Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebirth of a garage queen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
My 60 year old frame finally got the guts to think it was forty one again this weekend. It's suffered since!

Background: my 72 has been a basic garage queen since '75. Yeah, it was concour'ed, auto-x'd 7 rallyed until the early '80's, but has been seeing 4 white walls for most of the time since. 17 thousand miles since 1975. It's been a perfect 914 for many years. Won over 40 concours awards & 2 Parades between 1974 and 1989. Has hardly seen the light of day in 5 years, since it developed an oil leak from the #1 cylinder head gasket/seal.

I want it back!

So, first order of business is to raise it up, drain all old fuel & change all lines, gasket & seals fuel related. Last gas I put in this car was probably about $1.50/gallon. Kept the topside up OK, but the bottom has suffered from spiders & cobwebs - I saw one today that was big enough to need a flea collar? Slithered up inside one of the front struts - made me leave the underside quikly!

So, I ask in case someone is interested in watching this progress. I'll do all the fuel things, but don't have the energy to pull the motor & replace the #1 gasket - I'll have to farm that out. Let me know if anyone's interested in the progree & I'll post it.

I REALLY hate to admit this, but nearly 20 years since the last time this car was on jackstands has made me recognize that I'm not as flexible as I once was. Kills me - thought this would be a walk in the park!

The will is there - the body.....? And I work on my feet every day!
Pat
LMKII
Bleyseng
Pat, I am turning 55 later this year and I still climb under the cars. Blair my son has to pull me out thou.... thumb3d.gif

Also, more beer makes the joints more limber and hurt less! beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 3 2007, 09:07 PM) *

Pat, I am turning 55 later this year and I still climb under the cars. Blair my son has to pull me out thou.... thumb3d.gif

Also, more beer makes the joints more limber and hurt less! beerchug.gif

Geoff,

Unfortunately, a few beers bloat me up enogh to lift the car if I'm under it. But your idea is sound. Cabernet should work as well, sans gas!
Pat

Attached is a first pic. Doesn't do justice to the spider webs (which are kinda scary), but does show the fasteners that have to be redone. These were all hand polished when I parked it, so I think it's time to replace them with correct finish.

By the way, the car is being gone over to replace EVERY rubber fuel line & seal, as well as all vacuum lines. I'll do these myself. It also has a small oil leak coming from the #1 cylinder (head seal), which I will farm out. I HATE oil leaks!
Ferg
I Look forward to this thread. thumb3d.gif

Maybe you should lay some spider traps down for a day or two blink.gif I hate those buggers.

Also looks good under there, but I'd "ding" ya for the zip ties on the speedo and clutch cable laugh.gif

Ferg
1970 Neun vierzehn
Lookin' good thumb3d.gif , but ple-e-ease don't go under your car using those infernal ratchet jack stands yikes.gif (see Gints thread about his unfortunate "face-to-face" encounter w/ his 914 in the "garage").

BTW, if you plan to actually drive your car after you clean(!) it up, I'd put some grease around that clutch cable pulley. In a very feeble attempt to keep that area clean, I always kept that pulley spotless. Within the year, the cable became frayed and snapped. Since then, I've kept that clutch cable around the pulley swathed in white grease. Still good after 30 years now, and the car, as you know, does get driven.

All preaching aside, the bottom looks really, really nice clap56.gif
Johny Blackstain
Very clean, please continue! thumb3d.gif

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 5 2007, 10:50 AM) *

I Look forward to this thread. thumb3d.gif

Maybe you should lay some spider traps down for a day or two blink.gif I hate those buggers.

Also looks good under there, but I'd "ding" ya for the zip ties on the speedo and clutch cable laugh.gif

Ferg

Ferg - good idea about the spider traps! You never know what kind of spider that was that just took a chucnk out of you.

Since, after the "Gint episode" I'm going shopping for some safer jackstands, it'll leave a couple of days for the spider traps to work.

As to the ties on the cables..... yeah, they aren't correct. The rear one shouldn't be there at all, but the last time I was under there the factory forward tie wasn't available. I Just like keeping things from flopping around. Gig accepted, but will try to come up with something a little closer to factory.

BTW folks, anything you see in this or the upcoming pics that you don't feel is correct, bring it up. I'm counting on this being a learning experience for everyone.
It takes a lot to hurt my feelings, because I dish out a lot & expect to take it back. Hell, it's all good natured fun anyway.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 5 2007, 11:08 AM) *

Lookin' good thumb3d.gif , but ple-e-ease don't go under your car using those infernal ratchet jack stands yikes.gif (see Gints thread about his unfortunate "face-to-face" encounter w/ his 914 in the "garage").

