Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Cell Phone Manners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschecb
I work at a retail/wholesale/commercial//internet store. Less sometimes in the retail side of things but they still come in. Here is the deal! Please follow along.

Customer walks in: I say. Hi how can I help you? He has a cell phone and said hold on I have call. I leave and go back to my office.

He calls out for me (after his cell phone call is done) and said where did you go? I said I had work to do also! We start to talk and he gets another cell call and tells me to hold on.

Again I go back to what I was doing and he calls me back out again and asks me what my problem was? I said what problem? He said I am trying to buy/have service done or what ever and asked me why I kept leaving. (do I need to go on?)

Who puts up with this shit?

Is it me? I don't think so!

Keep your cell phones in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will be cold day in hell when I deal with this kind of arrogance

And yes I can afford it!!!!!!!!
grantsfo
Oh come on! There have been assholes long before cell phones. Retail is retail. Either suck it up or get out of the line of fire. biggrin.gif
alpha434
Tell him to f$*ing leave. You have the right to refuse service to any douchebag asking for it.
ChrisPaegelow
Haha this reminds me of one time I was at the DMV, and I was in line for like two hours behind this guy. So he finally gets to the front, starts talking to the lady in the window, and his cell phone rings, and he takes the call!!! The lady told him to go to the back of the line, and he got REALLY mad and left.

I walked up to the window laughing, and the old lady was like "That's how we roll up in here!"

It was awesome.
Crazyhippy
I keep my phone on me, and will tell whoever is calling that i'll call them back. the person in my face gets my immediate attention. Doesn't matter if it's the drivethrough guy, the cashier @ the supermarket, or someone i see everyday. It's a respect thing.

BJ(hold on a sec, i've gotta take this call)H
jd74914
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Apr 4 2007, 01:00 AM) *

I keep my phone on me, and will tell whoever is calling that i'll call them back. the person in my face gets my immediate attention. Doesn't matter if it's the drivethrough guy, the cashier @ the supermarket, or someone i see everyday. It's a respect thing.

agree.gif In fact, unless its a really important call I never pick up (though my phone is always on vibrate so no one really notices)
porschecb
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 3 2007, 08:23 PM) *

Oh come on! There have been assholes long before cell phones. Retail is retail. Either suck it up or get out of the line of fire. biggrin.gif

Suck it up!!? I have delt with every kind of retail untill cell phones!! Yea now I have a new kind of asshole! Line of fire? NEVER! Like it or not they will be trained. slap.gif
jasons
Yeah, cell phones have created a whole new level of selfish rudeness. Old friend use to invite me out to dinner. He would get a call, and just keep talking throughout dinner which always annoyed me.

When I am the guy with the phone, I try to appologize and ask the person providing service if I can take the call. Then be brief. Or, I just take it, say I have to, and forefeit my turn if its that important. But there is no need the world should stop for me, you, or anyone else.

LarryR
QUOTE(porschecb @ Apr 3 2007, 09:12 PM) *

I work at a retail/wholesale/commercial//internet store. Less sometimes in the retail side of things but they still come in. Here is the deal! Please follow along.

Customer walks in: I say. Hi how can I help you? He has a cell phone and said hold on I have call. I leave and go back to my office.

He calls out for me (after his cell phone call is done) and said where did you go? I said I had work to do also! We start to talk and he gets another cell call and tells me to hold on.

Again I go back to what I was doing and he calls me back out again and asks me what my problem was? I said what problem? He said I am trying to buy/have service done or what ever and asked me why I kept leaving. (do I need to go on?)

Keep your cell phones in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the customer is always right poke.gif

J/K I am suprised you did not proceed to shove his cell into.... when he talked to you like that ... Oh well guess it takes all kinds have a beer and laugh... his bad carma will come around to get him. beerchug.gif
highways
This is exactly why I carry 2 1/2' of aluminum foil in my pocket. 2 1/2' is enough to wrap the cell phone into a ball of foil- around the persons head. No more signal, no more chat chat.
Hammy
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Apr 3 2007, 10:00 PM) *

I do the same.
Either that or I'll mute my phone and call the person back.
But it is just plain rude to answer a phone right in someone's face and pretend they're not there, until their little phone call is done of course.

