Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the right Optima Battery?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Hey gents I am going to go get my new Optima Battery soon. Seeing as how my car has not even had a battery in it for a few years. I am not quite sure what to get. I am replacing my stock battery tray so I am keeping it stock. Just want to get the right size to fit the stock battery clamp. I suppose I can always measure it to find out. I am closer to the computer right now though. Thanks
blitZ
The Optima 34R will fit our cars with the posts in the right place. I have one, it's worked well so far.
736conver
agree.gif

I think you also have to cut off something on the side of the battery to fit the tray right? It been about 5 years since I installed one. Dont really remember
Tobra
I did not need to cut anything off. It even comes with a the right clampy thing to bolt it to tray, not the bolt though
JRust
Okay so the Optima 34R is the one. That is what I needed. Does any auto shop carry these or do you have to get them at a special place? Thanks
1970 Neun vierzehn
JR,
Here in Cincinnati there are two "Batteries Plus" stores that are part of a national franchise chain. They carry Optima batteries in stock. Check out their web site at www.batteriesplus.com to see if there might be a loction convenient to you.

Paul
TheCabinetmaker
They are made by Interstate battteries, and they have stores just about everywhere.
anthony
You can also fit the regular 34 red top by using a slightly longer ground strap. (The 34R was hard to find locally for me.)
Tobra
34R is same one for the integra, civic and many other Hondas. If there is much Rice-a-Roni in the Land o'Beaver, the will have them, what is Portland, three hour round trip? Try one of the off road shops if there is no batteries plus, they had it at Pep Boys here for $20 more than Batteries Plus.

Don't think you can hook a regular battery charger up to an Optima, pretty sure it is a bad idea for some reason, I guess someone will chime in...

or search for it
bigkensteele
I was at Sam's Club today, and they carry Optima. They have 2 sizes, and I will be going back tomorrow to see if 34R is one of them. I think that one was $149.99 and the other was $162.99, but I don't recall what the sizes were.
JRust
You can't hook a regular battery charger up to it? That is the first I have heard of that. Anyone know this for sure? Do I have to buy a special charger for it?
anthony
You can hook a regular battery charger up to an Optima. However, if you run it all the way down a regular charger probably won't bring it back. They need a high amperage shock charge to get them back.

davesprinkle
OK, here's the story about Optima battery fitment. I just did it this past week.

1. First of all, get the Optima 34R. This is a red-top battery, of Optima's 34-size (whatever that means). The R suffix indicates that the battery terminals are reversed in orientation from what is considered standard. Unless you want to buy different battery cables, you'll need the 34R to fit the stock 914 wiring loom. Note that the current version of the 34R has a red top; early versions had an orange top.
2. From what I understand, early versions of the 34R fit quite well in the 914 battery tray. However, the current version has four little tabs at the bottom of the battery case that clash with the edges of the 914 battery tray. The tabs extend from the bottom of the battery, measure roughly 1"x5", and extend beyond the case by about 3/8". I trimmed them by using the blade from a coping saw. (Without going into the details of this lesson; take my advice, don't use a utility knife...) Be very careful about how deeply you cut -- if you get into the battery cavity, your expensive sealed battery will be neither.
3. You will need to use the Optima Series 65 adapters to adequately secure the battery using the stock hold-down. There are 2 adapters, located on the long sides of the battery. Recent batteries include the adapters; early versions did not have the adapters, but apparently were available from Optima free of charge.
4. You do NOT need a special charger for the Optima batteries.
5. If you live in the Portland, OR area, check with NW Battery Service on Belmont & 39th. They have pallets of 34Rs in stock; your 914 should only need 1...

First pic is of the scars from the tab removal surgery. You'll note that the roughly rectilinear scars are from the tab -- the other scratches are from my attempts to file down the evidence. Avert your CW eyes; this is not pretty.

Second pic is of the series 65 adapter. In the background, you can see one of the adapters already installed on the base of the battery.

Third pic is of the battery when mounted on the 914 tray. Note how the stock hold-down clamp works in concert with the series 65 adapter.
smooth_eddy
Yep, just hit it lightly with a belt sander to knock the tabs off so it will fit the tray. Be sure to ask for the factory hold down. The 914 hold down will not work very well. I bought mine on the internet. Delivered to my door.

Eddy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.