BTW, if you plan to actually drive your car after you clean(!) it up, I'd put some grease around that clutch cable pulley. In a very feeble attempt to keep that area clean, I always kept that pulley spotless. Within the year, the cable became frayed and snapped. Since then, I've kept that clutch cable around the pulley swathed in white grease. Still good after 30 years now, and the car, as you know, does get driven.

All preaching aside, the bottom looks really, really nice clap56.gif

Paul,
You are WAY to kind - the bottom is a train wreck. Look at all the corroded pieces that need to be redone! And, the rear section pic I sent doesn't show the spder colonies well. Check out the pic from under the front!

And, BTW, even though I use six jackstands, I'm replacing them with the OSHA type before I go under. Weather got crappy & cold again yesterday (snow today!) so I bought some time. Yes, I WILL be driving the car after this - it's time.
Pat
Pat Garvey
As of this writing, it's still 43 degrees in the garage - too cold for old hands! And, I just blew out a knee, which ain't going to help!

We'll "git 'er done" though - just might take a little longer. Parts are all in place & ready to go in.
jd74914
Pat, what are the 2 pairs of bolts in the trunk for?
Ferg
Better hope you didn't have a momma spider lay eggs...

I took these pics from another site. The car is a squareback, and momma laid her eggs in a rust hole

blink.gif

Click to view attachment
Ferg
blink.gif huh.gif barf.gif

Yikes!

SGB
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 11 2007, 10:58 AM) *

Good question. Whatcha got bolted in there Pat, an extra engine?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 5 2007, 04:43 PM) *

BTW folks, anything you see in this or the upcoming pics that you don't feel is correct, bring it up.

i've got one thing. those tires (well, at least in the closeup of the rear) look like they have been on there for decades ...

i'd highly recommend to get a set of new tires before you take her out for a spin!
bye1.gif Andy
John

Nevermind. (I see you are getting rid of those jackstands)
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(SGB @ Apr 17 2007, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 11 2007, 10:58 AM) *

Good question. Whatcha got bolted in there Pat, an extra engine?

An aftermarket sway bar?
Pat Garvey
Multiple responses here:

1. New jackstands ordered.

2. I HATE spiders! Jeez, you're scaring the crap out of me.

3. The bolts in the front pan are leftovers from a very early H&H swaybar - long gone. Yeah, I know I should get rid of them - someday. That damned bar hung so low it collected everything. Long since replaced with a proper bar.

4. Andy - what are you talking about. Those tires are only 28 years old & have less than 5k miles on them! Amazingly, they still hold air & aren't cracked, but I'll pick up somethiing from Cocker(sp?) for these rims. I'll be putting my chromes back on with some new tires as soon as I can figure what's best for me.

Since we've been socked in with this damned nor'easter this week (5" of rain, followed by 4 inches of snow), and it's been too cold to work in the garage, Iv'e been messing with retsoring some old FI parts (spares). By Friday, we're back into the 60's & my new stands should be here. Still trying to find spider traps!
Pat Garvey
Well, the weather has become nice & I got a call that my new pin-type jackstands were in. Time to go to work. First stop, Manny, Moe & Jacks for the jackstands. I'm greeted by a 300 pound hulk with a heart tatooed ON HIS NOSE, named SCOOTER. He (nice as can be) tells me that my TRUCK stands are in - 6000 pound capacity, no less. Politely tell him I ordered 4000 pound. Shrugs, tells me this is what the sent & they're safer anyway (can't really argue with that), but when he told me they are $45 each....well, I told Scooter where he could put them & left QUICKLY.

So, warm weather, questionable jackstands, day off...I went to work anyway. Decided to keep the work to the corners & cleanup until I find some proper stands. The changeover of the fuel lines can wait another week. Time to pick a corner, shop vac out the varmints/spiders living there & start cleaning (never have been able to find spider traps - must be a regional thing)(the big ones can really fight, but the shopvac always wins). Started on the drivers' side front corner, because the light is better. Pulled the wheel off & was dismayed at the dust & corrosion of several fasteners. Actually cleaned up pretty well - did you know that spiders shit? Had to clean off 4 years of spider crap (or whatever it was) from suspension pieces. Also found a, as we call them, mud daubers nest in the fenderwell - long abandoned.