SO you did the same exact thing I would do. Don't need to stand there waiting for them to get their chit chat over with.
Jake Raby
Pricks like this guy are the reason why I work behind a closed gate!
abbott295
Isn't this a lot like being in a store, at the parts counter, when the company phone rings and they take the call and leave you standing there? Most people will put the caller on hold, but sometimes not. Rather like cutting in line; should not be tolerated.
r_towle
I use my cellphone for both business and non business calls.
Its the only number on my business card.
So, Im tapping 3000 minutes a month.
My phone rings everywhere...in the bathroom always makes my jump.

But, I use vibrate all the time.
If I am talking to someone, I have VM for the call that is coming in.
If its really important to that person calling, they will call back.

Rich
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(porschecb @ Apr 3 2007, 09:12 PM) *

I hate the guy who comes to the counter and while we are all on the phone talking to mail order customers, shouts "HELLO, HELLO!" Even though he sees us talking on the phones!!!!!!!
The worst cell phone guys are the ones who have the device attached to their ears. You KNOW that they REALLY feel important!!!!! We just wait until they finish all of their calls and then help them!
effutuo101
I always have my phone on and have to take calls 24/7. Handling problems at customer accounts is my job. If I am in the middle of something, I will take the call and ask if it is important or if I can call back. If what I am doing is more important, then I make arrangements before I go. Voice mail was created for a reason. I try not to be rude, but, sometimes I have to. I always aplogize to whoever I am dealing with. I agree with the fact that you have the right to refuse service. If I where in your shoes, I would have explained to the person that you are running a business and your time is worth money. Ask him/ her if they are willing to pay to have you stand and wait for them to finish the conversation. Othwise, your in the office filling orders and doing the same thing he is. Making money. BTW, I really try to make sure to turn my phone to vibrate when I am dining out. If I have to take a call, I excuse myself and walk outside to talk.
My personal pet problem is people on airplanes that keep talking. I have listened to the conversations, they really are not that important.
brer
grab phone, Destroy like John Belushi would.

Then humbly say. sorry.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
cell phones make for good "cellf importance!" It is amazing how many itinerants one sees walking down the street chatting on their cell phones.

Allan
I would have done the same thing you did. I wouldn't stand idle while someone was chatting on the phone for more than 30 seconds.

One of my biggest issues with cell phones is those people who refuse to turn them off or to vibrate while they are in a meeting or training class. If I'm teaching a class and someones cell goes off I'll stop the class, point out the offending culprit to the other students and tell them that the class will run a little longer thanks to him or her.

I always put my phone in my front pants pocket on vibrate. biggrin.gif
bperry
If you want to make sure you don't get situations like this,
go buy a cell phone jammer. Not exactly legal under FCC rules
but if you look around you can easily find them for a couple hundred bucks.
Some churches are even installing them to prevent rude patrons from
talking during services.
Simply put it under the counter and flip the power switch
when necessary. Problem solved....

There are even portable units that you could keep in your pocket.

--- bill
sww914
I love my cellphone and I use it all the time, no matter how rude it is. I have a bluetooth headset that I only remove when bathing. It makes me look really hi-tech and cyborgy.
I like to talk really loud in public to annoy those around me, and If I'm someplace where most people don't have lots of money, I like to shout things like "no way I'm paying 18 million for that property! It's not even worth 15 million! I'll give you 14.5, tops."
It's a PDA phone with internet browsing, so when I'm in a restaurant, I can tell the waiter to wait a minute before I order- "I'm making a big stock transaction online, I'll be right with you."
Makes me feel like a real big-shot. I always try to have the loudest, most annoying ringtone available, too.
I love to talk loudly in public about the most mundane things so that everyone around can hear me, like arranging an oil change or a lunch date, for instance.
Hey, I've got a 2" penis, that's why I drive a crewcab longbed dually with a 454! I've got to do something to feel like a man.
happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 4 2007, 11:25 AM) *

grab phone, Destroy like John Belushi would.

Then humbly say. sorry.

I gave my love a cherry that had no stone
I gave my love a cell phone that had no tone
I ga... [grab] [crunch]

Problem solved!
Kargeek
[I love my cellphone and I use it all the time, no matter how rude it is. I have a bluetooth headset that I only remove when bathing. It makes me look really hi-tech and cyborgy.
I like to talk really loud in public to annoy those around me, and If I'm someplace where most people don't have lots of money, I like to shout things like "no way I'm paying 18 million for that property! It's not even worth 15 million! I'll give you 14.5, tops."
It's a PDA phone with internet browsing, so when I'm in a restaurant, I can tell the waiter to wait a minute before I order- "I'm making a big stock transaction online, I'll be right with you."
Makes me feel like a real big-shot. I always try to have the loudest, most annoying ringtone available, too.
I love to talk loudly in public about the most mundane things so that everyone around can hear me, like arranging an oil change or a lunch date, for instance.
Hey, I've got a 2" penis, that's why I drive a crewcab longbed dually with a 454! I've got to do something to feel like a man.
]

LOL! Today I needed that! Perfect!

