.com/lubesite/lubepdf/TG_200104.pdf
Jake Raby
I have been using Royal Purple for almost 6 years now....

We have tested most oils our selves and found only one that beat RP in wear metal after pre and post analysis as well as over the road field testing in aircooled engines specifically.

LN Engineering and my R&D division have been working together attaining this data since 2004, read more at www.lnengineering.com/oil

Last year I did a 3,450 mile trip with full data acquisition where I tested 5 different oils..... Our aircooled engines are vastly different from their watercooled counterparts.

FYI_ I have went as much as 23,000 miles on an oil change in my 912E with Royal Purple oil.
Hammy
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 3 2007, 01:02 PM) *

We have tested most oils our selves and found only one that beat RP in wear metal after pre and post analysis as well as over the road field testing in aircooled engines specifically.

LN Engineering and my R&D division have been working together attaining this data since 2004, read more at www.lnengineering.com/oil

Last year I did a 3,450 mile trip with full data acquisition where I tested 5 different oils..... Our aircooled engines are vastly different from their watercooled counterparts.

FYI_ I have went as much as 23,000 miles on an oil change in my 912E with Royal Purple oil.

What weight Royal Purple?
JRust
Heck I can go at least 15k on my 10w40 valvoline motor oil! piratenanner.gif

Of course I have a to add a quart a week as I leave most of it wherever I park idea.gif
bondo

read more at www.lnengineering.com/oil

404 not found huh.gif
Gint

Great info Jake, thanks. How do you determine when that oil "needs" to changed? In other words, how did you determine that it needed to be changed at 23k miles?
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 3 2007, 06:49 AM) *

Just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true, or even half true. Enough of this, gotta go. The Cap'n

..I certainly wasn't trying to say THIS was the truth Cap'n biggrin.gif

Just thought it might be an Interesting read.

Anyone ever visited this Oil site before? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
orange914
QUOTE(Hammy @ Apr 3 2007, 01:49 PM) *

What weight Royal Purple?

what weight royal purple? old vrs. new? confused24.gif
wbergtho
Heck I can go at least 15k on my 10w40 valvoline motor oil!

Of course I have a to add a quart a week as I leave most of it wherever I park

Engines that leak this much oil are always getting a fresh oil change...assuming the owner keeps topping it off. Only downside is the filter not getting as much attention.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.