Overall, it wasn't so bad - but this is only one corner & it needs some redo help. Still have 3 more corners, 2 half bellies & an engine/trans to clean. But, not going "under" until I can trust the jackstands, though these have served me well for many years & the car is stable as can be. Got the "gints".
John
Nice adjustable sway bar arms.
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 3 2007, 06:53 PM) *

My 60 year old frame finally got the guts to think it was forty one again this weekend. It's suffered since!

Background: my 72 has been a basic garage queen since '75. Yeah, it was concour'ed, auto-x'd 7 rallyed until the early '80's, but has been seeing 4 white walls for most of the time since. 17 thousand miles since 1975. It's been a perfect 914 for many years. Won over 40 concours awards & 2 Parades between 1974 and 1989. Has hardly seen the light of day in 5 years, since it developed an oil leak from the #1 cylinder head gasket/seal.

I want it back!

So, first order of business is to raise it up, drain all old fuel & change all lines, gasket & seals fuel related. Last gas I put in this car was probably about $1.50/gallon. Kept the topside up OK, but the bottom has suffered from spiders & cobwebs - I saw one today that was big enough to need a flea collar? Slithered up inside one of the front struts - made me leave the underside quikly!

So, I ask in case someone is interested in watching this progress. I'll do all the fuel things, but don't have the energy to pull the motor & replace the #1 gasket - I'll have to farm that out. Let me know if anyone's interested in the progree & I'll post it.

I REALLY hate to admit this, but nearly 20 years since the last time this car was on jackstands has made me recognize that I'm not as flexible as I once was. Kills me - thought this would be a walk in the park!

Pat
LMKII

Hey there Pat..What Are the miles on your car???
And engine has never been dropped??
Thanx Rx
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Apr 21 2007, 08:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 3 2007, 06:53 PM) *

I want it back!

Pat
LMKII

Hey there Pat..What Are the miles on your car???
And engine has never been dropped??
Thanx Rx

Miles are 67,914 (wierd, huh?).

Engine has been dropped 3 times - all for concours prep (yeah, I'm a Concdweep). It's really pretty easy, after the first time - takes about an hour & a half & makes cleanup sooo much easier.

Unfortunately, the last time was in '89 & I'm starting to forget the sequence - mostly because I've been lazy & too busy with work. Well, that's done (the work thing). So, now I become "reborn"! Though, this time, I'll take the motor to a pro to have the number one head re-sealed (leaking, because I didn't follow the proper torque sequence - let this be a lesson to everyone. It makes a huge difference). Don't have a motor stand anymore either.
Pat Garvey
Thought an update might be appropriate here.

The fuel lines (except the upper engine) are done. Old gas drained & taken to a shop that heat the floor in the winter with it (and old oil).

Most of the spiders have been euthanized. So now I'm working on cleaning/redoing finishes left unattended for too long.

Looked closely at the brake calipers & they need to be refurbished - Eric will get these in the fall.

Need new XAS's. Will get them from Coker. Problem there is I need to find someone who won't touch the fronts or backs of my wheels. May have found someone close by, but haven't talked with them yet.

#1 cylinder oil leak was non-existent. Sealed just fine. Oil leak was coming from improper drain plug seal, which travelled to the left side.

I now have a spare set of yellow top injectors, which will be sent to Canada for refurbishment in a couple of weeks. Will put them in & send my originals for the same treatment.

What I'm noticing is critical rubber pieces splitting. The "Doctor" has what I need, but I'm surprised, since they have been treated for 35 years.

It continues & I'm certain I'll spend a bunch before completion. Just wish I could find that early rain tray!

Pat
Johny Blackstain
Check the gaskets on your door switches- mine were disintigrating. Original on left, replacement on right.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 29 2007, 07:38 PM) *

Check the gaskets on your door switches- mine were disintigrating. Original on left, replacement on right.

Al,
It gets worse every week with the miniscule rubber parts. I keep finding pieces that have begun to "go south" all over the car. Most of these have been replaced once before & they've all been "treated" annually. Building a list for George, but want all at once.

Scares the crap out of me & I'm wondering when my dash will crack. Last one cracked 21 years ago, while garaged!!!