Those of us who have grown up without all of the latest technology distractions can understand how much better the world used to be...the only thing I don't miss is having to stop by a greasy 7-11 pay phone while on the road to check messages.

We are creating a world of impatient instant gratification morons who have no respect for others.

DH
Spoke
Some retail counters have signs which requests you to not answer or talk on the phone while being waited on. For the rude dude for whom this thread is about, I think it would be ok to respond something like: "I wasn't sure if you would be on the call for 1 minute or 20 minutes."

In Asia cell phones are more popular than in the US and folks tend to be more courteous while on the phone. It is very common for folks to cover their mouths with their free hand to muffle their voices so it doesn't bother others. I do this now when in public; especially when at lunch or dinner with others.

On another cell phone topic, the US is one of the only countries where you pay to send a cell phone call AND pay to recieve a cell phone call. In Europe it is illegal to charge someone to receive a cell call. This is rediculous and hopefully will be changed in the future. Imagine receiving a long distance call at home on a wireline phone and YOU get charged for picking up the phone!

Spoke
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(sww914 @ Apr 4 2007, 10:23 AM) *

I love my cellphone and I use it all the time, no matter how rude it is. I have a bluetooth headset that I only remove when bathing. It makes me look really hi-tech and cyborgy.
happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

a natural comedian! VERY GOOD!!!!!!!
tdgray
Anybody listen to Bob and Tom? They have a character named Ken Tarmac that calls the show.

He is "that guy" on the airplane who whips out the cell phone as soon as you land and proceeds to talk loudly so that everyone can hear.

Typical call... "hey guy its Ken Tarmac...yeah we just landed" "Yeah ... workin on a big deal I'm in ATL now heading to ORD this afternoon for a big conference."

Funny Shit biggrin.gif av-943.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 3 2007, 10:11 PM) *

Yeah, cell phones have created a whole new level of selfish rudeness. Old friend use to invite me out to dinner. He would get a call, and just keep talking throughout dinner which always annoyed me...

Exactly what I was going to say. Cell phones mkae the nicest people incredibly rude and I had a friend that did that - so I stopped going to dinner with him and told him that when he wants to hang out with me, let me know...

Just before I moved here to CO in January I lived in the SouthBay in CA (essentially LA). Every a$$hole has a phone and are as rude as possible - I grew up with a bit of chivalry so I always hold the door for women, or anyone following me for that matter. I held the door for more than one woman that walked through, didn't even nod or wink but just kept right on talking. So my respect turns to immediate disrespect and I would say right by their phone ear "your welcome you disrespectful c*nt!". They luvs the c word and they had no problem forgetting about their phone call to bitch at me but didn't have the 1 sec to say thanks.

Respect begets respect and rude begets rude from me, so I say if they pick up the phone while in line, back of the line it is! If I am in line, I let it go to VM, that's what it is for and virtually no call is so important you HAVE to answer it right that minute. Maybe a call from an expectant wife but that is about it - but no business deal is going to fall thru because the guy had to wait 2 minutes for a call back (typical excuse for why people are rude - it's my business... my ass, it's two minutes, excuse yourself, walk outside and call back)

Unfortunately the real problem isn't with the a$$hole on the phone because he/she is oblivious - it is the raised blood pressure for those of us that know it is disrespectful and spend the next hour or two internally pissed off because of them - at least that is how I am - I let this stuff continue to stew for an hour until I want to get a gun and blow that goddamn bluetooth off of everyone I see and take the ear so they can't mount a new one.

Why they haven't been outlawed while driving is completely beyond me. I will gladly vote to give up that privilege to force the other idiots that can't walk and chew gum to not be able to use their's. Only time they should be used is to report an accident or emergency.

We did manage to survive, function and become the #1 superpower without cell phones, so they are not a requirement but a luxury and convenience.
1970 Neun vierzehn
clap56.gif clap56.gif
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Apr 4 2007, 01:31 PM) *

Yeah, cell phones have created a whole new level of selfish rudeness. Old friend use to invite me out to dinner. He would get a call, and just keep talking throughout dinner which always annoyed me...

Exactly what I was going to say. Cell phones mkae the nicest people incredibly rude and I had a friend that did that - so I stopped going to dinner with him and told him that when he wants to hang out with me, let me know...

Just before I moved here to CO in January I lived in the SouthBay in CA (essentially LA). Every a$$hole has a phone and are as rude as possible - I grew up with a bit of chivalry so I always hold the door for women, or anyone following me for that matter. I held the door for more than one woman that walked through, didn't even nod or wink but just kept right on talking. So my respect turns to immediate disrespect and I would say right by their phone ear "your welcome you disrespectful c*nt!". They luvs the c word and they had no problem forgetting about their phone call to bitch at me but didn't have the 1 sec to say thanks.

Respect begets respect and rude begets rude from me, so I say if they pick up the phone while in line, back of the line it is! If I am in line, I let it go to VM, that's what it is for and virtually no call is so important you HAVE to answer it right that minute. Maybe a call from an expectant wife but that is about it - but no business deal is going to fall thru because the guy had to wait 2 minutes for a call back (typical excuse for why people are rude - it's my business... my ass, it's two minutes, excuse yourself, walk outside and call back)

Unfortunately the real problem isn't with the a$$hole on the phone because he/she is oblivious - it is the raised blood pressure for those of us that know it is disrespectful and spend the next hour or two internally pissed off because of them - at least that is how I am - I let this stuff continue to stew for an hour until I want to get a gun and blow that goddamn bluetooth off of everyone I see and take the ear so they can't mount a new one.

Why they haven't been outlawed while driving is completely beyond me. I will gladly vote to give up that privilege to force the other idiots that can't walk and chew gum to not be able to use their's. Only time they should be used is to report an accident or emergency.

We did manage to survive, function and become the #1 superpower without cell phones, so they are not a requirement but a luxury and convenience.

Well stated clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
wbergtho
I keep my phone on me, and will tell whoever is calling that i'll call them back. the person in my face gets my immediate attention. Doesn't matter if it's the drivethrough guy, the cashier @ the supermarket, or someone i see everyday. It's a respect thing

That's how I do it too. Sounds like you were dealing with a direspectful asshole. You did exactly what any other decent person would have done.
jimtab
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Apr 4 2007, 01:31 PM) *

Ahhhh...but convenient for Whom? I have a pay-as-you-go cell that I keep in the car for emergencies or for MY convenience if I'm held up in traffic, need to change an appointment, etc. My feeling is that unless someone is bleeding out or I just won the lottery...I can wait to talk to you until I have finished what I'm doing...
Pat Garvey
Boy, has this thread hit a nerve with me!

When I retired, I gave up my mandatory cell phone - I hate them! Haven't carried one for couple of years now & the freedom is unbelievable.

Then, out of bordom, I started working in retail. Every 16 year-old seems to have an unlimited minutes cell, and we have lots of 16 year olds working for us. The store manager's policy is - no cell phones on you when you're working. If someone needs to get you for something important, they know the store phone number. Cells must be kept in the employee's locker.

He gives them ONE warning if he hears it ring or vib, and it's written in the employee file. Catches them again - fires them on the spot & sends them home - no appeals! He's done it 3 times in the past year & I bought him lunch each time.
We have raised/raising an entire community of extrememly rude kids.

On the other side, I've been working with customers a number of times (some of them senior citizens, who feel that the world will collapse if they don't answer the cell when it rings (usually some idioatic ring the grandchild has downloaded for them). If they take the call, I walk away. They usually bitch about that & I tell them that "I guess the fact that I was trying to help you was outwieghed by your rudeness, and you would find me when you were finished with your call" "So, here I am - what was it that was so non-important?"

As I said, I'm doing this to relieve boredom. Someone takes issue with me & bitches to the manager will have serious problems there. If they go higher - who gives a sh_t! I don't NEED the job.

Rude bastards!

Ahhh, I feel better!
MrKona
I travel by air most weeks, and this week, the FCC granted my wish of striking down the idea (for now) of allowing cell phone use on commercial flights. Thank you FCC! beer.gif

I swear, if they had allowed it, you'd be hearing about vigilante passenger incidents every week!
John
I have had enough of cell phones. They should be banned. We need laws to protect us from these EVIL devices.

Perhaps they will be banned when it is discovered that cell phones cause brain cancer.

Most people (yes the majority) can't walk and chew gum at the same time. How do you expect them to drive a car and talk on a cell phone at the same time?

Down with Cell Phones!!!!!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.