Damned old cars!
Pat
Johny Blackstain
Paranoia- the state of mind that occurs when one buys a white vinyl, cloth backed table cloth to keep over the dash... inside the garage. When I wash the car I have it over the dash. The dash does not see sunlight & this has me freaked regarding concours- don't know what I'm going to do. Maybe I'll pull it off & fold it up @ the last minute. In some ways Pat I'm ten times worse than you biggrin.gif .
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 1 2007, 09:16 PM) *

Paranoia- the state of mind that occurs when one buys a white vinyl, cloth backed table cloth to keep over the dash... inside the garage. When I wash the car I have it over the dash. The dash does not see sunlight & this has me freaked regarding concours- don't know what I'm going to do. Maybe I'll pull it off & fold it up @ the last minute. In some ways Pat I'm ten times worse than you biggrin.gif .

Al,

The Gods-o-Vinyl will determine when your dash will crack. You are helpless with your silly table cloth. One day you'll lift it and THERE IT WILL BE - a very small split, just to the right of the guage cluster. My theory is that it's a function of two things:

1. Stress - like most plastic/foam parts, it's manufactured to be linear. When it's mounted it becomes stressed downward at the corners. The foam underneath gives it the ability to flex, but after a period of time #2 thing comes into play.

2. Loss of plasticizer. I use the term loosely, but it is a chemical compound in the vinyl that is supposed to keep it flexible. It dries out over time, making the "stressed" part less flexible & more brittle. It's not the foam interior that is to blame, but the exterior vinyl cover. The plasticizer is in all cars - witness the fog that accumulates on your windshield on hot days - that's it escaping. Modern cars seem to have changed compounds & do do that as much, but we don't have modern 914's do we?

So, what can be done? I have no magic potions & am waiting for my current one to split. Buy a new one (if you can find it - and you can)? How old is it? How's it been stored? COULD crack as soon as you mount it, and it's no walk in the park to do (especially for an old fart like me).

Keep your fingers crossed, I guess. As with all sojourns to a Parade concours (assuming you're going), it will crack as you pull into the lot, or on the way. But, maybe not. Something seems to happen to all Parade concours people who drive the cars. It's usually minor, but a good idea to take along spare critical parts.

Pat
highways
Why don't you set off a flee bomb fogger thing in the garage? I think they kill spiders too...(should say on box) and will get all the hidden ones you didn't get.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(highways @ Aug 9 2007, 02:32 AM) *

Why don't you set off a flee bomb fogger thing in the garage? I think they kill spiders too...(should say on box) and will get all the hidden ones you didn't get.

Other than under the logitudinal (rocker)covers, I've sucked those suckers(and the nest) up with my mighty super vac, so that issue is sorta over. Though I may find surprises in the panel covers. No matter, I wear gyno gloves under there. Not a problem so far.

Afraid to set off bombs of any kind because my 73T is also in there. Worried about fallout.
Pat
Pat Garvey
Boy, I never expected a day like today. It's high summer & been too hot to work in the garage. But today started out in the high 70's & actually cooled down as it progressed. My day off, so I spent 10 hours out there. Looked at the 911 & said nah! Need to pull some parts from the 914.

Pulled the drivers' side turn signal bucket out - the wiring boot turned to dust in my hands! Expected that.

Put new fasteners of the DS headlight motor bracket. Expected that.

Cleaned up & polished the metal brake lines on the DS - no problems.

Removed the foglight grills, to clean up & polish - disaster! Sfter 35 years of care, they have given up! I blame it on spider crap. Must be acidic & it was rampant.

So now I have to find some others. Yeah, I can buy new, and No, they aren't overpriced. I thought about buying new ones in the mid-80's , because I had a small chip in each. They were about $90/each then, so I decided I could put up with the chips. They're only about 25% more after all these years, so unless I can find some pristine ones for less, that's what I'll have to do.

All in all, a pretty good day - lots of things accomplished & never broke a sweat.
ScooterD

Pat,
Where are you going to buy new grilles from and how much are they exactly?
Scott
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ScooterD @ Aug 12 2007, 10:39 PM) *

Pat,
Where are you going to buy new grilles from and how much are they exactly?
Scott

Scott,
They aren't cheap from anyone. But the price increases since the mid-80's are less than 30%. I checked both of the PP's - Performance Products and Pelican Parts, and they are within 3 bucks of each other - for each side. It'll still set me back about $230-240, plus shipping. Don't know what George has them for - his website is horrible (get that George? - you're losing sales, bud!). I'll buy new, because I cannot bring the old ones back. But they sure won't go on the 914 for travelling - I'll put the old ones on for that & carry the new ones inside.

Seems like every area I touch needs refurbishment. A hundred here, couple hundred there, the tires!!!!!!, the brakes (no problem with that, after 35 years). Starting to turn into a small money pit. What the heck, it's our only child! Far cheaper than Penn State!
Pat

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.